JoJo's Hempy SOG 'n SCROG - LED - C99 - Northern Lights - NL99

Update (40 days flower, 82 days old):

Things are looking great in the grow room. I wanted to see how long they can go without watering, and the NL99 plants were about maxed out at 4 days, which is longer than I thought, but they are big plants for their pot size. The C99 SOG plants can still go a few more days, so I'll guess they can go a week without watering. We'll see how the other SOG plants do though.

I hope you guys don't mind all the pics. I have a lot mostly for documentation purposes, but I don't know if you all like sifting through them!

f40d82_7_.jpg

One of the NL99s:

f40d82_NL99A_1.jpg

And the Northern Lights. It is just SOOO much smaller than the other plants and it's buds look pathetic in comparison. I think they're going to be much more dense though.

f40d82_NL_1.jpg

And here's a 7 day comparison of flower growth. It looks like they're packing on resin and the buds are getting larger, but there doesn't seem to be too much growth. I'm excited to give them their next round of defoliation at 45 days. I think they could potentially benefit more from this round more than the last. I'll have to do a comparison with my NL99 SOG plants to be sure though.

d82f40_NL99B_Comparison_2.jpg

The mini-SCROG is looking good. I just bent the tops down today, and it's starting to send out a few pre-flowers. This plant is probably the healthiest any of my C99 plants have been since my last SCROG bucket..

f40d82_1_.jpg

What a handy place for a thermometer/hygrometer. I've been hovering around ideal conditions I'd say!

f40d82_2_.jpg

Finally some decent C99 pictures. These are 35 days into flower (5 days behind the NL99). From left to right, there is the heavily defoliated plant, 2 plants which had less defoliation, and 2 un-touched plants. I can't really tell a discernible difference in bud growth between them, but their leaves don't really block all that much.

f40d82_4_.jpg

f40d82_6_.jpg

The veg room just got a lot smaller. I couldn't save 3 of the wilted mothers, so I just chopped them and decided to replace them with clones. I tried watering and keeping the mothers in humid environment, but they died anyway. Then I killed off all the clones I didn't need, except for the mother replacements. I still have 1 more mother (1/2 saved clones) to replace, but I cut my inventory way down. All but one of the clones had roots growing, but I'm going to try to dry out the rockwool cubes and re-use them. Super cheap, I know, but worth a try!

I dried up the Northern lights mother and could move recently flowered plant back to veg, but I don't really like this plant anyway. It's just too small. The plants I bred this seed from were quite a bit bigger. That must say something about the breeder! :)

f40d82_8_.jpg

f40d82_11_.jpg

I also noticed some discoloration on a few of the NL99 mothers older leaves. I thought it could be mites, but I couldn't find any that I could see under magnification. I took some shots with my USB microscope and it looks like something's been nibbling on them. I cut off the affected leaves and sprayed the plants with neem oil solution. I'll keep an eye out for any more damage!

f40d82_9_.jpg

f40d82_10_.jpg

damage3.jpg

Stay tuned!

Great update .! Pitty about the mothers :( im suprised you didnt just keep them in hempys as theyve been working well.
Cool comparison with the defol i was going to ask u about those..
Ahh mites ... gee i hope not!!! My fingers are crossed for u ..that would be the worst right now!

God I hope it's not mites. Sure looks like it in the first pic, and as for the closeup- I haven't seen the effects of their snacking that close up before so don't know what it looks like at that range. Still, my neem oil product did eradicate the little bastards eventually.
In my veg room the plants sit on an elevated shelf of plywood which I dipped down at the front center edge to make a sort of trough. Water runs off into a little basin and that works fine. The flowering room has an actual drain, so I can water at will and flush, etc.
Rather than waste space by having runoff into a basin, you could have it run to a low spot with a little hole or well of sorts, and put a bilge pump system in. This usually runs off of 12 volts but I'm sure they make 120 volt versions., otherwise a 12 volt adapter is easily rigged up. You put a float switch in the spot the water runs to. It operates by floating up in the water and turning the pump on. Automatically goes off again after water level drops and the switch lowers. It usually takes an inch or two of water to float the switch. You could pump the waste water to a drain or whatever, obviously...
You probably know all this already, but just on the off chance you haven't crossed paths with a bilge-pump/floating switch system before. :thumb:

Have I not made you suffer thru my neem speech before... poor guy.... here we go!

Neem oil works by disrupting the electrical systems of insects. When affected, they can't eat or reproduce normally, so they all die off.
In order to screw with their nervous systems, neem needs to be eaten. The little buggers eat a bit of your plant protected by the neem, then they just sit there mostly and wait to die.
What does this mean? Neem needs to be ingested, so surface applications done after the outbreak can be effective, but will have to be absorbed by the plant first, so you're really not gonna get any instant traction from a neem application.

Translation... use neem as a prophylactic treatment rather than a outbreak treatment. Use something much quicker to treat the outbreak (I use a pyrethrin product), but put a simple neem program in place to keep it from happening again.

Lecture done... Let's go drinkin!

Thanks for the 12v bilge pump idea... never thought of boat bits before... but of course!

Great update .! Pitty about the mothers :( im suprised you didnt just keep them in hempys as theyve been working well.
Cool comparison with the defol i was going to ask u about those..
Ahh mites ... gee i hope not!!! My fingers are crossed for u ..that would be the worst right now!

Thanks rhet! I'm considering switching my mothers to Hempy pots. I'm not really sure how small I can go with a hempy pot though and not have to water it very often. Though the Promix requires watering every 2-3 days, so I probably won't be any more often than that. Maybe I'll give it a try with one of these extra clones...

On the defol, I'm starting to notice that the non-defoliated plants have slightly bigger buds. Not a lot, but we'll know in the next few weeks. I'm excited to try it with the NL99 too!

Ya know.... In my garden, I'm paranoid enough to apply a touch of pyrethrin when I see any potential visitors.... especially if I even dream it might be mites. I know... it's heavy handed, but it can be SO quick.
Translation... use neem as a prophylactic treatment rather than a outbreak treatment. Use something much quicker to treat the outbreak (I use a pyrethrin product), but put a simple neem program in place to keep it from happening again.

Say it as many times as you have to! I may pick up some se7en dust when I get around to it and sprinkle them a bit. I haven't noticed any more affected leaves, but I'm going to start doing semi-regular neem treatments now, just in case. Thanks for the reminder Tead!

God I hope it's not mites. Sure looks like it in the first pic, and as for the closeup- I haven't seen the effects of their snacking that close up before so don't know what it looks like at that range.

I'm hoping it's not those little buggers too! I've heard too many horror stories about them to welcome them into my grow room without putting up a good fight! I haven't SEEN any mites, just the little holes that something was sucking in the leaves. Time will tell I suppose..

You probably know all this already, but just on the off chance you haven't crossed paths with a bilge-pump/floating switch system before. :thumb:

I do appreciate the ideas on the drain system Weasel! I actually hadn't thought of adding a float switch, as I was going to run the pump manually when I needed to, but the more I think about that, the more painful it sounds. I got a few small 12VDC pumps ordered, so I'll start putting something together soon. I was leaning toward sloping toward one side and pumping it out, like you mentioned, but I'll see what I can sketch up over the next few days. Maybe I'll be productive this weekend!

In other news, my plants seem to be growing slowly lately, and the only thing I've changed is my watering schedule.. I'm going to try going back to every 2 or 3 days and see if I can notice a difference. The newly flowered clones haven't been watered in about a week, and they don't look much bigger than they did when I moved them into the flower chamber. I may post an update today if I'm feeling up to it. :)

Hey JoJo,
Bummer about the ones that didn't make it but glad you have plenty of clones to play with.
Everything is looking great! Hopefully no mites!
Watering is a pain and mine are still small enough to do with a wand still but getting bigger :D

I was wondering if you ever thought of doing some side lighting with fluorescent lights?
Colorado High uses them and has seen big differences when not used.
I know your really cramped right now just a though for down the road.

Damn... my whole garden's that easy. The worst thing I have to do is dump out some plastic saucers. I'm so lazy. How does my stuff manage to grow at all? I miss waterings. I cook them regularly. I leave the veg tent open now and then spilling light into the flower room.
Beats me. I torture them!

You must have a really resilient strain :thumb:

Ruthy,
No mites...confirmed! I haven't seen any more indication of those little buggers.

And yes, I have thought about side lighting recently. I have the perfect setup to do it now too. I could do a 4 foot light along the back and a 2 foot light on each side. Maybe even a 2 foot on the door. I don't even think it would affect my growing space much at all.

I'm going to try to dial my grow in a bit more, but this is definitely one area I'd like to experiment in. I'll have to check out some of Colorado High's journals. And here I just thought he was a mod and didn't post.. Silly me.

Tead,
I too am lazy, unfortunately. Honestly I haven't updated my journal for the last 9 days because of laziness. I don't even water my plants as often as I should, and they're paying for it.. I think it may be a little cold too.

I'm doing an update tonight though! Soon.

Update (49 days flower, 91 days old):

Sorry I haven't been very active lately, I've been both busy and lazy... But I'm finally getting around to an update! I defoliated the NL99 plants the other day, which was day 45 of flowering. Here's what they looked like before and after:

d87f45_NL99D_Defoliation.jpg

As you can see, most of the leaves toward the plant were removed. I don't think this should stress the plant too much, and the budsites are definitely getting much more light. Here's a 5 day comparison before defoliation:

d87f45_NL99D_Comparison.jpg

And here's one over the last 4 days since defoliation. She's definitely still growing!

d91f49_NL99D_Comparison.jpg

There are plenty of other plants begging for attention. I just haven't been giving it to them. I haven't been watering as much as I should be, and I'm paying for it in slow growth. It's also been cooler here lately with 30% RH, so things are a bit slow going. I may break out the humidifier soon..

d91f49_1_.jpg

I'm not seeing any discernible differences between the plants in different shaped containers. They look about the same to me. It's way to early to tell anything though..

d91f49_2_.jpg

The C99 plants are looking great too. I took some pictures of them in a lineup again, with the most defoliated on the left and the 2 non-defoliated plants on the right. They all look about the same, but I think the untouched plants have slightly larger buds. It's all subjective right now though!

d91f49_5_.jpg

d91f49_3_.jpg

The mini-SCROG plant is looking great too. The tops are popping 1-3 inches through the screen, and I think I flowered it at the perfect time. I don't have WAY too many tops like last time.

d91f49_4_.jpg

Then there's the vegging plants. I'm going to try to get them in good health since I'll be cloning from them for another round in the next 2-3 weeks after my harvest.

d91f49_11_.jpg

In other news, I just got some seeds delivered. I ordered for the first time from Herbies, and was very happy with the super stealth packaging. I was worried that it could be the same as their stealth packaging (which I feel is more likely to be searched) but alas it was even more stealthy. I used Herbie's pick 'n mix, so I'm able to try out more variety for less cheddar. The 3 I got that I'm excited about are...

Mama Thai (thanks for the suggestion Weasel)
Durban Magic (thanks to Weasel and Tead for a good breeder)
PPP (Pure Power Plant, this is supposed to be another good, low odor sativa)

I also got a few freebies, so I have a good start! All of these seeds are regular, so breeding is going to get interesting! I'll probably start popping a few in the next few days.

Update (55 days flower, 97 days old):

Hey all! It's been a few days, but I've been busy with the holidays and laziness.. Things are looking great though, and a harvest approaches. I started flushing the Northern Lights yesterday with my DIY clearex (based on KJC's recipe) followed by pH adjusted tap water. Runoff ended up around 400 PPM, and my tap is ~250, so I'm happy.

I flushed the NL99 plants today, and I'll give them a few days before harvest to clean themselves up. I used the DIY clearex on them as well, which supposedly allows you to harvest 3 days after flushing. I don't know about that short of time, but I might try it with this NL. It literally smells like cat pee. It also hasn't put out any new pistils in like 2 weeks.. Someone effed up the genetics, thank you very much! It is tiny too, so I'll finish out it's SOG daughter and kill it's sad little legacy there.

Here's the Northern Lights as it currently sits:

d97f55_NL_1.jpg

d97f55_NL_3.jpg

And the NL99 plants don't appear to have grown over the last 6 days very much. Maybe they're packing on resin? I'm starting to see a few ambers, but the majority are still clear & cloudy. They are starting to look "ripe" to me though.. Any thoughts??

d97f55_NL99D_Comparison.jpg

d97f55_3_.jpg

The C99 plants are still putting out new white pistils, so I'll let them keep going. I figure they have about another 2 weeks based on prior knowledge. I'll probably start flushing soon. As you can see, my buds aren't huge, but I don't think they're bad for an 8 week flowering strain either.. Thoughts/criticisms? You aren't going to hurt my feelings!

d97f55_1_.jpg

d97f55_2_.jpg

The rest of the garden is looking great too.

d97f55_5_.jpg

d97f55_6_.jpg

Here are two plants, of the same mother, 6 days apart. One was defoliated on day 21 of 12/12. Not bad growth!

d97f55_4_.jpg

Lastly the veg plants are looking pretty great. The Hempy mother is growing better than the FFOF plant, though I may have over-nuted it. The other plants are bolting too, and I'll have to trim them back soon. I also have a few friends popping up. 2/2 Mama Thai popped, and only 1/2 of Durban Magic and 1/2 PPP popped. The others are still in my germinator, but going on 3 days.. I'll give them another day and then maybe perform surgery.. I still have plenty of seeds, but don't have room for a ton of plants!

d97f55_7_.jpg

d97f55_8_.jpg

I'm going to try to be more active in the near future and hopefully get back to muddling around in the FAQ, trying to give back again. I miss all the eager growers!

Awesome update JoJo. I'm so excited (well I don't really get excited but whatever the equivalent is for normal humans) about you growing Mama Thai. Finally I won't be the only one in the known universe growing it.
Spitz has some MT seeds too but hasn't grown it yet.
I say - if you can - flush and harvest some whenever, but keep some around extra long just to see what you think.
My only criticism is that your plants are looking so nice it's making me a little uneasy.

The c99's look great.! Be careful remember they'll probably show some nanners soon id probably harvest these sooner this time as you've got a good thing goin on , definatly dont want any pollen floating around..
How have u been watering? With a wand? Ive been thinking about a larger res with a small electric pump but still manually operating it just to save time constantly mixing up new nutes??

No criticisms, eh? I guess I must be doing at least one thing right :) I know journals without problems aren't as fun, but I'm sure I'm due for problems any day now!

@weasel - I'm glad to be growing Mama Thai. The more I hear you describe the high, the more I think this type of sativa will be for me. In your journal I was reading about how you describe the effect that indicas have on you, and unfortunately I notice many of those effects with my C99... It's not as stony/sedative as the Northern Lights I have, but I still find the C99 makes me lazier/more forgetful than I'd like. This makes me even more excited to try this Mama! I really don't have enough experience with different strains to know completely what I'm looking for though, so I may have been thinking this C99 high is a sativa-type high, when in fact I could be getting indica-like effects!

I'm hoping the Durban Magic will also be a good sativa to try out, and give me a little variety. The PPP is a hybrid, but is supposed to give a good "daytime high". We shall see. I'll likely cross every strain I have just to get even more variety and build up my own seedbank!

@Tead - I actually have 2 Fiskars, and they both have caps! You probably just jinxed me though!

@Bama - I just have little baby plants compared to yours! I can't wait to see your upcoming chop.

@rhet - Thank you SOO much for the reminder. I didn't even think about the nanners that will eventually pop out of my C99, and like you said, it's about time they start! I've been inspecting all the plants closely for nanners/sacs almost every day, and nothing so far (out of the C99 or NL99). I only had one light schedule mistake early in flowering, so they should be seeing less stress than my previous grows.

In my previous setup, I sometimes left my veg "door" open, so the girls got random spurts of extra light several times through the grow. Now I can't do that easily, and the grow chambers are light-proofed much better now. I guess I never talked much about my light-proofing before, so I may post about it in the future if anyone's interested?

I'm kinda sad you asked about how I water... Because it's going to make you think I'm stupid/feel bad for me. So- my grow room is in a remote little area/room that is 3 rooms away from the nearest faucet.

Currently, I mix nutes in a 1 gallon pitcher, and then carry it back to the room. I put multiple pots in the white pan/containers, then water with Solo cups, which are a little easier to manage than the pitcher. So I end up taking every plant out of the flowering room, and then put them back in. Every time I water/feed. This is a major downside to SOGs for my current situation. It wasn't bad when I had 1x 5 gallon Hempy. I'm going to stop doing many SOGs though, and figure out some type of watering system. And when I feel motivated (Mama Thai to the rescue!?), I'll put a water supply in the grow room (the pipes are running through the room and I just need to do a little plumbing).

d98f56_2_.jpg

I also did my Day 21 defoliation on the SOG plants yesterday. I took a picture before defoliation though, showing how the plants are growing with different height containers. The grouped plants are of the same mother, so that's why there are two NL99B on the left, and three NL99D on the right. I can't tell any difference between how the plants grew in different containers. Just a quick update!

d98f56_1_.jpg

Yes me and (most) of my plants are alive!

I chopped the Northern Lights the other night, and didn't get much from her. She was pretty rootbound though (pics to come). I also chopped one of the NL99s 2 nights ago. I'm going to spread out some harvest dates and see if I can tell the difference in end product.

Yesterday I noticed some nanners on the C99 starting up, so you were right rhet! I'm going to cut them down tonight, and probably 2 more of the NL99s. I'll leave one more in flower for another several days. I'll have some at 60, 62, and 67 days from 12/12.

I can tell a pretty substantial difference in the defoliated C99 plants. They are noticeably smaller than the plants that weren't touched! I'll share wet weights and pictures soon enough. I may have time tonight, but I may be tired from trimming 6 (little) plants!

Back
Top Bottom