Jon's New Pared Down Setup Soil Grow: 3 Photo & 1 Auto With New Dedicated Auto Rig

spacing between sentences and paragraphs.

it makes reading and comprehension possible.
I use bold face to accomplish the same thing. You think I should break up paragraphs more often? You are the first to say that but I'm game and always appreciate good criticism.

Fair enough.

White space it is.

Thanks Bluter!

Ok the molasses flush is out. I was doing it cuz I read and adopted some erroneous information from some idiot online when I first started and hadn't gotten around to asking about it/correcting it yet. Thanks for the correction. And the rest is understood and makes my life easier. No my tap Ph is around 7.1-7.4 depending on the day. No problem. Muchas Gracias mi amigo!!
I sincerely hope there are some folks who benefit from our back and forths in the journal. Nothing I like more than getting corrected publicly so my mistakes can save others from the same. Lol. At least you're dead on direct about it. I much prefer that to coddling.

Sorry, @Emilya, my Spanish game is not my French game...I was supposed to feminize that word, right? So basically I spoke hermie Spanish to you?

:laughtwo:
I so needed this laugh today, Happy Friday Jon. Don't worry I barely got it myself. My Spanish stinks. :laugh:

September 18, 2021 - A Very Special Anniversary and a Personal Note
Grow/Veg Day 64
Ghost Train Haze Four Days Post Butchering
All the Girls

Special day for me. Each year on this day I begin the day the same way. Today Molly got to experience it with me for the first time. I get really high on my best weed, get comfortable with a strong cup of joe, and CRANK one song. I listen with everything I've got even though I have done this many times.

On September 18, 1987, I was in Madison Square Garden experiencing one of the single most intense, impressive, and downright almost literally unbelievable experiences of my entire life. A Grateful Dead show, my only one at MSG, and it was a scorcher. Already some of you are saying "oh god..." and rolling your eyes. And some of you I know are old Heads like me, it is impossible that I'm the only one here. Whatever. Check out if you like. The moment happened in the second set, and it was about 12 minutes of sonic and psychic perfection on a level that even someone who hates the Dead would say WOW. No matter who you are the moment was impossible to miss, and for a Deadhead with 150 shows under his belt, it was indescribable. It encapsulates the genius, the personality, the pure being of light that Jerry Garcia was. If you ever wondered what love sounds like, this is it. It means so much to me I am tearing up as I type this, and if you think this is silly I get it. But understand that the Dead meant as much to me and was as important a part of my life as growing is or ever could be, and growing at this point is the world to me. How much? Well, I traded my Ivy League degree after two years in pursuit at Penn to go be with the boys, does that qualify? So since this is my journal and I can do whatever the hell I want within reason, here's a link to something I HIGHLY recommend you listen to. It is 12 minutes long. Get high on your best music listening bud, turn up your system and crank this, and realize as you listen that this man is improving the two solos, not playing scripted music. I give you Morning Dew, September 18, 1987

Here's another mildly personal piece: my mom is flying in today for a while. So I took the now defunct auto rig and repurposed it to make a little surprise for her. She loves low maintenance, pretty little house plants.

Ok, thanks for the indulgence on the personal. Growing pot is all well and good, but we're people first guys and I am not at all averse to people sharing personal pieces of themselves in here if they like. Better if you can connect it to growing a little bit at least, lol.

The girls are beginning to show you why you went through that incredible amount of work. You are seeing the fruits of your labor, and now it's starting to get a lot more obvious. You are still in tucking mode and not taking any leaves, just continuing to constantly keep your new growth exposed to light.

Picture 1 is the Ghost Train Haze, now four days removed from her butchering. Now you can really see that you didn't take to many leaves, they do indeed all grow back, and you can clearly see there will come a point in the not too distant future when you will be taking yet more leaves by necessity. But just look at all those damn buds you made.

Picture 2 is the Slurricane. Same deal.

Picture 3 is the Hulkberry. Again same deal. Last girl to get the treatment, she'll come up in the middle some more.

Picture 4 shows our overall canopy at this point. We will search out something today to raise the GTH just about half an inch, maybe a piece of wood or something. If you are being fanatical about keeping the canopy as flat and even as you can, you will notice in the picture that our GTH is slightly lower than the other two plants. When I see this I correct it as I go for as long as possible. This one is simple.

Picture 5 is the bonus picture of the repurposed auto rig and the little plants I picked out for Mom.

That's it for today guys, thanks so much for hanging in there.

RIP Jerry Garcia. I know Hendrix and a lot of other guys are up there, but in that band they are all your rhythm guitar players. Miss you man.

Ghost Train Haze September 18.jpg

Slurricane September 18.jpg

Hulkberry September 18.jpg

Here's the canopy September 18.jpg

Surprise for Mom.jpg

September 18, 2021 - A Very Special Anniversary and a Personal Note
Grow/Veg Day 64
Ghost Train Haze Four Days Post Butchering
All the Girls

Special day for me. Each year on this day I begin the day the same way. Today Molly got to experience it with me for the first time. I get really high on my best weed, get comfortable with a strong cup of joe, and CRANK one song. I listen with everything I've got even though I have done this many times.

On September 18, 1987, I was in Madison Square Garden experiencing one of the single most intense, impressive, and downright almost literally unbelievable experiences of my entire life. A Grateful Dead show, my only one at MSG, and it was a scorcher. Already some of you are saying "oh god..." and rolling your eyes. And some of you I know are old Heads like me, it is impossible that I'm the only one here. Whatever. Check out if you like. The moment happened in the second set, and it was about 12 minutes of sonic and psychic perfection on a level that even someone who hates the Dead would say WOW. No matter who you are the moment was impossible to miss, and for a Deadhead with 150 shows under his belt, it was indescribable. It encapsulates the genius, the personality, the pure being of light that Jerry Garcia was. If you ever wondered what love sounds like, this is it. It means so much to me I am tearing up as I type this, and if you think this is silly I get it. But understand that the Dead meant as much to me and was as important a part of my life as growing is or ever could be, and growing at this point is the world to me. How much? Well, I traded my Ivy League degree after two years in pursuit at Penn to go be with the boys, does that qualify? So since this is my journal and I can do whatever the hell I want within reason, here's a link to something I HIGHLY recommend you listen to. It is 12 minutes long. Get high on your best music listening bud, turn up your system and crank this, and realize as you listen that this man is improving the two solos, not playing scripted music. I give you Morning Dew, September 18, 1987:

Here's another mildly personal piece: my mom is flying in today for a while. So I took the now defunct auto rig and repurposed it to make a little surprise for her. She loves low maintenance, pretty little house plants.

Ok, thanks for the indulgence on the personal. Growing pot is all well and good, but we're people first guys and I am not at all averse to people sharing personal pieces of themselves in here if they like. Better if you can connect it to growing a little bit at least, lol.

The girls are beginning to show you why you went through that incredible amount of work. You are seeing the fruits of your labor, and now it's starting to get a lot more obvious. You are still in tucking mode and not taking any leaves, just continuing to constantly keep your new growth exposed to light.

Picture 1 is the Ghost Train Haze, now four days removed from her butchering. Now you can really see that you didn't take to many leaves, they do indeed all grow back, and you can clearly see there will come a point in the not too distant future when you will be taking yet more leaves by necessity. But just look at all those damn buds you made.

Picture 2 is the Slurricane. Same deal.

Picture 3 is the Hulkberry. Again same deal. Last girl to get the treatment, she'll come up in the middle some more.

Picture 4 shows our overall canopy at this point. We will search out something today to raise the GTH just about half an inch, maybe a piece of wood or something. If you are being fanatical about keeping the canopy as flat and even as you can, you will notice in the picture that our GTH is slightly lower than the other two plants. When I see this I correct it as I go for as long as possible. This one is simple.

Picture 5 is the bonus picture of the repurposed auto rig and the little plants I picked out for Mom.

That's it for today guys, thanks so much for hanging in there.

RIP Jerry Garcia. I know Hendrix and a lot of other guys are up there, but in that band they are all your rhythm guitar players. Miss you man.

Ghost Train Haze September 18.jpg

Slurricane September 18.jpg

Hulkberry September 18.jpg

Here's the canopy September 18.jpg

Surprise for Mom.jpg
Thank you Jon. I tried to listen, but even as loud as my computer will go, I could not hear a note. I did have it up so loud though that Ms. J. came rushing in to see what all the noise was about, and she sat with me to watch. She reports that it was wonderful, and wishes to thank you for sharing this great moment.

Thank you Jon. I tried to listen, but even as loud as my computer will go, I could not hear a note. I did have it up so loud though that Ms. J. came rushing in to see what all the noise was about, and she sat with me to watch. She reports that it was wonderful, and wishes to thank you for sharing this great moment.
Em I sent you a personal note about this in anticipation of a potential response like this. I dig you a lot kid. Glad your Ms. J enjoyed it.

Sour Apple and Chunky Bud Tops Comparison
Tweaks to the Rig - Insect Response Team In Action
Day 65

I learned a lot about observing your buds at various stages of growth and deriving information from it in reading @Emilya's current journal where she takes a fairly deep dive into it. So based on this, now I look at the buds on the two autos, both the same age, and I see a big difference in where they are. The Sour Apple has begun to change from fluffy big roundish balls of white hairs exploding in all directions into it's final bud formation and shapes. You can see that the tops are much closer to taking on that classic conical top shape, and some of the side buds are beginning to show the sativa in this girl with their classic sativa turns and twists. Pretty soon they will start looking like real buds that are starting their final fattening up. I haven't had this strain go beyond 80 days yet, but this one looks like she might go another 16 days and break through 80.

The Chunky buds, on the other hand, are still in white hair mode, and still in process of growing together. All the tops are still round. They are obviously growing and joining up. Now it's starting to look like this girl really is going to be a large yielder, obviously I'm hoping. You can even see the very first specks of frost slowly creeping in in a few spots. I did a defol of useless and dying leaves yesterday so she's nice and opened up.

I also tweaked the rig with the addition of four fans at strategic spots. Not so much for temperature or humidity control as for moving air through the buds, and also for insect control. I have found now that my only insect concern is flying insects, and only at night, and only the ones that don't first go for the @Mars Hydro, which if I were a bug, I would too. Lol. They don't seem to be bugs that eat the plants. But there are these tiny caddis fly type things that get stuck each night in the trichome blankets on the leaves. I pick them off each morning. It sucks, they're gross. So last night I put my large fan on the Sour Apple to see if the moving air might help keep them off the leaves, and sure enough it worked great. There were only bugs on the far side from the fan, and only a few. So I set it up so both plants have two fans each covering the upper and lower parts of each. There's a pic to show the fans and the light and how sweet that Mars Hydro looks in a 5x5 space. Note that the taller fan behind the Sour Apple is a small oscillating fan which sweeps sweetly across the upper buds of the Chunkadelic.

Picture 1: Sour Apple bud tops
Picture 2: Chunkadelic bud tops
Picture 3: Rig shot showing fan placement and the Mars Hydro FC-E6500

Enjoy your Saturday guys.

Sour Apple bud tops.jpg

Chunky bud tops.jpg

Fans and Mars Hydro picture.jpg

There was a time in my career when I wanted to be an economics professor and after finding myself good at teaching as an associate professor while I was working on my Doctorate, I really thought that I would end up staying in academia to pursue that goal. One of my favorite things was to see a student suddenly get that look of understanding on their face after hearing my special way of explaining a subject, sit up a little taller and start nodding along with my every word for the rest of the semester. The professors refer to that as the moment the light goes on.
You sir, have one of those lights that constantly stays on and is one who has been nodding along with my explanations from day one. You are one of those that I have already identified as one of my A students, and who can be counted on to always ask the most illuminating questions. Keep doing what you are doing and before you know it, you are going to be very good at this growing thing... I can tell. :love:

There was a time in my career when I wanted to be an economics professor and after finding myself good at teaching as an associate professor while I was working on my Doctorate, I really thought that I would end up staying in academia to pursue that goal. One of my favorite things was to see a student suddenly get that look of understanding on their face after hearing my special way of explaining a subject, sit up a little taller and start nodding along with my every word for the rest of the semester. The professors refer to that as the moment the light goes on.
You sir, have one of those lights that constantly stays on and is one who has been nodding along with my explanations from day one. You are one of those that I have already identified as one of my A students, and who can be counted on to always ask the most illuminating questions. Keep doing what you are doing and before you know it, you are going to be very good at this growing thing... I can tell. :love:
Damn @Emilya, I have never had a post make me blush so much. Thank you so much, that means a lot to me, more than I could tell you. I remember all my best and favorite teachers, and coaches, from school growing up as well as from college, and you have already taken residence in that list for me. Sweet, kind words of encouragement are most appreciated, thanks again.

Don't make me use the sapio word young lady.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Little Help Please Guys?
Flushing/Soil Question
@Emilya @Tokin Roll @Grand Daddy Black @Bill284 @Rexer @Virgin Ground @bluter @Farthestnorth @Furcifer @charliewaffles @Michael Hunt and anyone else I forgot! THANKS.

So Monday, or Tuesday if they aren't quite dry, is the pre-flip flush for the three trained out photos in the tent. The GTH and Hulkberry are both in Fox Farms soil and getting Fox Farms nutes, so that's a no brainer, they must get flushed and it's prescribed on the FF feeding chart anyway. But the Slurricane is in Sohum soil. All she's gotten the entire time is the mono-silicic acid once a week, other than that nothing but clean 6.3 water. I maybe gave her one dose of CalMag about two weeks ago. That's it for her. So why do I need to flush her? If flushing is done to clear out your salt buildup, and you haven't provided the plant any nutes, then there shouldn't be any salts to clear, correct?

If any of y'all or anyone else who knows what they're talking about has the answer to the above I would be most appreciative for your input. Thanks!

Little Help Please Guys?
Flushing/Soil Question
@Emilya @Tokin Roll @Grand Daddy Black @Bill284 @Rexer @Virgin Ground @bluter @Farthestnorth @Furcifer @charliewaffles @Michael Hunt and anyone else I forgot! THANKS.

So Monday, or Tuesday if they aren't quite dry, is the pre-flip flush for the three trained out photos in the tent. The GTH and Hulkberry are both in Fox Farms soil and getting Fox Farms nutes, so that's a no brainer, they must get flushed and it's prescribed on the FF feeding chart anyway. But the Slurricane is in Sohum soil. All she's gotten the entire time is the mono-silicic acid once a week, other than that nothing but clean 6.3 water. I maybe gave her one dose of CalMag about two weeks ago. That's it for her. So why do I need to flush her? If flushing is done to clear out your salt buildup, and you haven't provided the plant any nutes, then there shouldn't be any salts to clear, correct?

If any of y'all or anyone else who knows what they're talking about has the answer to the above I would be most appreciative for your input. Thanks!
Hey Jon hope your having a great day.
I don't use soil so I don't flush usually.
Your theory on the Sohum soil seems logical.
No build up therefore no need to flush?
Best to here from someone who actually uses it to chime in though.
Stay safe Amigo.
Bill

So why do I need to flush her? If flushing is done to clear out your salt buildup, and you haven't provided the plant any nutes, then there shouldn't be any salts to clear, correct?
IMHO, you don't need to flush any plant you aren't giving nutrients to. I'm growing in LOS and apart from some CalMag recently, they have just gotten plain water, what exactly is there to flush? Check out the no flush clubs in @InTheShed signature.

So why do I need to flush her?
Flushing forces cannabis to use up any remaining nutrients left in the plant, none should remain to effect the taste or smoke of the buds.
However, if done to early, it can leave your plant unhealthy, so timing is key.

I would not advise flushing if you still have not feed her yet, mainly because you will strip the nutrients out of the soil.

When you decided to flush, make sure you ph the water to about 6.5 for soil.

I am currently growing DWC, but I flush my bucket every other solution change and it definitely increase the growth rate, by stripping all the old nutrients away from the roots. Here is an image of 4-1 gallons jugs. The two dark ones are the solution change, and the two lighter one is what I get with a 2 gallon flush for 30 minutes of so.

Three Blue Kings 9-17.jpg

Hope this helps.

I know DWC and soil are not the same, but it was the best current example I have.

Little Help Please Guys?
Flushing/Soil Question

Your logic makes complete sense to me. I flush to get the nutrients/chemicals out but if there hasn’t been any added I don’t see the need to. I wouldn’t but hey, I’m only on my 4th successful grow and I am still really green….

IMHO, you don't need to flush any plant you aren't giving nutrients to. I'm growing in LOS and apart from some CalMag recently, they have just gotten plain water, what exactly is there to flush? Check out the no flush clubs in @InTheShed signature.
Why thank you sir, and sorry, forgot to tag you, I would have. Appreciate it and that's exactly what I thought. The logic is solid I knew that, but there are so many counter-intuitive things about growing I just wanted to make sure. I thought there was a small chance someone would tell me that a certain amount of salts build up just in the act of the plant growing or something unforseen like that. Right on omj. Thanks.

Flushing forces cannabis to use up any remaining nutrients left in the plant, none should remain to effect the taste or smoke of the buds.
However, if done to early, it can leave your plant unhealthy, so timing is key.

I would not advise flushing if you still have not feed her yet, mainly because you will strip the nutrients out of the soil.

When you decided to flush, make sure you ph the water to about 6.5 for soil.

I am currently growing DWC, but I flush my bucket every other solution change and it definitely increase the growth rate, by stripping all the old nutrients away from the roots. Here is an image of 4-1 gallons jugs. The two dark ones are the solution change, and the two lighter one is what I get with a 2 gallon flush for 30 minutes of so.

Three Blue Kings 9-17.jpg

Hope this helps.

I know DWC and soil are not the same, but it was the best current example I have.
Nope, it does, cuz it confirms the equation I already had confirmed and what I figured. No nutes = no salts = no flush = therefore keeping the soil nutrients intact.

That's exactly what you're saying, right?

THANKS!!

Your logic makes complete sense to me. I flush to get the nutrients/chemicals out but if there hasn’t been any added I don’t see the need to. I wouldn’t but hey, I’m only on my 4th successful grow and I am still really green….
Thanks CW, and so am I, my outdoor grow that's just starting is my fourth, this is my third. We're on the same experience field buddy, so please never hesitate to provide input. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom