Jon's Experimental Single Sour Apple Autoflower Indoor/Outdoor Sunlight/LED Soil Grow

Another very well done and informative journal Jon. For me it's all about the high, and I'd be perfectly happy with an oz that gets me really high. I also like mixing strains to keep down any tolerance you might be developing. So I'd call this grow a success even if you're not thrilled with the yield. I'll take 1 z that gets you there over 6 that don't.

I like autos outdoors, small 12 week autos are less obvious and you can potentially get
a early summer crop and a fall crop. Or you can grow large sativa autos that take 20+ weeks.
I currently have one that is over 6' and started flowering 5-6 weeks ago, feels more like a early flowering
photo, flowers are not dense so not very impressive to look at but should be mold resistant.
I haven't tried one outdoors all the way yet. The weather here is not conducive to that until the winter. But come October or so I think I'm gonna plant every auto seed I have and put them in sevens and grow them outside and see what happens. By then it's not 95 degrees with 75% humidity anymore. Lol.

Another very well done and informative journal Jon. For me it's all about the high, and I'd be perfectly happy with an oz that gets me really high. I also like mixing strains to keep down any tolerance you might be developing. So I'd call this grow a success even if you're not thrilled with the yield. I'll take 1 z that gets you there over 6 that don't.
Thanks BK909 - and I agree with you 100%. I was just disappointed, but mostly it was because of my own internal estimate and the corresponding yield. If I hadn't gotten it into my head that the bud was a two ounce bud I wouldn't have been so disappointed. So as always, it's the grower's fault. Lol! This Chunkadelic appears so far like she will be a bigger yielder. The other thing I do like about autos is that you can experiment with them any way you want, with training, different strains, different light cycles, etc, and it's hard to screw one up. Eventually I figure I'll find the strains that are consistently higher in thc and consistently produce. The seed seller's claims are crap I've come to realize. You gotta see for yourself what a specific strain will do. So far I only have one keeper in my book, which is the Dutch Passion Cinderella Jack. I'd grow that again, that was real weed. Other than that every strain I've grown has been okay, but in my opinion far from great. The Sour Apple that is curing now may also be an exception, as the test bud I smoked of it got me high as hell, and I have pretty significant tolerance. Partly that was just cuz it was different weed. You know how sometimes when you smoke something new, even if it's not maybe as good as what you had been smoking, it gets you super high? That's how it is with the Sour Apple, so we'll see how she is in a few weeks of cure. Is that mostly my fault that so far most of the autos I've grown have been meh? Probably. Which is why I'm sticking with it a little longer. I keep seeing guys harvesting quarter pounds from one auto and it makes me hungry to get to that point with them. If I can do that then they are unquestionably worth growing, indoors or outside, you know?

Jon please help me with my stoner memory. I just chopped the first ugly girl after 36 hrs of darkness. It didn't get very dank at all which didn't surprise me the poor thing was half dead already. Seems I used to hang them until the stems would snap, then I'd trim them up, put them in paper bags (does anyone still do this?) and burp them a few times a day until the buds got scratchy against the paper is the best way to describe it. It usually took 7-10 days to get to that point, then they were ready for the jars with humidors to monitor RH, burp as needed. Or in some cases add a stem if they were too dry. I just don't remember what RH to bring them to, 63 sounds right but I wanted to run all the above by you. I've got her hanging in my bedroom with a little breeze, the room is prettty dark temp about 70 RH about 60-65.

Jon please help me with my stoner memory. I just chopped the first ugly girl after 36 hrs of darkness. It didn't get very dank at all which didn't surprise me the poor thing was half dead already. Seems I used to hang them until the stems would snap, then I'd trim them up, put them in paper bags (does anyone still do this?) and burp them a few times a day until the buds got scratchy against the paper is the best way to describe it. It usually took 7-10 days to get to that point, then they were ready for the jars with humidors to monitor RH, burp as needed. Or in some cases add a stem if they were too dry. I just don't remember what RH to bring them to, 63 sounds right but I wanted to run all the above by you. I've got her hanging in my bedroom with a little breeze, the room is prettty dark temp about 70 RH about 60-65.
Hey BK909 - Well, to the best of my knowledge 62-63 percent is pretty good. That's about what I shoot for. Some of those little Boveda packs go down a lot lower, and I know several people use the 58s. It's kind of a personal preference sort of thing to me. I would think you would be fine at 63 percent, but if I were you I would also bounce this off someone with a lot more experience than me. But hope that helps.

The cure range is 65%-59%... keep it anywhere in that range as long as possible. The 58% bovidas are for long term storage of already cured pot so that it doesn't mold.
Thanks Emilya. See @BubbaKush909? That's exactly why I suggested you ask someone with a lot more experience than me. Lol.

Epilogue:

Hey guys, there's nothing else to post about Sue Anne the Sour Apple Auto other than a smoke report when she's all cured up, and I can and will post that in a Strain/Smoke Report in the other section. I'm going to close this journal out. Thanks to everyone who helped me along this journey, your input has been invaluable. I really appreciate anyone who followed along or checked in.

This was nice. A quickie 7 page job. Lol. Kind of cool doing a one plant journal, they don't get to be 40+ pages. Lol. Too many factors at play to really draw any conclusions from the "experiment," other than we learned the importance of keeping as consistent a spectrum as possible on your plants so as to provide them as non-changing an environment in that regard as you can. I suppose that knowledge is valuable. Also, based on what I've learned since this plant was harvested (thanks @Emilya), I would have been Ph-ing to 6.3 rather than 6.5-6.6 for the entirety of the grow. Probably cost myself some quality and yield there. Oh, and we also learned that 95 degrees is too hot for the Sour Apple and will curl her leaves rather quickly. Whether the strain always grows one main cola as this plant did and little else every time (assuming no training) remains to be seen, but the Sour Apple going now that's briefly mentioned in my current journal ought to answer that question.

Here's a few final notes on Sue Anne, and I'll give the appropriate more detail in the smoke report in a couple weeks.

Yield: Weak - 1 oz. + 1 1/8th of perfect final trimmed buds - very little trim for the Trim Bin
Quality: Very High - based on test buds pre-cure - will know better in a few weeks
THC: Moderate - maybe 22-23% - will have a better idea when I can smoke it in earnest
Taste: Yet to be determined pending cure
Growing: Couldn't be easier on every level
Size at the end: 27" tall
Girth: Never got wider than the pot itself
Total time from seed in wet paper towel: 79 Days
Training: Zero
Defoliation: Extremely minimal
Nutes: Fox Farms trio, CalMag plus Iron, organic blackstrap molasses, mycorrhizae
Soil: Fox Farms blend - OF/HF/perlite
Pots: Started in Dixie cup, transplanted to 5 gallon AirPot

Thanks again for your help and following along! Happy Growing!

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Epilogue:

Hey guys, there's nothing else to post about Sue Anne the Sour Apple Auto other than a smoke report when she's all cured up, and I can and will post that in a Strain/Smoke Report in the other section. I'm going to close this journal out. Thanks to everyone who helped me along this journey, your input has been invaluable. I really appreciate anyone who followed along or checked in.

This was nice. A quickie 7 page job. Lol. Kind of cool doing a one plant journal, they don't get to be 40+ pages. Lol. Too many factors at play to really draw any conclusions from the "experiment," other than we learned the importance of keeping as consistent a spectrum as possible on your plants so as to provide them as non-changing an environment in that regard as you can. I suppose that knowledge is valuable. Also, based on what I've learned since this plant was harvested (thanks @Emilya), I would have been Ph-ing to 6.3 rather than 6.5-6.6 for the entirety of the grow. Probably cost myself some quality and yield there. Oh, and we also learned that 95 degrees is too hot for the Sour Apple and will curl her leaves rather quickly. Whether the strain always grows one main cola as this plant did and little else every time (assuming no training) remains to be seen, but the Sour Apple going now that's briefly mentioned in my current journal ought to answer that question.

Here's a few final notes on Sue Anne, and I'll give the appropriate more detail in the smoke report in a couple weeks.

Yield: Weak - 1 oz. + 1 1/8th of perfect final trimmed buds - very little trim for the Trim Bin
Quality: Very High - based on test buds pre-cure - will know better in a few weeks
THC: Moderate - maybe 22-23% - will have a better idea when I can smoke it in earnest
Taste: Yet to be determined pending cure
Growing: Couldn't be easier on every level
Size at the end: 27" tall
Girth: Never got wider than the pot itself
Total time from seed in wet paper towel: 79 Days
Training: Zero
Defoliation: Extremely minimal
Nutes: Fox Farms trio, CalMag plus Iron, organic blackstrap molasses, mycorrhizae
Soil: Fox Farms blend - OF/HF/perlite
Pots: Started in Dixie cup, transplanted to 5 gallon AirPot

Thanks again for your help and following along! Happy Growing!
Jon.. gotta be said.. your pretty darn good at growing and journaling.. excellent in fact:)
Thanks for sharing matey.

Jon.. gotta be said.. your pretty darn good at growing and journaling.. excellent in fact:)
Thanks for sharing matey.
Thanks Bud Love! I appreciate the kind words. Forgive me if I disagree with you, cuz I have a long way to go before I'm an excellent grower. You're not without skills yourself, you know.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:
Thanks Teddy. Yes, the new journal is up and running.

Final Word on the Sour Apple Autoflower in Spent Soil
5 Gallon Rootball

That would be a 5 gallon autoflower rootball.jpg

Back
Top Bottom