Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

I’ve been thinking about the water pot for the Watermelon WeddingCake. I’m wondering - as long as I don’t put any water in that res, this thing should simply function as a pot, right? When the roots hit the plate that separates the water from the not water, if there IS no water, then the roots will simply curl around like in a normal pot, yes? It’s not as if they’ll reach for plain air, but if they land on water they’ll grow into it, right?
Yes, it should function as a normal pot until you introduce the lower pool of water. At that point they'll have to convert the lower roots over to water roots which could take 10-15 days if you don't put any water in the reservoir from the get go. Some of the water will evaporate into the connector pot and the soil roots will sense it and begin their transition.

And they will grow into the water and if you go with your air stone idea, they will likely fill that lower chamber with hydro roots.

Always deep thinking going on here Jon. Keeping it simple might be the best course for your stepdad. 3 days shouldn't do harm to her like the others said I'm thinking too. A little drought won't hurt them at all. My guess is roots will build in their own way until you come back and really wet them down down there, and then blast for you. Mountains sound fun! Where you finding them?:hmmmm:
Thanks Otter! Yeah he can manage plain watering just fine, I simply leave him 10 gallons of mix per plant and all he has to do is dump it in at a gallon when he gets up and one around dinner time. They’ll be fine. I guess even if the roots begin to work their way into the air, at least they’ll be kept moist from above as the water filters down. And even if not, as Emilya points out - it’s three days. Chillax. (She didn’t say that, that’s me, lol). I appreciate the input.

The mountains are the northern Pennsylvania mountains that help define the NY/PA state line in the middle of PA. Close to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. (Yep, we have one too, lol - it’s not AS grand, but it’s pretty grand :laugh:), NY state line, and almost in the center of PA left to right. Our yearly music festival for 200 of our closest friends who come every year. We headline Friday night and the All Star Jam on Saturday. I can’t wait!!!

Yes, it should function as a normal pot until you introduce the lower pool of water. At that point they'll have to convert the lower roots over to water roots which could take 10-15 days if you don't put any water in the reservoir from the get go. Some of the water will evaporate into the connector pot and the soil roots will sense it and begin their transition.

And they will grow into the water and if you go with your air stone idea, they will likely fill that lower chamber with hydro roots.
Thanks Azi, that’s exactly what I think too. And that is the plan. I figure when I get back I fill that res all the way up to the bottom of the perlite and watch it go.

Here’s how fast this plant is generating growth.

Melinda
Day 51

Almost all of the shorter colas have now stretched and almost caught up to the taller ones, and as a whole she just won’t stop getting taller. Good lord, I’m 6-8” from the light as is.

I have a plan. See the picture of how the light is connected to the ceiling? All I do tomorrow (need help for this) is hook the shower hook to the lower part of the lights built in wire. That gains me another two inches. Apparently it’s necessary. Lol. Then I really am maxed.

Meanwhile every cola branch looks the same. They are all these 7-8 bud towers that look every bit like they are each going to join together - and that’s just from top to upper screen. I see long, unbroken colas top to bottom happening here. Not sure of course, never am, or rarely, but if that does happen I just *might* pull a pound out of this scrog after all. But they are building very rapidly at this point.

You can also see the difference in just one day in how quickly she leafs up. I will have to defol again shortly.

Wow.

Here’s the canopy, a picture of the formerly smallest colas all big girls now, and the light situation.

29F47B0B-FA5C-4A76-9D9E-AEFB4D3BF04D.jpeg

8CF92137-3657-4ACE-81BE-C3E35E90D910.jpeg

53EF3DB7-46F1-4D74-9A09-7176C360140C.jpeg

Melissa
Watermelon WeddingCake
Day 20

This girl is going to be an absolute beast. I topped her today above the 5th node for a change. Never waited that long on an auto before but usually don’t get the 6th node out after 20 days either. Amazing growth. Coco, yes. But also XXL genetics, and also this plant’s love for @Prescription Blend nutes. She couldn’t look better.

B9D50B74-0B7D-4373-82B5-7960814EB01D.jpeg

D2EA1934-6ED5-4A73-A710-44C92A61E447.jpeg

That plant is gorgeous, and once the roots hit the air in the empty res I'm guessing they will air-prune rather then curl around as they would in a solid pot.
Thanks @InTheShed! I’m just as okay with that as curling around. More so actually so I hope you’re right. My concern was dry roots hanging in empty air. But it makes sense, especially the way I drilled the holes. Gracias.

Hi @Bill284, @Azimuth, @Emilya, @Rexer, @StoneOtter , @InTheShed, and anyone else who wishes to chime in on a question…

I’ve been thinking about the water pot for the Watermelon WeddingCake. I’m wondering - as long as I don’t put any water in that res, this thing should simply function as a pot, right? When the roots hit the plate that separates the water from the not water, if there IS no water, then the roots will simply curl around like in a normal pot, yes? It’s not as if they’ll reach for plain air, but if they land on water they’ll grow into it, right?

I have to leave town for the mountains from the 25-28th. I have to leave the plants to my stepdad to water while I’m gone. This is two weeks away. I was hoping I could get away with no res water until I return. There’s no chance of him managing the res for four days without killing my plant. And given the timing, I think that’ll work. I wouldn’t think a bunch of roots would be massed on that separation plate before three weeks from now.

Anyone with input it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Amigo, sorry for the late reply.
Hellmof a busy day.
Thec4 foot wide Cchronic Thunder is in a 50 gal bag ala Bill284 Method.
Sitting directly under the Mars hydro fc 3000.
But your issue.
If the roots reach air without a mild spray of moisture they will simply air prune and shoot out a replacement root.
This can go on for 3 days while your away.
But if they are wet enough they will hit the res before you go.
Let them ari prune until you return.
Then spray the res and you can start running the res.
My 2 cents.
Hope your well Amigo.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

White Widow
Day 11

I’ve decided to break as many “auto rules” as possible with this girl. The first one we’ll take on is that you “only uppot an auto once if at all.” Apparently some folks think successive uppotting of an auto is problematic for some reason. This is of course not the case. But as usual, it’s much easier to simply show you rather than try to convince you. Here’s the first up pot. Day 11, lol. The root ball held together just fine. This was the closest size pot I had to the Solo cup. Next pot will be about the same increase in terms of size relation. She will be up potted twice before even seeing a cloth pot. Heh. Here’s the deal, and forgive her droop - I uppot wet so she just got watered.

65A4A2E8-1264-4F72-8934-429FFE65AC99.jpeg

C5624CC4-7B8F-48A3-B115-F030912DC746.jpeg

44D46505-C098-4F67-B1F0-40F7A2727083.jpeg

EA018211-4729-4D4E-8D80-D3AC95E0F916.jpeg

Morning @Rexer - I have a question for you. Heh. Trying to decide what is flarf and should go. I’m thinking branches like this are good candidates. This is barely at the top screen and you see all there is to it. It goes, right?

Thanks, Auto Scrog Sensei!

1213C23C-00B0-403D-AA36-1DD3BB6CFC69.jpeg

Morning @Rexer - I have a question for you. Heh. Trying to decide what is flarf and should go. I’m thinking branches like this are good candidates. This is barely at the top screen and you see all there is to it. It goes, right?

Thanks, Auto Scrog Sensei!

1213C23C-00B0-403D-AA36-1DD3BB6CFC69.jpeg
In all honesty, snip it if it doesn't look like it's going to produce.
You might get a bit off the top of that branch, but if it were me I'd snip it at the base of the trunk.

If you have time before hittin the mountain, do a quick clean up of all her lowest producing branches. She's going to start bulking soon and you want to direct that energy now, or asap.

And see if that light can be turned up more to discourage the flower stretch.

This is the 420h (below) at close to full power (i dont remember exactly, but think it was around 75%) ....see the distance to the plants?
I was able to do that by keeping it as cranked as i could, throughout the grow. It helps discourage stretching. I think maybe one tip had slight bleaching (?)... and a few foxtails, a worthwhile trade in my books.

Anyhow, I'll stop suggesting that after this lol. If you do turn it up, do 10% a day till you see stress. Then backoff 5% ish. And now I will drop bringing that up.

I think when you come back from your trip- your jaw will drop by how much she has bulked.

In all honesty, snip it if it doesn't look like it's going to produce.
You might get a bit off the top of that branch, but if it were me I'd snip it at the base of the trunk.

If you have time before hittin the mountain, do a quick clean up of all her lowest producing branches. She's going to start bulking soon and you want to direct that energy now, or asap.

And see if that light can be turned up more to discourage the flower stretch.

This is the 420h (below) at close to full power (i dont remember exactly, but think it was around 75%) ....see the distance to the plants?
I was able to do that by keeping it as cranked as i could, throughout the grow. It helps discourage stretching. I think maybe one tip had slight bleaching (?)... and a few foxtails, a worthwhile trade in my books.

Anyhow, I'll stop suggesting that after this lol. If you do turn it up, do 10% a day till you see stress. Then backoff 5% ish. And now I will drop bringing that up.

I think when you come back from your trip- your jaw will drop by how much she has bulked.
Thanks so much @Rexer. I was about to be on the same page with the light. Time to crank it. And yes on the snipping too that was just an example, all the ones like that go at the base. Yeah they’re about ready to take off.

Autos in the Big Tent
Melissa and Medusa Day 22
White Widow Day 12

Hesitantly I had to take a few of the gigantic top fans from the Forbidden Runtz. They were not only choking the side growth coming out, but we’re also starting to generate water between the leaves. So tight this plant. But as you can see, it made a huge difference in exposure. Look at all the gorgeous new growth that now has space to rock and roll.

The Watermelon WeddingCake I am so far still able to control with leaf tucking. I have had better results when I began keeping all leaves as long as possible, so no reason to change that. They stay til they have to go.

Both of these girls are lush and green and wow. And the White Widow looks okay for day 12. Up potting didn’t bother her a bit. First regular (non XXL) auto I’ve grown in coco. I pumped her to a level between the seedling and week one of the PB feed chart for a few days to bring out some more green in her.

Here’s the girls, with closeups on the middle growth of the two older plants, nicely exposed. Order of photos: Forbidden Runtz, Watermelon WeddingCake, White Widow.

650D5E65-8003-42F4-8A15-E80ABEE42730.jpeg

F5EF978E-3963-4FE1-9B5F-46ED66550A7B.jpeg

61758C02-1DA1-4E96-8F6D-6DE848030CA7.jpeg

C5E52032-1BD1-41F6-B018-9A09F8202BF5.jpeg

37E8285F-7A29-4514-8F7C-EA10D377F1D6.jpeg

They're looking happy and healthy! And I think the admonition about not transplanting autos is more for folks who don't have a strong upcan game yet. Experienced growers like yourself can move from pot to pot without the plant noticing, but if your transplant technique isn't good then going to a bigger pot can disturb the roots and temporarily slow down growth.

They're looking happy and healthy! And I think the admonition about not transplanting autos is more for folks who don't have a strong upcan game yet. Experienced growers like yourself can move from pot to pot without the plant noticing, but if your transplant technique isn't good then going to a bigger pot can disturb the roots and temporarily slow down growth.
Excellent point, thanks!

Ok @Rexer, if you’re gonna be like @Bill284 and put me to work, fair enough. So I have enacted your suggestions.

- aggressive flarf removal
- effective defoliation
- doubled light output to 50% to negate flower stretch

Here’s the results.

Better?

605F28CC-865D-47A9-BAC7-D617BE7BAB61.jpeg

429328C8-A143-4FC6-8C4D-840CA3E089CD.jpeg

2F5FFC05-940D-4F05-AB32-C8CAB9A352AE.jpeg

0E4EE3CC-E840-457E-994C-13BFAA04B71D.jpeg

B335FC72-EBC1-4125-8958-A85E0CA1BEFD.jpeg

Ok @Rexer, if you’re gonna be like @Bill284 and put me to work, fair enough. So I have enacted your suggestions.

- effective defoliation

Here’s the results.

Better?

Interesting. It’s only 15 minutes since I took all that growth, and in that short of a time, doing nothing else differently, the RH in the tent is down approximately 7 points. Wow. That much less transpiration and water generation.

- effective defoliation

Here’s the results.

Better?

Perfect! Keep an eye for light stress, but that outta help keep them from stretching too much more...and I'm in awe at how beautiful she is!
Interesting. It’s only 15 minutes since I took all that growth, and in that short of a time, doing nothing else differently, the RH in the tent is down approximately 7 points. Wow. That much less transpiration and water generation.
Perfect timing to lower that RH....I can't believe that's one auto :adore: :adore:

Back
Top Bottom