Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

Hi guys, welcome to my newest grow journal! Thanks for stopping by. For this grow I hope to show you something really special.

For this grow we are going to grow only three autos. There will be no add ons. We have set the rather lofty goal of three pounds from three autos, which should make me look like a complete fool by the end. You’d think. Heh.

However, I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

First, the three strains.

Forbidden Runtz Double XL auto
Banana Sherbet Double XL auto
Watermelon WeddingCake Double XL auto

All are from Growers Choice. All will be grown in coco. The Banana Sherbet will be in the 3x3 under the @NextLight 420h. The Forbidden Runtz and Watermelon WeddingCake will be in the 5x5 under my prime light. All will be fed with @Prescription Blend nutrients.

Other folks are growing these too and I just did a WWC, so I will spare you the strain breakdown. If you’re interested, go to the Growers Choice website and look up the strains. The pertinent point is that all are XXLs. Only with this genetic could one go for three pounds off three autos imho.

So how do I expect to get three pounds from three autos? Impossible in theory. But then we see Titan, so no, not impossible. Titan was in a 5. Should have been a 7 or even an 8.
We are correcting that this time in a radical way.

Radical Idea #1

Maybe not that radical, but in the 3x3 I have figured out a poor man’s way of doing something between a coco hempy and I don’t know what. So I will have a large container with foot tall sides all around, like a small tote. Into that will ultimately go a 7-gallon pot. The bottom of the pot is hollow, I’ll show you how when I show you pot prep. It’s about 3” of space. On top of that goes a layer of perlite a half inch thick. Then coco, bokashi, frass, perlite, etc to the top. I intend to water from the top while keeping the hollow spot in the bottom full of water to the perlite level. Poor man’s 7-gallon hempy: I’m sure I can manage the water and nutes in the bottom. So in this setup in a 7, I feel confident in a pound from her.

Oh, and I will also be officially SCROGGING the Banana Sherbet in the 3x3. I can do it in this size tent. Heh.

Radical Idea #2

In the 5x5, we are going to try something I have talked to several about on the side. I’m 100% convinced it will work and give me the root growth I need for a pound a plant. Each of the two plants is going to get 8 gallons each. I don’t own any 8 gallon pots, but I do own 3s and 5s. So we’re going to go from a Solo to the three. Fill the 3 with roots. When it’s time to up pot, rather than actually up pot her, we are going to sit the 3 directly on top of and centered on the five, and then we’re going to cut the bottom out of the three and kind of “screw it in” a bit to the 5. This will give us a pyramid shaped pot with a 5 below and a 3 up top. This will give the roots 5 entire untouched gallons to play in at up potting, and by watering the exposed part of the 5 and down the middle of the 3, we will quickly fill the 5 as well. 8 gallons of just roots! That should give us a pound a plant.

So two pyramids in the big tent and a cheap ass pseudo hempy in the small one. Three autos, 3 pounds. Heh.

I am dropping the Banana Sherbet today as the 3x3 is ready whenever.

I hope this is an interesting enough experiment to keep you stopping by. Thanks so much!!!

Hi guys, welcome to my newest grow journal! Thanks for stopping by. For this grow I hope to show you something really special.

For this grow we are going to grow only three autos. There will be no add ons. We have set the rather lofty goal of three pounds from three autos, which should make me look like a complete fool by the end. You’d think. Heh.

However, I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

First, the three strains.

Forbidden Runtz Double XL auto
Banana Sherbet Double XL auto
Watermelon WeddingCake Double XL auto

All are from Growers Choice. All will be grown in coco. The Banana Sherbet will be in the 3x3 under the @NextLight 420h. The Forbidden Runtz and Watermelon WeddingCake will be in the 5x5 under my prime light. All will be fed with @Prescription Blend nutrients.

Other folks are growing these too and I just did a WWC, so I will spare you the strain breakdown. If you’re interested, go to the Growers Choice website and look up the strains. The pertinent point is that all are XXLs. Only with this genetic could one go for three pounds off three autos imho.

So how do I expect to get three pounds from three autos? Impossible in theory. But then we see Titan, so no, not impossible. Titan was in a 5. Should have been a 7 or even an 8.
We are correcting that this time in a radical way.

Radical Idea #1

Maybe not that radical, but in the 3x3 I have figured out a poor man’s way of doing something between a coco hempy and I don’t know what. So I will have a large container with foot tall sides all around, like a small tote. Into that will ultimately go a 7-gallon pot. The bottom of the pot is hollow, I’ll show you how when I show you pot prep. It’s about 3” of space. On top of that goes a layer of perlite a half inch thick. Then coco, bokashi, frass, perlite, etc to the top. I intend to water from the top while keeping the hollow spot in the bottom full of water to the perlite level. Poor man’s 7-gallon hempy: I’m sure I can manage the water and nutes in the bottom. So in this setup in a 7, I feel confident in a pound from her.

Oh, and I will also be officially SCROGGING the Banana Sherbet in the 3x3. I can do it in this size tent. Heh.

Radical Idea #2

In the 5x5, we are going to try something I have talked to several about on the side. I’m 100% convinced it will work and give me the root growth I need for a pound a plant. Each of the two plants is going to get 8 gallons each. I don’t own any 8 gallon pots, but I do own 3s and 5s. So we’re going to go from a Solo to the three. Fill the 3 with roots. When it’s time to up pot, rather than actually up pot her, we are going to sit the 3 directly on top of and centered on the five, and then we’re going to cut the bottom out of the three and kind of “screw it in” a bit to the 5. This will give us a pyramid shaped pot with a 5 below and a 3 up top. This will give the roots 5 entire untouched gallons to play in at up potting, and by watering the exposed part of the 5 and down the middle of the 3, we will quickly fill the 5 as well. 8 gallons of just roots! That should give us a pound a plant.

So two pyramids in the big tent and a cheap ass pseudo hempy in the small one. Three autos, 3 pounds. Heh.

I am dropping the Banana Sherbet today as the 3x3 is ready whenever.

I hope this is an interesting enough experiment to keep you stopping by. Thanks so much!!!
Me first :ciao:

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

A pound a piece.....I'm definitely in for this

pe8sn13iaak21.jpg

Cool project. Your hempy isn't really hempy, but it sounds like it will mimic the water table and natural soil profile nicely. I'm curious to see how you manage the "res". Should be cool!

Have you heard about the Captain grow style?
The Captn: A pot full of rockwool grow cubes sitting on top of a res tub. 2-3 times daily solution is pumped from the res to saturate the rockwool, drainage flows right back into the res, or can be drained to waste. Kinda a rwdc/hempy Frankenstein. Low maintenance, high yielding.
CapnStyleWittBagger.jpg

Cool project. Your hempy isn't really hempy, but it sounds like it will mimic the water table and natural soil profile nicely. I'm curious to see how you manage the "res". Should be cool!

Have you heard about the Captain grow style?
The Captn: A pot full of rockwool grow cubes sitting on top of a res tub. 2-3 times daily solution is pumped from the res to saturate the rockwool, drainage flows right back into the res, or can be drained to waste. Kinda a rwdc/hempy Frankenstein. Low maintenance, high yielding.
CapnStyleWittBagger.jpg
Very interesting. No issues with the reusing of nutes already run through the res?

Infrastructure

As always, our first order of business is making sure everything we need is in place. In the case of the 3x3, as I said, I’m going to scrog it.

That means installing a net. In my case, just due to the wheelchair thing, all my infrastructure for a scrog has to be in place ahead of time. Including fans above the net, screen, fans below the net, etc.

The problem with that is I have the fan/filter on the floor and that is immutable. I could lift it all the way up to above the net, but then I’d lose the all-important dehumidification that I can control below the canopy by adjusting the fan speed. So what to do, as that makes hanging a screw the normal way impossible:

Ah…McGuyver to the rescue.

Here’s what I did:

1. Cut two lengths of pvc pipe to length to go across the two side I need them for.
2. Cut a piece of pvc to act as a diagonal cross piece to accommodate the fan outflow pipe.
3. Duct taped everything to hell. It’s going nowhere.

This gives me plenty of easy attachments for the screen and I will have it installed and stretchy and all that good stuff later.

The very first thing today was clean the tent thoroughly, and move the palate it’s on to give me two door access. That necessitated relocation of the outflow pipe and my big blanket light cover up top so that it wasn’t right in front of the door. Now I can work the scrog from two sides - an absolute must for me.

And with this you can also see where I chose to place the screen in relation to the light. It goes exactly where the pipes are. That’s how much space for buds we have. Should work out well, you need a taller scrog to get a pound of bud.

So this is it for now as I didn’t want the post to get too long. But infrastructure step one is in the books.

The photos begin with the four tape points in closeup. They show everything I just described.

6EEABB13-42E2-4ED9-A43C-23687C823060.jpeg

76FD1CF8-5C0B-4A46-800A-E7E293A4B136.jpeg

97850B2F-58A2-4949-AFC6-4529CAAF2474.jpeg

7CA03B15-DE1C-452C-AE63-5C66A50316C1.jpeg

4F71B377-FF3C-4840-854D-B69F9F2FD930.jpeg

59F92712-7477-4B08-BB06-5D2EDA9DE730.jpeg

BD14BED3-B3F0-4B7C-BEEE-028FCCA300B4.jpeg

AEE2C722-C3DF-45EF-871B-1EF71812B820.jpeg

Lmao! Google. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I love when people do this to me as has been done before. I use Google for a living and am well aware of how to research. If I wanted to get a bunch of sub par conflicting info on any topic that’s where I’d go. I don’t have that time to waste. Instead I ask the gurus here. Beats Google by a mile. Try it sometime.

Back
Top Bottom