JoJo's Hempy SCROG Bucket C99 Grow Journal - 2015

Haha, I'm not tired of you posting here, I look forward to it! Also, don't worry - I think you're cool, but I'd have to see your setup to know for sure..

On the pictures, I completely understand. I was at the same point before I started my journal. I couldn't take good pictures because of the LED. After (too much) research, I solved my problem. I too planned on using my iPhone for pictures, but there didn't seem to be any good apps to solve the white balance issue to my satisfaction, and I didn't want to tweak each and every picture to get it just right.

I dug out my point-and-shoot, which is several years old, and in the settings you can set a custom white balance. I then set it using a white tote under my LED, and all the pictures come out perfect now. I then do some minimal processing to remove personal info and reduce size, then to 420 they go. If you may have an older camera sitting around, I'd play around and see what it can do. Mine has a manual mode, with several selections of white balances (auto, daylight, fluorescent, etc).

There must be a way... I do have another digital camera. I just have no other possible connection to the internet besides my phone. But if I can find a way to get the pics from the camera into my phone I could make it work.
I like the comparison photos :thumb: sometimes 3 days may be too little- it depends what's growing.
I'm not sure what it is- that little feeding tube thing. I'd be inclined to decorate it somehow - like maybe put an open mouth on the end. Or a thirsty cherub. Other than that- everything looks awesome.

I agree rambling can be inspiring! You never know what idea that might come out of it.

Your plants look great!

Since this is still all new to me and I am learning so much from everyone's journal here comes a silly question maybe.
I am on day 27 with mine and I see no trichomes, yours are awesome looking.
Do different plants not show as quick?

I am not a 100% as mine were bag seed, but believe some type of Kush, they have a citrus aroma.

There must be a way... I do have another digital camera. I just have no other possible connection to the internet besides my phone. But if I can find a way to get the pics from the camera into my phone I could make it work.
I like the comparison photos :thumb: sometimes 3 days may be too little- it depends what's growing.
I'm not sure what it is- that little feeding tube thing. I'd be inclined to decorate it somehow - like maybe put an open mouth on the end. Or a thirsty cherub. Other than that- everything looks awesome.

That's a tough one... I tried several apps which are supposed to give you that freedom, but I never could get it set where I'd like, at least for my LED. For HPS or MH, other apps probably fall within their range. I'd try "VSCO Cam" - it's free and has several good manual settings.

And I'll keep doing the comparisons! I thought it was a good idea (when there's something to compare), since with some journals you have to go back several pages to see the difference. As for the cherub... I'd be more inclined to have a cherub above, peeing into the tube!

I once tried using drywall as "walling" around a wire baker's rack to form an enclosed grow area. It was a very bad idea. Any water introduced caused problems. I had lots of mold spots and other issues.
Perhaps if they were painted up and supported better....

Yeah, that paper backing may open the door for some molds. Since you brought it up, there's always the "blue rock", which is mold/mildew resistant. I'd probably seal and paint it too, to do it right. Of course it probably depends on the humidity range where you live too.

...here comes a silly question maybe.
I am on day 27 with mine and I see no trichomes, yours are awesome looking.
Do different plants not show as quick?

Not a silly question at all! As far as I know, it is strain dependent. Some plants don't even have many trichomes on the sugar leaves, and some are covered in them. Some may show early in flower, and some will pop up late. It even varies between different phenotypes within a strain. Also, I think the lighting can affect it. I got much quicker/higher trichome production under my fluorescent than the LED, but my yields were low... I've also had a previous grow where my pH was way off on one plant, and the trichomes were way lacking compared to others of the same strain.

Don't worry, they're probably on those inner buds, but you have so many hairs on yours you can't see them!

Oh, and two things to note today:

1. I left the veg "door" open last night, so the flowering girls got an extra 4 hours of light! :whoa: This happened several times in my first grow, and I got a few undeveloped seeds in the C99, so I've got to watch it!

2. I think the weird brown spots may be light burn? I don't know why it's affecting the areas it is, but where leaves were overlapping, the shaded ones weren't discolored. Weird! I moved the main SCROG LED up about 2 inches, and can't really move the one on the right up any more..

You could have two cherubs. The one above peeing, and the one below. You know those naughty cherubs- always goofing around. Thanks for the tips.
Your brown leaves could also be from the ozone, or some other problem, in conjunction with the light. Cal mag apparently acts as a sort of sunscreen for the plant and mine will turn yellow in the brightest areas if they are short on cal mag. Not that this sounds the same as your problem. Maybe led light burn looks different than hid- I've heard it causes bleaching....

I was thinking about the two cherub scenario, but I decided to keep it family friendly!

Hmm, I didn't know about the sunscreen thing. I too thought they just bleached/whitened from LEDs, but I have yet to see it. It could still be a cal/mag deficiency, so I'll up the dose next feeding and see if that helps. I just know that as those leaves brown, they aren't doing anything useful with light anymore, so those buds will be smaller. Sucks!

Hey JoJo,
I know we are both using the same lights and you said you raised yours.
I have one light per plant and the one were I am getting brown leaves was a little to close and whats funny is that it's only in the middle of the plant where there is a problem.
I noticed on the light there is one bulb that I think is infrared, could that be causing the problem?

One other thing, you said you were using 5t cal/mag per gallon or was that 5ml?
I know on the back of my container it says 5ml/gallon just wondering if you use that much or was just a typo.

Hmm, interesting about the LED issues! I did raise mine to about 14" above the canopy, so maybe that will help. I don't believe these lights have any infrared LEDs, but I could be wrong. Some people even add UVB lights along side their LEDs without issue, so I don't think that would be it?

You are correct, I said 5 tsp/gal, but it should have been 5 ml/gal! I may up it to 10 ml/gal to see how they react. Good catch!

I did a little searching around and found some information on ozone generators causing issues in plant leaves. Guess what? They happen to be the same issues I'm having. Most of the information was related to grape leaves, but they had the same issues. Tan/brown/dark brown spots with tips curling up. I'm definitely taking the ozone generator out of the room for now! I may play around with it a little more when I only have a plant in veg. I haven't had it running for the last few days, and that may explain why the issues haven't really progressed.

Of course it could be a combination of these too!

Update (35 days flower, 92 days old):

So the update came early this time. I thought it was 3 days since the last watering and went ahead and fed.

I've noticed some bud growth over the last 2 days, so I'll post it anyway.

5 Day Comparison:

1_2_39.jpg

1_2_42.jpg

1_1_43.jpg

1_4_36.jpg

1_3_36.jpg

Then there's little Hempy. She is starting to swell/grow too. By the way, is "swelling" really just when the calyxes just growing/gaining mass, right?

1_6_20.jpg

1_5_28.jpg

Ah and the little clone that could. I've started torturing her as well! Here's how she compares to her mother (big Hempy) at the same age:

Clone Comparison:
(on the left)

IMG_3495_new_1_.jpg

1_7_14.jpg

1_8_16.jpg

Looking good :thumb:

I wish I could say the same but working on it.

Have you ever tried LA's Backbuilding forming more dense buds?
I have been reading his post on it and it seems really interesting.

they look like some dank buds no doubt.

I think they'll be alright! Now I just need to get them to be dense, which is tough with this lighting & sativa strain! They are looking better than my last runs though.

Have you ever tried LA's Backbuilding forming more dense buds?
I have been reading his post on it and it seems really interesting.

Thanks Ruthy! I actually have done it, but it was early on in a previous grow, so I had many other things affecting my grow! I do plan on doing it with this grow too, I just wasn't sure when. You gave me the push to check out LA's guide and he recommends doing it any time past mid-flower, so I should be good to go any time! I'll probably give them another week or so, until they've developed a bit more, then go for it. I appreciate the reminder!

Hi JoJo Hempy wondering if you could take a look at my scrog grow in my thread titled hard times and plant abuse in the frequently asked questions forum.am wondering about the flower growth, what you think about what i have so far. Thanks!

Hard to beat how even that screen is. When I get to this point of flower I usually start adding a tea that I know helps fatten buds up. I add it once a week and it really helps at the finish line. I put 1 tbs of Maxicrop seaweed liquid, 1 1/2 tsp of molasses and two heaping tbs of Jobes 2-7-4 organic plant food in a gallon of water and aerate it for 24-48 hours (til it develops a good head of foam) and then pour 32 ounces of the liquid into 4 gallons (my container is an 18 quart dishpan) of media evenly around the pot. This will give you a short term microherd, add carbs (and flavor), magnesium and just generally makes the girls very happy. The Jobes is inoculated with Mycos and it has a very low amount of nitrogen in it so as to not cause any issue there and I don't alter my feeding program for it. I have never used an LED light but I am sure it would be beneficial to your grow if you try it. If I am dealing with high heat I add a tsp of silica and 1/2 teaspoon of powdered Humic acid to the tea. In fact lately if I have the last two on hand I use them every time I make the tea. I use a similar media to what your using (peat moss instead of vermiculite) or straight perlite and my nutes are generally Jacks professional hydro + calnit for veg and Maxibloom after the 2nd week of flower.

Hi JoJo Hempy wondering if you could take a look at my scrog grow in my thread titled hard times and plant abuse in the frequently asked questions forum.am wondering about the flower growth, what you think about what i have so far. Thanks!

I took a look and posted in that thread! It seems like you're doing pretty well with what you could scrape together. They're looking pretty good to me, but there are always improvements we can all make!

Hard to beat how even that screen is. When I get to this point of flower I usually start adding a tea that I know helps fatten buds up.

Thanks for joining along Roots, and for the advice! I've been flirting with the idea of using some bennies/teas for this grow, but I'm a bit torn. I almost want a baseline that I can compare future grows to, but then again it wouldn't hurt getting a better yield! I'm a little surprised that those ingredients have worked so well for you in a soiless mix, but I'm a noob! I am also curious about some of the hydro "add-ons" to help with bud growth, but I just haven't done enough research and of course opinions vary wildly!

Do you notice a big difference using it vs. not using any teas? And is this your own brew?

Thanks Tead! It's good to see that you're still hanging around!

Been eyeing your grow all along... but hard to comment on such a beautiful grow.
We get ideas and motivation thru these threads. Previous threads gave me the motivation to try hempy. Your thread might be the reason I finally give scrog a try. I've been wanting to try a scrog for a long time now, but growing at the edge of the heat envelope really causes one to keep things as simple as possible. I've recently found some good solutions to my overall heat issues, so my options are a bit more open now.

Back
Top Bottom