Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

Hi Guys!

Welcome to my 4th grow!!

Today begins our newest journal, and one I am very excited about. This will be my fourth ever grow, and I am going to try my first outdoor grow! I live in a state where about nowish is when the outdoor climate is such that it's perfect for growing outdoors. In another two or three weeks the sweet spot begins in earnest and lasts until April. That's when I am moving from this state back to Pennsylvania where I am from. So this will be my last grow before I move. I know this will give me three active grow journals, and I know that's a bit much. Ain't nobody gotta follow unless they want! I do the journals not only to hopefully learn from those who may comment and to meet members, but also to document my own grows for myself. So three journals be damned, it is what it is, and one is pictures only and only once a week with no commentary. So really only two. Lol. I am starting the outdoor grow TODAY. The four seeds are hitting the wet paper towels as we speak. Anyway, here's the deal:

Strains: Sugar Breath Photoperiod and Strawberry Banana Autoflower
Genetics/What Kind of Weed: Sugar Breath, from Humboldt Seed Organization, is an indica strong hybrid cross of Do-Si-Dos x OGKB.
Strawberry Banana, developed by DNA Genetics and purchased from 420FastBuds, is an indica cross of Crockett’s Banana Kush and the “Strawberry” phenotype of Bubble Gum
THC%: Sugar Breath - 26%
Strawberry Banana - 27% Note: The Strawberry Banana auto has won the "Highest THC Autoflower of the Year" for 2021 in more than one competition, and if you google "2021 strongest autoflower" you will see that it heads several of those lists that come up.
Flowering Time: The Sugar Breath is supposedly a fast finisher and is ready in 60-65 days of flower according to HSO. The Strawberry Banana Auto is listed as a 10-11 week plant from seed to harvest according to 420FastBuds.
Grow Medium: We are going to use Sohum living soil for all four plants, with the only difference being that we will add extra perlite to the bagged soil as I have found it can use the extra drainage and it seems to make sense for growing outdoors when, for the first time ever, I will not be in control of watering the plant other than in case of drought, which isn't going to happen here. Using the Sohum also saves me the hassle of trucking nutes and water to the backyard all the time. I am seeing excellent results in my first try with the Sohum in my current grow journal, so it really seems to be logical to try it for the outdoor grow.
Soil Addendum: Fox Farms Soil Blend to start (specifically outlined below), Sohum living soil in all pots post the first up-potting.
Pot Size and Order of UpPotting: The Sugar Breath will go like this: 1 gallon starter pot > 3 gallon fabric pot > 10 gallon fabric pot final home. The 1 gallon pot will be my usual Fox Farms soil mix of 40% Ocean Forest/40% Happy Frog/20% perlite #3, as it is best and also advised by Sohum to not start seedlings directly in Sohum soil. Upon transplants the Sugar Breath will up-pot into 100% Sohum each time. The Strawberry Banana Auto will go like this: Dixie Cup > 5 gallon fabric pot final home. The Strawberry Banana will also begin in the FF blend, and when it hits the 5 gallon pot, will be transplanted into a mix of Sohum and my regular soil mix. That part will be outlined with photos in the journal when it comes up as the methodology is important to proper growth of autoflowers in Sohum and well worthy of note.
Nutes: While using the Sohum eliminates the need for regular nutrient feeding, I have found that during early budding a boost of sorts works very well, and depending on the plants I may add CalMag plus Iron as required. I will be using mycorrhizae to dust each transplant hole as that time comes. I will also add organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses once we are into budding. Lastly, I will be giving weekly doses of mono-silicic acid (MSA) at 40% concentration. Anything else the plant needs it should get from the soil. The MSA will help the stems get very strong, as I have found on my first try with it in my current grow. It works great and seems very logical to use on plants grown outdoors.
Growing Methodology/Training: The Sugar Breath will not get a whole lot of training. Maybe some topping early on. It should get very big and training beyond spreading out branches and defoliating should not be necessary. At some point we may toss a net around her to help with that. Having never grown outside, and wanting very much to learn it so that I can do both indoor and outdoor in the future when the climate allows, this outdoor Sugar Breath is kind of my test run. While I feel I have an infantile grasp of indoor growing in soil, I have far leass confidence in the outdoor scene. The seed was a freebie and I only have the one, so I'm not too terribly concerned about how she turns out. It's more about the learning with her. The autoflowers are a different story. With these I feel my grasp is slightly beyond infantile (this will be my 4th grow in my life, but I've grown several strains of autos in that time - I'm pretty confident in my auto abilities). The Strawberry Banana autos are going to get trained in the extreme for an auto. They will be topped between nodes 2 and 3 using Uncle Ben's method and perhaps topped again if there's time. They will be LST'ed religiously the entire grow to max out their bud sites and yield. All the training will be displayed in the journal. Regarding getting these girls all off the ground, we are going to start the plants and grow them until their first transplant at least in the Gorilla tent with the current grow, which is still in veg for another month or so - certainly long enough to get to the first transplant. As long as there is adequate space in the tent and they don't infringe too much on the space the existing grow plants need, they will stay in the tent. When they get too big they will exit the tent permanently. At that point all the plants will begin their outdoor lives and stay outdoors until the end. I have the luxury of being able to move the plants onto a covered, brick lennai at night if I want to, and may do so as it will keep the plants from getting rained on overnight or being in the grass around all the bugs and such overnight. They will all be on wheels and it will be easy to move them onto the grass where they grow to the lennai and back each morning. I think the extra work will be worth the peace of mind it will give me.
Pest Prevention: I have never grown outside before really. I am well aware there is a hugely more potential to have pest issues, despite the plants being in pots and on wheels. We'll have to see what happens, but I am confident that one of the folks I know in here will have the answers I need should that become an issue. The same would apply to any outdoor growing questions that I will inevitably have as this grow progresses.

Environmental Conditions: For the time these girls are getting off the ground and living in the Gorilla tent, they will get the veg conditions that the current photos have in there. Specifically this means they will be in a temperature range of 72-78 degrees by day and 64-68 degrees at night. Their Rh will be in the 45-65% range depending on outdoor conditions that day. They will begin at the floor of the tent, which will be hitting them with around 350-400 par to start, and where they will likely stay for their short starter time in the Gorilla. Once we move outdoors, the typical temperatures for their outdoor lives here is approximately 76-85 by day and 68-74 by night. The humidity also gets lower here this time of year, and I'm not sure about that yet but it should be around 55-70% and get lower as the weeks progress. Obviously the light hitting them outdoors will be whatever the sun has in store for them that day, lol. I have an excellent sun-drenched front and back yard and the plants should never want for direct sunlight.

That's about as much specific information as I can think of to start this journal guys. When the seeds all sprout I will post the first picture and Day 1 of the grow will be considered the first day our seeds break ground for the first time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to stop in and say hey from time to time. I really value input and commentary from any and all comers. I try hard to learn something from each of you, and everyone has something to offer no matter their level of experience. I will outline specific posts as I go that I feel would be especially useful to fledgling growers, if any of you guys happen to follow. Maybe a new grower will be able to benefit from my endless obsessiveness with growing and how far I've been able to come in three grows to this point and less than two years total of growing weed. I'm at the point where at least I no longer think I completely suck at this. Now I only pretty much suck. :yahoo: I will also ask any questions I can publicly when I ask things of experienced buddies here, so that anyone else who may need it can benefit from any knowledge I gain over the course of the grow.

Super excited about this one guys. My last grow in this godforsaken state. Let's have some fun. I tagged 10 folks as allowed, and hi guys, hope you'll follow along. The likelihood is that I will be leaning on you. As always. Heh.

:snowboating::snowboating:

We must be in the same state. Look forward to the grow
Hey @Renaissance Man, nice to "meet" you. Heh. Don't think we've communicated before have we? If so I apologize. Lol. So regarding your comment, I really would love to know if that's true. I don't mention my actual state (not that it's a big mystery based on what I do say) for obvious reasons, but I am always eager to meet people who may actually live near me who are in our world. So if you feel like it, send me a conversation about where you're at and we can see if we have any actual proximity to one another. If not that's cool too and thanks for saying hey - you are the first comment of a new journal. That's gotta be worth it's weight in gold. :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

Can't say I've actually "met" anyone yet as I am super new. So new, not even sure I'm allowed to send a private message. Shoot a message to me and I'll see if I can respond. I hope the worth of a first comment, I can put towards a first grow and have a delicious product!

Can't say I've actually "met" anyone yet as I am super new. So new, not even sure I'm allowed to send a private message. Shoot a message to me and I'll see if I can respond. I hope the worth of a first comment, I can put towards a first grow and have a delicious product!
Oh cool, I thought you were someone I just hadn't met yet. Well welcome to 420 man! There's a ton of good information and people willing to share and help on here man. You've come to the right place. If you wouldn't mind an unsolicited suggestion, when I first started on here I immediately began looking through grow journals in the grow journals section. Mostly active journals. This let me see who has something going on related to how I grow (like I'm a soil guy, so I looked first at tons of soil grows), and also allowed me to "meet" people on the forum. That's kind of one way to start to meet people and not feel so new. Meeting folks on here may or may not matter to you on an interpersonal level, but you will likely want to ask questions of folks as you see how the forum works and where you might be able to find the answer to a question you might have.

I'll tell you this and say it unequivocally - you will find MUCH better information on this forum than you will on the internet. Lol.

Good luck man! Start a journal to document your grow! That's another great way to get into the swing of things. We'd love to see what you have going on, and everyone has something to offer. You'll dig it here. Lots of help, lots of respect.

:thumb:

Hi Guys -

Ok so a little bit of a change but it's a definite one and a done deal. We are going with 8 outdoor plants for this grow. Six autos and two photos. I have crystallized and started the following for the grow:

Photos - 1 Sugar Breath (Humboldt Seed Organization)
1 Raspberry Parfait (Humboldt Seed Company)
Autos - 3 Strawberry Banana (420 FastBuds)
1 Gelato (420 FastBuds)
1 Gorilla Glue (420 FastBuds)
1 Strawberry Cheesecake (Humboldt Seed Company)

The 3 Strawberry Banana already popped and are in Dixie Cups and under the lights in the tent. The other 5 seeds are still soaking in the wet paper towel. I'll save you guys the super boring "look at my cup of soil" pictures and when all eight plants are popped and in their first containers (Dixie Cups for the autos, one gallon pots for the photos) I'll start posting pictures. Lol.

My only issues were
1. How do I make it so the photos get 18 hours of light a day in veg if the outdoor natural sun schedule is only 14/10?
2. How do I make it so the autos get 20 hours of light a day for the whole grow facing the same problem?

So the solution is as follows:

On my back lennai my assistant (not the puppy) is creating for me two 5x5 frames, exactly like the 2x4 scrog screen I use. These frames will be attached to legs and end up 10 feet tall for the photos, and 7 feet tall for the autos. All this frame is going to be is 2x4s with nothing else, and the only purpose of them is to hold up two lights. The auto frame is going to use the two blurples that currently light up the auto rig in the garage. The photoperiod frame will use the new light I will have shortly.

The purpose of these two frames is simply to hold up the lights. I will have the plants on a 6 am to 6 pm, 12 hour schedule in the sunlight, and at 6 when the natural light sucks they will go under the lights in their respective frames on my back lennai. The 2 photos will then get 6 more hours of light in veg. The 6 autos will get 8 more hours, giving them a 20/4 light schedule. The lights will be on timers so that at the end of the day for each set of plants they go out and back on at the right time.

Other than that all I said in the intro page is still true. We will get more specific soon enough.

2 outdoor photos
6 outdoor autos
1 outdoor auto in spent soil
Plus whatever I grow in the 5x5

All of that will be my final grow/harvest before I move away from this state. Yay. I think with that many plants, including outdoor plants, if they all make it to harvest (I fully expect them all to be awesome) I won't have to worry about weed for quite a while, and I will also have the bounty from this current grow. DAMN. Ambitious sounding I know but I have it set up to be super easy. You guys will see. You'll dig it I think.

Thanks folks. See you soon here.

DECISION UPDATE

So you don't think I'd ONLY do outdoor for my last grow in this house do you? Oh no. We are also going to be running the 5x5 at the same time, as soon as the current grow is finished. That indoor part will also be a part of this journal, we will integrate it into the updates as soon as it's time. Until then, the journal will be just a record of the outdoor plants.

All that said, we have decided what we're are going to do in the tent.

2 Future #1 from Anesia Seeds in 7 gallon pots.

This would be a significant decision as I had several choices. I can't tell you guys how excited I am to grow Future #1 and see if I can produce some 30% THC weed! If ever there was a strain to get me there, this is it. Check out the strain. It has tested as high as 37%. WHOA. And after now seeing what I can do with training the photos (beginning to feel fairly confident in my training abilities) and how big they can get in terms of bud sites and producing extra colas, I am very confident that I can basically fill my 5x5 with two plants in 7s.

The indoor part is still months away from starting, and the outdoor plants should be well along by the time the first pics of the Future #1 tent grow pop up in this journal.

SUPER GIGANTIC LIGHT DECISION
SPONSOR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!

WOW, am I excited guys. I needed another light to be able to pull off this outdoor grow the way I had intended and laid out here. I had a certain budget. And the absolute BEST light I could find anywhere that fit my budget is a SPONSOR light!!!! My first one!!!!

You guys have seen it before, but ladies and gentlemen, I give you the intrepid MARS HYDRO FC-E6500

1631113186115.png

This is the light that is going to power the outdoor grow during any hours that do not have excellent direct sunlight. This light is of high enough quality that it gives me added freedom to this outdoor part of the grow. The light is going to be set up on my back lennai in a frame, as described in previous post. The original plan was to use every shred of real sun, even after it had begun setting, and I figured that gave me 12 of the 18 veg hours necessary. But really only 10 hours of that sunlight day are high quality light. Well, with THIS light I can easily fill in 8 hours instead of 6 and use 10 hours of sunlight, the good stuff, and 8 hours of this LED, also the good stuff. I'm SO psyched, and as Mars Hydro is a sponsor I will be highlighting this light in the journal as we go. And it's not a sponsored grow, just so there's no confusion. I bought this light of my own accord and am excited to highlight it. Doesn't HAVE to be a sponsored grow to highlight a sponsor product, correct?

Anyway, the light is on the way! I suppose I should tag @Mars Hydro in this post, as I am sincerely hoping they might pop in once in a while a see how their light is performing. Hi Folks at MH!! And guess what - I'm one of those morons who is going to intentionally push this light as far and hard on this grow as I can POSSIBLY push it. It has a LOT of push. My confidence with this style of light is fairly high, as I already use one built in the same (bar) style of similar wattage in my tent.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPONSOR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!

WOW, am I excited guys. I needed another light to be able to pull off this outdoor grow the way I had intended and laid out here. I had a certain budget. And the absolute BEST light I could find anywhere that fit my budget is a SPONSOR light!!!! My first one!!!!

You guys have seen it before, but ladies and gentlemen, I give you the intrepid MARS HYDRO FC-E6500

1631113186115.png

This is the light that is going to power the outdoor grow during any hours that do not have excellent direct sunlight. This light is of high enough quality that it gives me added freedom to this outdoor part of the grow. The light is going to be set up on my back lennai in a frame, as described in previous post. The original plan was to use every shred of real sun, even after it had begun setting, and I figured that gave me 12 of the 18 veg hours necessary. But really only 10 hours of that sunlight day are high quality light. Well, with THIS light I can easily fill in 8 hours instead of 6 and use 10 hours of sunlight, the good stuff, and 8 hours of this LED, also the good stuff. I'm SO psyched, and as Mars Hydro is a sponsor I will be highlighting this light in the journal as we go. And it's not a sponsored grow, just so there's no confusion. I bought this light of my own accord and am excited to highlight it. Doesn't HAVE to be a sponsored grow to highlight a sponsor product, correct?

Anyway, the light is on the way! I suppose I should tag @Mars Hydro in this post, as I am sincerely hoping they might pop in once in a while a see how their light is performing. Hi Folks at MH!! And guess what - I'm one of those morons who is going to intentionally push this light as far and hard on this grow as I can POSSIBLY push it. It has a LOT of push. My confidence with this style of light is fairly high, as I already use one built in the same (bar) style of similar wattage in my tent.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job buddy!!! :party:

That's a beast of a light coming your way! Great stuff!!

Awesome job buddy!!! :party:

That's a beast of a light coming your way! Great job!!
I know!! I'm super over the moon excited about it!!! Seen it here "first hand," so I was in a position to collect much more direct data than I would normally be able to with a light. That's a pretty big advantage. I can't wait till the folks who already use this light start telling me to be careful, and not use it at 100%, and all that cautious stuff that most people get a little nervous about. :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

SPONSOR SPECIAL!!!!!!!!

1631113186115.png

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONE DEAL. The light will be here Sunday. OMG I can't wait.

I am sincerely hoping they might pop in once in a while a see how their light is performing.
I will come and visit you and the girls often. Please @ me in the growing diary when you do.:passitleft:

UPDATE ON THE OUTDOOR GROW
The Grow is Officially Begun!
Who Made the Cut?
The Beginning of Life!
Interesting Developments with our Sponsor
A GIFT OF KARMIC GLORY

This is an exciting post for me. It contains some significant developments on several fronts. Let's start with the gift. So recently @Rexer won some @GeoFlora Nutrients in one of our contests. Rexer and I talk alot, and may just have a cool thing to share with you guys together in the not too distant future. He's a sweet dude, and I can prove it: the man decided, since he is in a place where shipping of the prize to him is not possible, and since Geoflora was kind enough to offer to send it to someone of his choosing who is in the US, to GIFT ME GEOFLORA NUTES!!!!! This is incredibly kind. I communicated yesterday with Geoflora to get my shipping and all and they will be here shortly. Just in time to use them in the outdoor grow!!!!!!! This is awesome. Many people on here swear by these products and I have never used them before. I am going to use them on the photos. So the photos are going to grow in my Fox Farms soil mixture and get Geoflora nutes!!! We also talked about this becoming something of a sponsored grow, and Geoflora was kind enough to say they would indeed love to sponsor me and this can now be considered and actual sponsored grow! My first one and I am honored that the folks at Geoflora deem me worthy. They have already let me know to let them know if there's anything I need to add to what comes from my boy Rexer and they will get it to me forthwith.

THANK YOU REXER AND GEOFLORA!!!!!!!!

Well, my perfect undefeated string since I first began growing of every single seed I ever tried to sprout successfully sprouting has come to an end at 33 seeds. Damn. The Gorilla Glue Auto seed and the Sugar Breath photo seed have still not yet popped and show no indications that they are going to. I have given up on them. If they pop they pop and we'll integrate them in. But instead, to keep the same number of plants as planned, we are popping two other seeds instead:

1 Chocolope photo from DNA Genetics
1 Strawberry Banana Auto from 420FastBuds

We've covered the Strawberry Banana Auto, this one makes four of them in this grow. I love the strain, so that's awesome. Here's what DNA Genetics has to say on Chocolope, and in a previous post somewhere I posted a lot more info on them when I first received the seeds. It's a classic balls to the wall mostly sativa that I've been looking forward to growing, note that it's a 20X Cup winner, and the Sugar Breath crapping the bed gives me the perfect opportunity. Plus this plant will like the weather probably more than any other in the mix:

CHOCOLOPE​

SATIVA DOMINANT HYBRID
CupWinnerIcon-300x300.png
DNA Genetics Chocolope is created by crossing Chocolate Thai with Cannalope Haze to create homage to the Chocolate strains of the 1980s. Chocolope buds offer an earthy, sweet coffee flavor that provides a dreamy, cerebral effect. Expect a strong, euphoric mental shift that is great when coping with depression or stress.

INFORMATION​

• Genetics: Original Chocolate Thai x Cannalope Haze
  • Terpenes: Earthy, Sweet, Chocolate
  • Uses: Depression, Anxiety, Pain, Stress, Fatigue
  • Effects: Relaxed, Happy, Energized
  • Awards: 20x Cup Winner
  • chocolope.jpg

Awards
    1 - Hydro Highlife Cup 2008
    2 - Outdoor Spannabis 2011
    2 - Sativa HT Cannabis Cup 2010
    2 - Coffeeshop HT Cannabis Cup 2007
    2 - Hydro Highlife Cup 2007
    3 - Indoor 4th edition Buenos Aires - Argentina 2011
    3 - Hydro Highlife Cup 2009
    3 - Coffeeshop HT Cannabis Cup 2008
    3 - Indoor Bio Spannabis 2008
    3 - Hollyweed Cup 2006

So that makes the final plant list in this outdoor/augmented grow look like this:
    4 Strawberry Banana Autos
    1 Gelato Auto
    1 Strawberry Cheesecake Auto
    1 Chocolope Photoperiod
    1 Raspberry Parfait Photoperiod

The new @Mars Hydro super light is arriving a day early. It comes TOMORROW!!!!! I'm salivating! The frames to hold the lights outdoors will be finished today.
    In terms of plants so far, the first three Strawberry Banana Autos are up! Today is Day One on them.
    The Gelato Auto and Raspberry Parfait photo are in their pots waiting to break ground, and the Chocolope and Strawberry Banana Auto replacement plants are in the wet paper towels after soaking for a night. The plants that are in dirt are in the Gorilla tent at a low level getting around 300 par.

I'm gonna wait on posting any pictures until the lights are up in the frames tomorrow. I'll show that in detail as it's a pretty radical thing, I think. You guys will dig it alot.

So that's about it. Very exciting stuff. Let's get it ON.

I will come and visit you and the girls often. Please @ me in the growing diary when you do.:passitleft:
Hey @Mars Hydro, your light is coming a day early! I will have it tomorrow and post about it in detail, including the opening and unboxing to show the packing, the assembly, and the hanging. I'm so excited guys. I can't believe you can put out a light of this quality at the price point you're offering. It's incredible. I am also going to post a par test and compare that with the par charts you guys provide, to show the accuracy of them and the accuracy of my par meter.

I'll highlight you guys well and do it justice I hope. Thanks again.

Hey Jon! Congratulations, that was awesome of Geoflora, I'm happy we are fortunate enough to have amazing sponsors like them here.

I can't wait to see how big your outdoor plants are going to be!

That Chocolope and Raspberry strains sound awesome. I've only ever had one plant give a Raspberry type flavor, and I love it (still got some!)

Your gonna nock this one out of the park!

Hey Jon! Congratulations, that was awesome of Geoflora, I'm happy we are fortunate enough to have amazing sponsors like them here.

I can't wait to see how big your outdoor plants are going to be!

That Chocolope and Raspberry strains sound awesome. I've only ever had one plant give a Raspberry type flavor, and I love it (still got some!)

Your gonna nock this one out of the park!
Thanks Rex! It wouldn't be happening without you my man! THANK YOU!!! I can't wait to see how the nutes perform. If others successes with them are any indication I'm in for a ride.

OK WE ARE FULLY CRYSTALLIZED
The Plan

Where we stand:
Six plants of eight are in the dirt. Waiting on two more seeds to pop. When all of them are up we're on our way. This is roughly what we're doing:

1. Begin all 8 outdoor plants in Gorilla tent where they should remain in their starter containers until either first up potting or flipping the tent to 12/12 for the current grow.
2. Once outdoor begins, the girls will start their day at 7 am in the sunlight, where they will stay all day until 6 pm that evening. This will give them all 11 hours a day of real sun. At 6 pm is when the sun is nowhere near as good as the new @Mars Hydro light. Nor as good as my two blurples together. Even the good folks at MH would tell you they can't beat the actual sun, cuz, well, that's literally impossible and will never exist. Lol. Nobody cares what the blurple guys would say. BUT...we're not messing around with bullsh-- sunlight when we have the FC-E6450. So at 6 pm, after 11 hours of sunlight, the plants will move. The two photos will go under the Mars Hydro light, and the autos will go under the two blurples, both in their respective skeletons. Obviously this will mean dismantling the dedicated auto rig that currently houses the Sour Apple. Therefore, the Sour Apple will be moving outside to finish out it's life. It's going to get the new light all to itself for a while, which will be hilarious. I am considering finishing Chunky out there too so that we can free up and final set the photos in the tent for budding and space. I likely will do that. Then the lights from that auto rig are the second set of lights for the second skeleton. They will be side by side.
3. From 6 pm until 3 am, ie, another 9 hours, the plants, having been rolled by me each evening onto the lennai and into the two frames which are under construction as we speak, will then stay there under the LEDs and live in that space until 7 am the next morning when I move them back out to their outdoor spots. Why 9 hours? Why not 7, to make 18? Good question if you might have wondered, and the answer is 2-part.
a.
This will put the photos on a 20/4 light cycle. I am growing all the autos also on a 20/4 light cycle. The two light stands I'm making must be side by side where you will see them tomorrow, I can't change that. And they are nothing more than bare skeletal frames designed for only one purpose - to hold up the lights. So the plants will all be getting outside environment for the totality of the grow. This is a little different than moving a plant in and out of a tent. I'm sure it's been done, but I haven't seen it here yet. I feel like I'm flying a little blind, but I also know logically there is no reason this plan shouldn't work. I hope if someone sees a glaring flaw I am missing they will kindly point it out to me! Anyway, there is going to be light leak from one skeleton to another unless I create blockages. Well obviously this is not a half-way thing, so yes, I will be adding blockages for the lights around the top of the skeletons, to minimize the amount my neighbors have to see odd light overnight. Lol. (Save the damn you're an idiot for later please, you won't talk me out of doing this, lmao) But just in case I thought it prudent to simply use the same light cycle for both as the photos have no problem in veg at 20/4 and the autos love it too.
b. By having the photos on a 20/4 light cycle in veg, when I am ready to send them to bud, how will I do that? The answer is surprisingly easy. We learned last grow with Sadie that a plant going from 18/6 to the daylight hours of sunlight here, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12/12, or 13/11, or maybe even 14/10 as it was when Sadie grew, is enough that the photos will begin budding once left to their own outside. This is ONLY assuming they were at 18/6 or 20/4 first. I suspect that if they started outside at say 14/10 the would veg normally and bud when they wanted. Sorry girls, that's not in the cards. MAXING you out is in the cards. So I am betting that a switch from 20/4 to the daylight hours of say 13/11 or whatever it is from that point forward is going to be MORE dramatic to the plant than it would be if I used 18/6, and thus "guarantee" (lmao) that it will go to bud as soon as I discontinue the lights at night. Then they finish as true and only outdoor plants.
4. The autos are going to grow in Sohum living soil. They will get MSA weekly until they bud. They will get molasses with almost every watering once they start to show real buds. And the only time the MSA and molasses will be given to them is when there's a few days in a row with no rain. That will happen weekly or even more often, as you'll see. So when I DO augment the rainwater as required, every single time that water will be Ph'ed to 6.3. And we will also be checking the runoff Ph from these guys when it rains enough that there is enough to measure. I want to know what that looks like specifically, just a learning thing. That's it for them. The photos will grow in my Fox Farms soil mixture of 40%Happy Frog/40%Ocean Forest/20% perlite #3, and for the very first time they are going to be treated only with @GeoFlora Nutrients!!!!! I will be highlighting this and will be able to offer several comparison points as I have now used four different soil nute sets in my "career" to compare with. I strongly suspect that the Geoflora is going to blow all of them out of the water. I'd almost bet on it. Unbeknownst to the good folks at Geoflora, part of their return for so kindly sponsoring me is that they are also going to be getting the proper Jon pepper you with questions treatment. I have lots of go to folks here, and I will indeed lean on them too, but I will be actively seeking the horse's mouth on this one as well. Lol......Hi Geo guys!! Thanks again!
5.The plants will all bud out as usual other than I will have no control over when it ends, which I suppose is always the case. However long that takes, they will be finished as per my usual routine once harvested.
6. I am considering several training scenarios. The autos are going to get my version of absolute, balls to the wall, MAX training regimen. Whether they like it or not. The photos are a different story. I don't believe it will be necessary or even necessarily desirable to do to the outdoor photos what I have been doing to the current tent photos. I suspect letting them go a lot more naturally and get BIG is the way to go. They will be in either sevens or tens depending on how much soil I have left at that point. So they will have the potential to get big. And the outside environment, frankly, hate to say it guys and sorry, but it's perfect. A lot of people would kill for it. Lol. Anyway, that's my intention. I have lots of help already on hand to help me with this part, as I am a little unsure of which direction to go, but I suspect we're talking more about spreading larger branches out wide but keeping them as is, rather than a whole lot of horizontal training. I'm still deciding if I will even top them, but if I don't I'm a little concerned they will outgrow the light box, despite that I made it 10 feet tall. We'll see. When I decide for sure you will know.

And that, my friends, is the plan.

OK, tear it apart.
Where am I going wrong? Where am I going right? Anyone? I would really appreciate if anyone has some feedback beyond an atta-boy. (we love those too don't get me wrong, lol) Thanks in advance for any commentary you may provide!!
`

Back
Top Bottom