Jon's Outdoor Winter Photoperiod Grow

Mac and Jack is so frosty there's barely any room for more frost! :drool:

What are you using for the leaf miners? Mine don't go for the cannabis but they love my lemon trees.
I was actually going to ask if anyone had a suggestion. What do you use, your iso mix?

I was actually going to ask if anyone had a suggestion. What do you use, your iso mix?
Nothing actually. Most of the stuff that really works is systemic and I don't use those on any of my plants (garden or canna). I've read that neem, BT, and spinosad can help though.

I'm sure that SNS has something topical that might help as well but searching their site for "miner" doesn't turn anything up.

Nothing actually. Most of the stuff that really works is systemic and I don't use those on any of my plants (garden or canna). I've read that neem, BT, and spinosad can help though.

I'm sure that SNS has something topical that might help as well but searching their site for "miner" doesn't turn anything up.
Thanks Shed. I got as far as the SNS info (I think I have every damn kind of packet they produce, lol) and that they don’t specifically address those critters. And I couldn’t agree more about systemic fixes. I’m only losing maybe one finger or two per day off a leaf or two, and I catch them all long before they pop (god I hate when the bug gets big but hasn’t come out yet, it’s disgusting). It’s not an infestation or anything. Just annoying. It’s at least kind of interesting that with leaf miners you can really see which strains they like better and which they don’t since their damage is so hard to miss. So far they don’t seem to like the Tropicanna Banana so much, preferring the Mandarin Zkittlez. Lol. How much do they like your sweet lemon tree leaves?

Platinum Mimosa Cookies XXL Auto
Pot Prep

Our girl is about ready to leave her Solo starter cup and move into her final digs. I’m going to do a 5-gallon bucket reservoir and attempt to bring it home the same way I did the Watermelon WeddingCake in the large tote last time.

Below I show the construction of the modified air pot which will be her home. From here I simply cut the right size hole in the lid of a bucket, insert pot, fill bucket, and off we go. I’m going to cut the bucket lid hole tight. That way I can lower the air pot into the bucket and bring it up notch by notch (outside of air pot notches). This is the poor man’s version of the graduated buckets thing that others are using now. It gives me about 10” of lift before the air pot is at the top of the bucket, so at least it will save me that much in nutes. There will be two small air stones, one on each side, with small pumps. Tomorrow I’ll show the contents of the pot prep.

Here’s tonight’s McGuyver work.

C38DD8BD-67C1-4D36-AFFA-18EADB6C98AF.jpeg

9D498E85-A2BA-4805-AB4B-D897FEE5DCE6.jpeg

E5EDDEFE-AACA-4A3F-A76F-4048AF05A21A.jpeg

A291EF73-778B-4E03-8520-107773B748E8.jpeg

Up Potting 101

Ok, here’s once again the step by step up potting display in case anyone needs it.

1. 3” perlite on the bottom

2. Coco on top of that.

3. Then a layer of bokashi and frass.

4. Repeat to desired depth, place original pot inside to make sure height is correct.

5. Bokashi and frass layer for the sides.

6. Activate pot by soaking with PB veg week 3 base mix plus Fox Farms Microbe Brew.

7. Now that it’s all wet the hole will hold it’s shape.

8. Remove plant from Solo cup. This girl is getting up potted early by design - I waited just long enough that I knew the root ball would hold together.

9. Drop in hole dusted with mycorrhizae and top off with coco.

10. Wet entire medium again and put in tent!

It’s very easy and pretty much foolproof if you do it correctly. Now we wait until the roots make it down to the bottom and at that point we bring the reservoir into play. She should hit the reservoir around the same time she begins to transition to flower.

Let’s see what she’s got!

Up Potting 101

Ok, here’s once again the step by step up potting display in case anyone needs it.

2. Coco on top of that.

4. Repeat to desired depth, place original pot inside to make sure height is correct.

6. Activate pot by soaking with PB veg week 3 base mix plus Fox Farms Microbe Brew.

8. Remove plant from Solo cup. This girl is getting up potted early by design - I waited just long enough that I knew the root ball would hold together.

It’s very easy and pretty much foolproof if you do it correctly. Now we wait until the roots make it down to the bottom and at that point we bring the reservoir into play. She should hit the reservoir around the same time she begins to transition to flower.

Did you put DYNOMYCO on the roots.
Great job Amigo. :thumb:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Did you put DYNOMYCO on the roots.
Great job Amigo. :thumb:

Hi @Bill284 - no I didn’t, sorry to DYNOMYCO but I’m using up the Great White I have first before busting into that. But yes, the entire root ball was dusted with mycorrhizae.

I forget sometimes that it’s winter in the rest of the US. Lmao. I sent my drummer in PA some pictures of the outdoor girls and he told to F myself and my perfect weather.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi @Bill284 - no I didn’t, sorry to DYNOMYCO but I’m using up the Great White I have first before busting into that. But yes, the entire root ball was dusted with mycorrhizae.
As long as you take the opportunity when you have it.
Nice pot too. :thumb:
Take care my friend.

As long as you take the opportunity when you have it.
Nice pot too. :thumb:
Take care my friend.

Yep. Once again you are right, @Bill284. I mean Sensei. Air Pots rock, and they are very easily manipulated in terms of changing their volume. Mine is a 5-gallon Air Pot but for this I have it curled up into appropriately a 2-gallon pot. I lost the blue connector thingies like a dummy but it’s super easy to weave it together as I showed. And even that was overkill, it certainly will stay together without it. They are a very flexible pot in terms of usage potential and of course they work as advertised in terms of getting air to your roots and all that good stuff. You can even easily cut them down so they aren’t as tall if you want to. Fascinating product. :adore: Thanks Sensei.

Also, did you see how nice and tight I was able to get the bottom plate in there? It fit nice and snug between the incroppings. Super sweet.

Tropicanna Banana
Flower Day 4

This girl is a stretchy beast. Only four days of 12/12 (really 3, today is 4), and you can see in the first picture what she’s done so far. The stretch began at the lower bend where the light colored leaf is. That’s pretty aggressive for the first four days. Often what I see is that it takes the plants a day or two or three sometimes of 12/12 before they’re convinced it’s going to stick (lol), then they begin to stretch. This plant started going off the first day.

Plants are gorgeous when they’re shooting out the lighter colored new growth you see during the stretch. It’s one of their most photogenic periods imho.

The last picture shows you why nobody would DARE mess with my plants. Heh.

0307687A-3269-46C1-9608-CC359CF122E8.jpeg

CD31F12E-EC7B-4F6A-BE2A-06A4279DABBF.jpeg

42BA0108-D2F0-4F59-8BFB-EA06A0611CDE.jpeg

Up Potting 101

2. Coco on top of that.

Btw - I forgot to mention that today is Day 10. It only took 10 days to establish enough roots to hold the root ball together as in the picture. Pretty fast.

Mandarin Zkittlez
Flower Day 26
Extra Support

I see weight is going to happen up here. These towers ended up way higher than the support pole. Wow. They’re like 14” long of just cola! So my previously high enough support measures needed some support. Lol. There’s also a lower branch picture. Nice and healthy outdoor plant so far. I’ve become quite convinced that one of the keys to maxing the potential of any genetic is raising it start to finish with no issues. If you never have to change something up because of an overload or deficiency and your plant is way healthy start to finish - that’s more than half the battle. I’ve been pretty lucky lately in that regard. My plants tend to rarely have issues.

A6413F28-7656-4E25-B34B-1B5D15F97D1D.jpeg

0D3F31BC-F75A-4CCA-920B-5125D7BF70E1.jpeg

D710FFE1-AE25-45D8-A14D-BE100499A980.jpeg

Up Potting Autos

Please do. It’s always a good idea. This is about 3 hours after this morning’s up potting was completed. Does it look like the up potting slowed her down? Heh.

A0A1E647-375D-490A-969B-386861EB848B.jpeg

I'm in LA and even I'm jealous of your weather!

They love all my citrus trees. Luckily most of them have leaves to spare. Only my baby lime clone is looking a bit challenged.
I don’t know if you ever partake in tequila but I betcha it’s better with your limes than it is with common gutter store bought limes!

Taking Stock

I need to do this from time to time just to keep myself straight. So what we have is…

Mac and Jack - flower day 36
Mandarin Zkittlez - flower day 26
Tropicanna Banana - flower day 4
Crescendo - still in veg
Platinum Mimosa Cookies Auto - day 10
Arjan’s Strawberry Haze - paper towel

Thanks for tuning in!

Ah! Maybe it was Tok? I thought it was the balcony grow. Sorry. But yeah, I guess the one dude got malaria and passed but they’re all complete maniacs. How do you even develop the contacts they have? How do you get to where you know where to begin in fricking Malawi? It’s a cool series and I’m popping the Strawberry Haze, my first try with Green House Seeds (Arjan’s company).
That would be @Stunger's grow your thinking of.

Back
Top Bottom