Jon's Experimental Single Sour Apple Autoflower Indoor/Outdoor Sunlight/LED Soil Grow

Hi Guys -

This journal was almost an addendum to my other current journal, but it was already so complicated I decided to do a separate one for this plant alone. Not too exciting, a journal about one autoflower, perhaps. Or perhaps not. We'll see what we can do to spice it up a bit. So here's the skinny:

Strain
: Humboldt Seed Company Sour Apple Feminized Autoflower.
Genetics: Magic Melon x Humboldt Sour Diesel x Ruderalis. Here's what the HSC website has to say about the strain:
SOUR APPLE AUTOFLOWER
ORIGINAL STRAIN
MAGIC MELON x HUMBOLDT SOUR DIESEL x RUDERALIS
SATIVA | AVG. THC 20-24% | MINOR VARIATION | FROSTY AND DENSE
APPLE | GAS
Sour Apple is a crossbreed to auto project that combines classic fuel terp/high THC strains with the fruity terps and amazing vigor of the Magic Melon Auto. In 2019 we isolated high THC phenos of the Humboldt Sour Diesel and then bred them with seed from the plants testing over 20% THC. With dense buds that have an attractive purple and green mottling and sugar-coated frost, this is worthy of the top shelf anywhere.
FLOWERING TIME 75-90 Days From Germination
STRAIN BENEFITS
Sativa
Apples, Gas
Average THC 20%-24%
Frosty and dense nugs
Number of Plants: ONE
Soil:
- Starter pot, 40% Fox Farms Happy Frog, 40% Fox Farms Ocean Forest, 20% Mother Earth perlite #3
- Final pot, 70% Fox Farms Ocean Forest, 30% Mother Earth perlite #3
Pots:
- Stater pot is a sour cream container that I poked many many holes in all around and on the bottom to simulate an airpot
- Final pot is a 5 gallon fabric pot
Lights:
- (2) 29-watt full spectrum UFO led panels
- (1) Natural Sun at 93,000,000 miles above canopy
- (1) Non sponsored 1000 watt full spectrum quantum board/(2) Non sponsored 1200 watt blurples
Tent (when used): Topolite 5 x 5 x 6'11" equipped with the quantum board and blurples
Environmental Tent Controls for tent use indoor hours sunset to sunrise:
- 8000 btu AC unit for cold air intake
- Additional 5000 btu AC unit for cold air intake
- 6" AC Infinity 8 speed exhaust fan
- 6" Carbon Filter w/Australian charcoal
- 5 fans of various sizes and placement possibilities
- Dehumidifier
- Humidifier
Environmental Outdoor Controls for outdoor hours 6 am to 8 pm: None
Environmental Controls in Bathroom For Early Veg up until transplant: Temp and humidity will be that of inside the house, ie, 76 - 78 degrees and around 60% humidity. I can bring a humidifier into the bathroom to increase humidity during seedling stage.
Nutes: Fox Farms trio of Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom. Non sponsored mycorrhizae. Organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses. Humboldt's Secret Cal Mag plus Iron. Silica.

Alright, so I learned many things growing autos in the journal currently going. Still am. But I have learned enough to know a couple things. I have ten HSC Sour Apple seeds. My ultimate goal is to grow a whole tent of them. I LST'ed every plant hard in my current (and first) autoflower grow. I don't know if a plant is going to yield better if just let to go, with just the branches pulled out. No topping. No LST. Just let the plant grow close to completely naturally. In terms of training, that's the plan with this plant. Basically ZERO training. That way I will have had the experience of LST'ing several strains of auto and be able to compare it to a plant that is just let to go. It will also allow me to see just how big the Sour Apple can get if left to her own devices. I already know I can keep it short if I want to. This way, when I next go on to a whole tent of Sour Apple, this experience will help me a ton to decide how to grow them and how many. I also learned that three gallon pots are not really big enough to grow a really big auto. My current autos are in three gallon pots, and every single plant has a root ball that completely fills the pot. There's no place for them to go, and it's been like that a while. Which obviously limits the size of the plant and the yield. So this Sour Apple will go from the large sour cream container starter pot to a five gallon fabric pot. One transplant, thus the selection of a larger pot than a Dixie Cup to begin with.

Regarding how this plant will grow in what light...

- First two or three weeks of growth will take place right where she is in the photograph - my bathtub. Under the UFO panels. 20/4 light cycle. The par at soil level in the picture is 320 par. It goes up to about 440 right at the light. Plenty of light for early veg and very easy to control the environment.
- Once she outgrows that pot, she will get transplanted to a five gallon pot and at that point her light cycle will change. Once in her five, she will go outside and grow in the natural sunlight from about 6 am til about 8 pm. The autos already proved to me that they can easily take the summer weather here, ie, mid 90's by day during their outdoor hours. That will cover 14 hours of light a day.
- At 8 pm she will come inside and go into the tent under the quantum board and blurples. She'll live in there with 6 more hours of LED lighting, bringing her total hours of light per day to 20. and spend the dark hours in the tent.
- This sunlight/LED daily cycle (14 hours sun/6 hours LED) will continue through harvest.

I have found on my current grow that the autos FAR FAR prefer natural sunlight to any light they could possibly be provided in a tent. The ones I am growing now hit a new gear when they started spending their days in the sunlight. The resin production is WAY enhanced. The growth is faster. The plants respond better and the pots dry more evenly in a more consistent timeframe. There's no downside and no comparison imho. Except you can't give them 20 hours of sun per day. And if you just go 14/10 using ONLY the sun, that's a lot of wasted time that the autos would be dark when they could be producing. Thus, the idea to go back and forth. So we'll see how it goes.

Day One will be the day the seed sprouts. I put the seed in paper towels two days ago, no soaking first, and in 48 hours it popped and sprouted a 3/4" tap root. Into the dirt she went.

So there we are. Welcome to a rather odd one plant grow journal. Commentary is always encouraged, desired, and appreciated, as are questions, criticisms, suggestions for different courses of action, or plain old atta-boys. Lol. In the picture she is sharing space for a few days with the Lemon Autos from my current grow who live in the bathtub overnight now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hi guys - obviously I tagged y'all for this.
@Bill284, @Emilya, @Virgin Ground, @Michael Hunt, @Ivumlow, @stone Otter, @Bud love, @jonoldstyle, @Backlipslide

HSC Sour Apple in the ground May 18 three quarter inch tap root.jpg

Hi Guys -

This journal was almost an addendum to my other current journal, but it was already so complicated I decided to do a separate one for this plant alone. Not too exciting, a journal about one autoflower, perhaps. Or perhaps not. We'll see what we can do to spice it up a bit. So here's the skinny:

Strain: Humboldt Seed Company Sour Apple Feminized Autoflower.
Genetics: Magic Melon x Humboldt Sour Diesel x Ruderalis. Here's what the HSC website has to say about the strain:
SOUR APPLE AUTOFLOWER
ORIGINAL STRAIN
MAGIC MELON x HUMBOLDT SOUR DIESEL x RUDERALIS
SATIVA | AVG. THC 20-24% | MINOR VARIATION | FROSTY AND DENSE
APPLE | GAS
Sour Apple is a crossbreed to auto project that combines classic fuel terp/high THC strains with the fruity terps and amazing vigor of the Magic Melon Auto. In 2019 we isolated high THC phenos of the Humboldt Sour Diesel and then bred them with seed from the plants testing over 20% THC. With dense buds that have an attractive purple and green mottling and sugar-coated frost, this is worthy of the top shelf anywhere.
FLOWERING TIME 75-90 Days From Germination
STRAIN BENEFITS
Sativa
Apples, Gas
Average THC 20%-24%
Frosty and dense nugs
Number of Plants: ONE
Soil:
- Starter pot, 40% Fox Farms Happy Frog, 40% Fox Farms Ocean Forest, 20% Mother Earth perlite #3
- Final pot, 70% Fox Farms Ocean Forest, 30% Mother Earth perlite #3
Pots:
- Stater pot is a sour cream container that I poked many many holes in all around and on the bottom to simulate an airpot
- Final pot is a 5 gallon fabric pot
Lights:
- (2) 29-watt full spectrum UFO led panels
- (1) Natural Sun at 93,000,000 miles above canopy
- (1) Non sponsored 1000 watt full spectrum quantum board/(2) Non sponsored 1200 watt blurples
Tent (when used): Topolite 5 x 5 x 6'11" equipped with the quantum board and blurples
Environmental Tent Controls for tent use indoor hours sunset to sunrise:
- 8000 btu AC unit for cold air intake
- Additional 5000 btu AC unit for cold air intake
- 6" AC Infinity 8 speed exhaust fan
- 6" Carbon Filter w/Australian charcoal
- 5 fans of various sizes and placement possibilities
- Dehumidifier
- Humidifier
Environmental Outdoor Controls for outdoor hours 6 am to 8 pm: None
Environmental Controls in Bathroom For Early Veg up until transplant: Temp and humidity will be that of inside the house, ie, 76 - 78 degrees and around 60% humidity. I can bring a humidifier into the bathroom to increase humidity during seedling stage.
Nutes: Fox Farms trio of Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom. Non sponsored mycorrhizae. Organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses. Humboldt's Secret Cal Mag plus Iron. Silica.

Alright, so I learned many things growing autos in the journal currently going. Still am. But I have learned enough to know a couple things. I have ten HSC Sour Apple seeds. My ultimate goal is to grow a whole tent of them. I LST'ed every plant hard in my current (and first) autoflower grow. I don't know if a plant is going to yield better if just let to go, with just the branches pulled out. No topping. No LST. Just let the plant grow close to completely naturally. In terms of training, that's the plan with this plant. Basically ZERO training. That way I will have had the experience of LST'ing several strains of auto and be able to compare it to a plant that is just let to go. It will also allow me to see just how big the Sour Apple can get if left to her own devices. I already know I can keep it short if I want to. This way, when I next go on to a whole tent of Sour Apple, this experience will help me a ton to decide how to grow them and how many. I also learned that three gallon pots are not really big enough to grow a really big auto. My current autos are in three gallon pots, and every single plant has a root ball that completely fills the pot. There's no place for them to go, and it's been like that a while. Which obviously limits the size of the plant and the yield. So this Sour Apple will go from the large sour cream container starter pot to a five gallon fabric pot. One transplant, thus the selection of a larger pot than a Dixie Cup to begin with.

Regarding how this plant will grow in what light...

- First two or three weeks of growth will take place right where she is in the photograph - my bathtub. Under the UFO panels. 20/4 light cycle. The par at soil level in the picture is 320 par. It goes up to about 440 right at the light. Plenty of light for early veg and very easy to control the environment.
- Once she outgrows that pot, she will get transplanted to a five gallon pot and at that point her light cycle will change. Once in her five, she will go outside and grow in the natural sunlight from about 6 am til about 8 pm. The autos already proved to me that they can easily take the summer weather here, ie, mid 90's by day during their outdoor hours. That will cover 14 hours of light a day.
- At 8 pm she will come inside and go into the tent under the quantum board and blurples. She'll live in there with 6 more hours of LED lighting, bringing her total hours of light per day to 20. and spend the dark hours in the tent.
- This sunlight/LED daily cycle (14 hours sun/6 hours LED) will continue through harvest.

I have found on my current grow that the autos FAR FAR prefer natural sunlight to any light they could possibly be provided in a tent. The ones I am growing now hit a new gear when they started spending their days in the sunlight. The resin production is WAY enhanced. The growth is faster. The plants respond better and the pots dry more evenly in a more consistent timeframe. There's no downside and no comparison imho. Except you can't give them 20 hours of sun per day. And if you just go 14/10 using ONLY the sun, that's a lot of wasted time that the autos would be dark when they could be producing. Thus, the idea to go back and forth. So we'll see how it goes.

Day One will be the day the seed sprouts. I put the seed in paper towels two days ago, no soaking first, and in 48 hours it popped and sprouted a 3/4" tap root. Into the dirt she went.

So there we are. Welcome to a rather odd one plant grow journal. Commentary is always encouraged, desired, and appreciated, as are questions, criticisms, suggestions for different courses of action, or plain old atta-boys. Lol. In the picture she is sharing space for a few days with the Lemon Autos from my current grow who live in the bathtub overnight now.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hi guys - obviously I tagged y'all for this.
@Bill284, @Emilya, @Virgin Ground, @Michael Hunt, @Ivumlow, @stone Otter, @Bud love, @jonoldstyle, @Backlipslide

HSC Sour Apple in the ground May 18 three quarter inch tap root.jpg
Don't forget to take her out before you have a bath. :laugh:
That big auto grow sounds good. But ill tag along and watch this little girl become a lady.
Hope you are well Jon.
Bill

And, 48 hours later, we have a brand new light junkie.

She's up!

I will take one sentence to pat myself on the back for now being 21 for 21 lifetime on popping and germinating seeds. It's the only thing I've never screwed up. Lmao.

Anyway, it's on like Donkey Kong. Today would officially be Day One of the Sour Apple Auto grow!!

DAY ONE.jpg

Gonna open this journal up to philosophy of growing type stuff non-related to this specific grow if y'all choose. Not that you wouldn't anyway if you felt like it. Lol. Me too. So I'll start it off with a quickie we can probably all agree on:

Happiness is smoking your OWN weed, from a clean bong, with cold water, the very first time it's first becoming ready, after curing for at least two weeks. It's one of the big reasons why I grow. Having this reality with dispensary weed, or even good weed from the street, doesn't hold a candle to THIS.

That's my assertion for the day.

:snowboating::snowboating::snowboating::snowboating::snowboating:

Yup.jpg

@Bill284, truer words were never spoken. Thanks. You made one mistake though, so I fixed it for you and reposted below. Thanks, man. Wanna go to the prom with me? :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

Also having great friends with a common goal and support.
- @Bill284

:thumb:

USER=335090]@Bill284[/USER], truer words were never spoken. Thanks. You made one mistake though, so I fixed it for you and reposted below. Thanks, man. Wanna go to the prom with me? :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

Also having great friends with a common goal and support.
- @Bill284

:thumb:
If you have a Tux im in.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Bill

I’m all in. Been thinking of doing to exact same thing with an auto. I’m thinking about just letting one do it’s thing outside and see what she does.

NTH
Hey NTH thanks for stopping by. Yep, that's exactly the idea. I was thinking about it this morning and honestly it's going to take everything I have to leave the plant alone. I really am gonna want to bend her all the way over when she's around four nodes tall and start training her. Just seems like the natural thing to do, lol. But if I don't let ONE go I will never have first hand info for myself on what they do if left to their own devices. It'll be cool I think. Fun. Anyway, I don't see the point of daily photos of a growing seedling, so I will post pictures when there's something worth posting. But I did add a humidifier to the bathroom so that she is maintained at 70 percent humidity, and I moved her closer to the light so that she wouldn't generate anymore length before shooting leaves. She's about two inches to the emerging first set, which is normally way longer than I like. But for the sake of the experiment, which really is about how TALL and BIG will the plant get, I let it go for a few days. My current auto grow I sprouted them with lots of light and they stayed WAY short. Bushy. Which is great, but it made them difficult to LST for a while and I believe it cost me height and yield. Anyway, that's what's going on. Glad to have you along. Maybe we'll both learn something if we're lucky. Ha.

Sour Apple Auto Update
Day 8

So in eight days we went from just poking her head out of the ground to the pictures you see here. She's happy and healthy and seems to be enjoying her bathtub home. Also seems like adequate light because there is no stretching, this girl is starting leaves exactly where I would hope. She stands out at attention most of the time like she is here. I also added the humidifier to the mix so that she can have an actual 70-75% humidity. The humidifier works amazingly well in the little bathroom, so I have it set on auto so when the humidity drops below 68% it kicks on the steam and it sprays off the lights directly and flows down onto the plant. It's mesmerizing to watch. Other than that, there's not much to say about an 8 day old plant except she's healthy. That's the most important thing. She seems to be growing pretty much like any eight day old auto. I think they take a little longer than photos to get off the ground, but once they do they go gangbusters. So we'll see with this girl. She's another week in the bathtub before she'll be big enough that I'll be comfortable to begin her outside part of life for 14 hours a day of real sun. Let her bulk up a little first. I will begin watering her to weight and using Emilya's method basically next time she needs water. The roots should be out enough by now that they will be able to grab a hold of water I place to the outside of the container and head that way.

The best part is it's been 8 days and I haven't made a mistake yet. Lol.

Enjoy the fledgling badass pictures! The one with my thumb in it is to show how far from the dirt to the first set of leaves, ie, how much stem.

Sour Apple Auto.jpg

Sour Apple overview.jpg

With thumb to show how much stem to first leaves.jpg

What her life looks like right now.jpg

Wow!!! That's really accelerated in growth. Keep doing what your doing. It's happy and healthy mate.. nice work.. looking forward to the next update:thumb:
Thanks Squiggle! I didn't know she was worth a wow, that's cool. I just was happy she's healthy and not stretched. It's all I can do to stick to the plan and not start training her. Lol. But I'll stick to the plan and we'll find out how big this girl can get. The five gallon AirPot arrived, so that's ready to go when she is.

Well, since we opened this journal up to philosophy and pretty much whatever is on anyone's mind related to growing, I have a Tuesday morning observation to share.

Bathrooms are EXCELLENT tools for a grow with MANY uses that work very very well.

So by necessity I have been forced to find other locations for various elements of the grows than the tents. For drying buds. For starting a plant from seed. Stuff like that. And so I've learned the magic of the bathroom. If your bathrooms are anything like mine, here's a couple really useful things I've figured out about them:

- Bathtubs are the perfect size for seedling/early veg growth.
- They are also white and reflective usually.
- Humidifiers, little ones for a small tent, work incredibly effectively in a bathroom due to the small space and if you place it in the bathtub the tub kind of helps to contain it and the fan in the ceiling helps to keep it moving in addition to any other little fan you have in there. My humidifier ain't nothing special, although it works pretty well, and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to no matter where I set the numbers. That would never be the case in a tent.
- I checked mine out of curiosity, and DEhumidifiers, should you ever have a reason to use one in the bathroom setting, also work with the same level of effectiveness in the bathroom. Mine WAY outperforms it's tent performance.
- If you do seedling/early veg in the bathtub drainage is obviously a breeze. No shop vacuuming out your tent or any of that bullshit.
- Assuming your place has air conditioning, it is usually the bathroom that gets the most. A small bathroom with the door closed and the AC in the house running, in most houses, gives you a nice cold bathroom. Mine does. It's about 70 in the bathroom versus higher in the other parts of the house. Just cuz the bathroom is so small and it's one of the more well ventilated rooms of the house for obvious reasons. This gives you (well, it gives me at least,), an EXCELLENT drying room. The buds dry slowly in 60% humidity and 70 degrees temperature. Those are the approximate environmental conditions in an AC'ed bathroom in the average house. I'm talking small bathrooms, not McMansion bathrooms. A toilet, a tub, and a sink. I have dried every autoflower bud I have in the bathroom and they are so sweet when they're ready for the curing process I can't believe it. Takes about five to six days, which, for the size of the buds I'm drying from autos, is plenty of time. I thought and kind of worried that it would be less, cuz I hate fast dries. But the bathroom has proven to be just as good as drying buds in the tent, which is obviously my preference but was impossible in this case. So I had to bribe a few housemates and work out putting towels under the door to help contain the odor, but I made it work. Lol.
- The toilet with the lid down is often right next to the foot end of the bathtub. Mine is. This gives you an easy and perfect place to sit your seedling Dixie cup or whatever right in front of you on a solid surface to inspect it or water or whatever. This sounds like a silly thing to point out, but I'm learning many realities of growing, and one of them is that when you move a plant for any reason, the first thing you better do is identify where you're going to move it TO, and what you're going to place it ON. Not always as easy as it sounds depending on your situation. So the toilet, as silly as it sounds, is a perfect little table for small container work in a bathroom.
- If you use tap water, the bathroom has tap water readily and easily available, and once again if you felt like it you could use the toilet to have a nice table to mix nutes on. Large containers that can't be filled in the sink can be filled from the bathtub faucet.
- A very small fan has a very large effect in a small bathroom and with a myriad of different level surfaces (side of tub, toilet lid, sink, etc.) to place it on you can really hone in exactly how you want the air blowing on your plant, assuming you start with a fan that early as I would argue you probably should, so as to begin building the stem as early as possible. Just be gentle. There's never a need for a large fan.
- Thinking ahead, if you could rig a real light at the top of your shower, I suspect the bathtub would be an excellent place to grow one plant from seed to harvest. Darkness seal is easy. Ventilation is easy. Airflow is easy. Environmental control is easy. And there's plenty of room for one plant. Only issue would be the odor, and potentially you could even put a filter to the outside in a bathroom no problem and control that as well. I may try this sometime, especially with an auto. I'm sure I could figure out how to get one blurple in the right spot in the shower. One blurple would grow one plant in a bathroom and produce excellent results. And, the upper ceiling fan pulling air out is generally right in the middle of the shower ceiling. Mine is. Thus, extra heat relief help for the heat from the light. It will rise and be vented out immediately. Lots of upside here. Just gotta black out the one window. Easy peasy.

So that's a partial list of the potential upside to using the bathroom as a tool.

Thanks for listening to me babble.

Here's a question/experimental grow idea I'm working on for the next grow, for anyone who chooses to chime in, it's about the next photo grow but it's sort of in the vein of this experiment:

Let's say I wanted to bud a plant on a 12/12 cycle outdoors, but not grow the entire plant outdoors. And let's further say that there is absolutely viable, full sunlight from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Let's take one more leap and assume that transportation of a large plant on wheels can be easily arranged between a tent and the outdoors, and let's even go one MORE step and assume that one has a tap water outdoor hose readily accessible to the plant outside at all times. All of those things are true for me. I'm in a lucky situation in that regard.

So this is what I want to do. I wanna VEG the plant for as long as I want, and shape it however I want, in a tent under either my G8 or the quantum board/blurples combo. Either is killer for veg or bud. Under an 18/6 light cycle. I want to maintain that plant in veg until it is significantly larger than my solo Jelly Rancher, Sadie. This can be accomplished in less time than I vegged the current photos if I don't cost them a week here and week there by screwing something up. I want to shape it without a screen in a similar fashion as I did Sadie, but better, and more, and maybe another half to twice as big as Sadie. In a larger pot, like a seven or a ten. Then, when I'm ready to send her to bud I want to bud her in the natural sunlight. The only way to do this is to take the plant out of the tent at 7 a.m. each day, move it into the sun, then put it back into the tent to sleep at 7 p.m. each evening. Obviously in this scenario I can't make it EXACTLY 7 and 7 as if it were being controlled by a timer, but I can move the plant in and out to a spot in probably two minutes or so each way. That should not confuse the plant or make it hermie, two fricking minutes of alteration to a 12/12 cycle at each end.

This would be a TON of work, just the daily moving alone would test me. But I'm certain it can be done. I have a couple little one foot handicapped ramps that I can put inside and outside the entrance to the tent that are a perfect six inches high, so the plant could just go up and down the short ramps to make it easy and so I didn't trash the bottom zipper opening to the tent. From there it's on a concrete garage floor onto a smooth driveway and to a spot that's stealthy really easily. Obviously I would have the pot on a drip riser, with a drip tray like usual, then that whole setup with the plant on wheels. That's how Sadie is set up now. It's awesome. And it would provide enough clearance that the plant, when outside, would NEVER be sitting on the actual ground. I just want the sun, no other part of the outdoors. Lol. The door to my tent, if I used the Topolite, which would be easier due to it's placement, is gigantic and I would not worry about trashing branches or buds from the sides of the openings.

I really want to see a photo bud in the sun without having to wait until the fall to harvest it and without it getting 15 feet tall and getting me tossed in jail. Lol. This seems to me to be a viable option, and I'm more than willing to do the work. It would be another one plant in the tent deal. And since I wouldn't have nine autos going at the same time I bet it wouldn't be that big of a deal in terms of the work. One plant, just make her big and perfect, and without all the hassle of a scrog. I really like the freedom that working the plant is afforded with Sadie versus the photos in the scrog. She's SO easy to work with and do whatever I want with. The wheels make things WAY easier. I can already see that the yield I'm gonna get from Sadie, all alone with all that space, is gonna be fantastic. So in the scenario here I see big yield, lots of valuable experience to gain in the training, and getting the experience of seeing a plant bud in real sunlight. My guess, if the autos are and indication, is that this would work extremely well and produce a better final product than one can produce with LEDs. I mean, it is the sun for budding we're talking about. I have $2000 worth of technology trying to duplicate it, why not use the real deal if it's possible?

So guys, what are the pitfalls and terrors that would await me were I to choose this course of action? Is there a ton of stuff that I have no idea about that can screw me up? Besides bugs, mold, and the stuff I can't control outdoors I mean, that stuff I would deal with as necessary, but we're talking about basically budding her on the driveway, not in the grass, as far away from the ravages of nature as possible. The autos were like that and I got zero bugs or issues of any kind. And it's a safe bet that nobody else in my neighborhood is growing weed, so no worries about accidental pollination. I don't fear the nature part of the outside. On rainy days I simply run her 12 hour day in the tent. She never gets rained on. She never spends the night outside. She's never in the grass or around other plants or landscaping. I mean, I think if one wanted to try this I am as well set up for it as one can be.

Love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks guys.

Hey Jon hope your good ma.. buddy?
Love’n reading your posts, Loads of great ideas and interesting stuff going on.
Thanks for sharing it, looking forward to the journey already:)
Peace an buds to ya
Thanks Bud Love! Peace to you and yours as well. So what do you think? The only downside I can see to budding in the sun like I described is the humidity factor. But I think I would have the buds nice and spread out with lots of air flow, just like Sadie, who has needed not a single leaf of defol for the buds to get light. And, I could put a large fan on the plant outdoors as well as I have the extension cord length to get that done. Between a big fan, lots of air flow, and the fact that buds prosper outdoors in hot weather all the time, I think it would work out ok. I have started researching strains that do especially well in hot weather, as it will get up to 95 in the day if I do this. The two that keep making every list are Amnesia Haze and White Widow. Ever grown either of them? I like the White Widow a lot, and she's a beautiful plant from what I've seen, and the Amnesia Haze is legendary. I have never smoked either one. How about you? Ever smoked those strains? They're pretty common, I'm surprised I haven't come across them yet.

Experimental Sour Apple Autoflower Update
Day 11

So today it is pretty much cloudy and overcast here and is going to be for most of the day. The temperature is around 84. I thought today would be a perfect day to test our girl and see if she's ready to spend her days in the sun yet or if she wants to bulk up further first. I think she should be okay. I just put her out at 10 am. I am monitoring her very closely to make sure it's not too much for her. I don't see why it would be but what do I know. It's a baby. So we'll watch closely. Anyway, she was ready so I watered her, and set up a nice spot that's got a wind screen of sorts, and here she is in the sunshine for the first time. I wonder if she's shocked with the change or more like a crackhead who just hit the lottery? Lol. So she looks a little droopy cuz I literally watered her fifteen minutes before the picture and that's what she does until she comes back up to attention in an hour or two. I put the three little skewers in those spots specifically to keep the plant from the wind causing a break or something. She's delicate, so I just wanted to make sure.

Check out the girl! Now entertaining names for her. She's solo, so she needs a name.

First outdoor day for Sour Apple.jpg

First outdoor day for Sour Apple 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom