Jozo-sha's Getting Grounded - Air Pots, Dirt and OC+

Jozo-sha

Greets to all - :welcome: - make yourselves at home as I begin my 6th attempt at growing our beloved plant. As you might know, I ventured into hempy, OC+ and coco last time, and didn't have a very good go of it. In fact, there is only one plant of the many I had, a female OG Kush x Dutch Ultimate cross; she's hanging in there in a hydrofarm with a mild GH FloraNova grow solution (I'll probably just yank her too...fresh starts, right?). No blame, and as a friend put it to me eariler, "Don't consider it time wasted, consider it lessons learned.." - so I am. Let's move on.

I just bought myself a new 3 gallon bubble bucket and netpot lid, since I know DWC, and since I know the hydrofarm works well, those units will probably be used for some cuts I'm picking up this week, Hammerhead (White Rhino x Medicine Man) and A-Train (Mazar I Sharif and the clone-only Arcata e-32 Trainwreck) - but those are another item not germane to this journal :smokin:

A medical grower pal of mine, after hearing of my misfortunes, suggested going back to what brought me here, DWC, or letting me be mentored by him in the ways of dirt. He's got over 25 years of experience and was laughing at my stubbornness and at how many of his cuts I've managed to kill off! That in mind, I picked up a 1.5 cu. ft bag of FoxFarm Ocean Forest (yeah, you guys know the stuff), and 3 x 3 gallon Smart Pots. DocBud offered that I'd have good results with OC+, and that coco was my enemy last go-round, so I'm almost positive I'm going with the following:

• Above mentioned FFOF/Smart Pot/OC+ combo
  • 1 x 395W (Old 2011) GLH LED Unit
  • R/O water treated with 5ml/gal. Botanicare Cal-Mag Plus
  • DocBud's "Monsoon" Watering Technique
  • Seeds soaked then germinated in rapid rooter plugs
  • Prep FFOF with 2 tbsp. OC+/gallon media
  • Seedlings vegged under 24/0 until fully rooted
  • Transplant seedlings into Smart Pots and flip 12/12
Any feedback on that plan would be welcome for sure. Seems the more I think I know, the more I know that I really don't know much at all! :goof:

As far as seed stock, I have several femmed seeds to choose from - C99, Diesel, Bubblegummer and Sweet Deep Grapefruit, I think - I've not made up my mind just yet, but I'm leaning towards the SDG, Bubblegummer and C99 at this point. My thinking is that should this experimental foray into the dirt work out well, I could fit quite a few Smart Pots into my grow tent, so I could sex out some of the regular strains of seeds I have then!

Anyhow, I am going to start looking for an R/O unit, get my tent cleaned out and sanitized, and get the ball rolling on this new adventure - I'm hoping to "break ground" by early next week.

:peacetwo:

High all!

I went shopping at HTGSupply today at my local retail branch (you can't believe how thrilled I was to not have to mail order!) and pick up a few items:

I saw a demo of FFOF v. RO's Greenfields (1/3 FFOF, 1/3 RO, 1/3 with both), the Roots Organic babies had deep green waxy leaves, but the FFOF seedlings were more robust overall. The seedlings with the 50/50 mix of the two seems to hit a happy medium.

I opted for the Roots soil because I'd like to experiment with it solo, and the Greenfields didn't have as much out the gate nutrient. I'll be hooking up my RO/DI unit, and mixing up some soil with OC+ and see what transpires. I think I'll put the other LED back up, so I have all 790W of GLH lighting helping the new babies grow.

Should have some pictures after this coming weekend.

Hello All,

Well, after reading Bandit420's grow with AirPots, I took the plunge on those too! Ordered 3 each of 1 gallon, 10 liter and 3 gallon -- this will be fun to compare pots, soils and OC+!

:party:

Will be getting the RO/DI unit installed on Sunday, so I should be ready to start with some photos soon.

:peace:

Alright Zombo, logged in for this one! Sounds like it should be a little better this go round, bro! Holy crap, I'm first?! And I'm doing this in the middle of a thinderstorm too!!

Hello Zombo, I just began my first grow ever. I have a Spectra 180W setup with 4 2gallon smartpots. I put 6 cups of vermiculite on the bottom with a layer of OC+ on top of that followed by 13 cups of FFOF. There's OC+ top dressed and some more about 2inches below that. It's just some regi bagseed that sprouted 5/1 under 24 hrs of cheap fluoros and put into their new homes about 4 days later. I'm doing 12/12 also, but haven't been acknowledging the ambient light since my stealth setup gets up past 90 F with the door shut, so I just crack it. My room gets pretty dark when the Spectra turns off, guess we'll see. So far so good, I'm hoping for similar results like SpeeCees and DocBud. I have my light hanging high above in my 5 foot tall cab, no stretching. Temps range 78-86 depending on the time of day and if I direct my AC vents into that room.

I'll be riding along, I have some back reading to catch up on your grows. Good luck brother!

Alright Zombo, logged in for this one! Sounds like it should be a little better this go round, bro! Holy crap, I'm first?! And I'm doing this in the middle of a thinderstorm too!!
'Sup phil? Thanks for coming by! :high-five: Yeah, I got a way better feeling about dirt. Check out the pics below!
Me to logged in for this one dude, When you told me you used LED's i went out and got myself some to, wish i could bought that panel from you =[
Heya, highteck :welcome: The dudes that ended up with the panels are quite happy with them. I'm just finally glad I switched to a medium that will finally allow me concentrate on other things besides just keeping babies barely alive. Hoping that even though my LED's are First Gen. 2011, they'll still produce fat buds!
Hello Zombo, I just began my first grow ever. I have a Spectra 180W setup with 4 2gallon smartpots. I put 6 cups of vermiculite on the bottom with a layer of OC+ on top of that followed by 13 cups of FFOF. There's OC+ top dressed and some more about 2inches below that. It's just some regi bagseed that sprouted 5/1 under 24 hrs of cheap fluoros and put into their new homes about 4 days later. I'm doing 12/12 also, but haven't been acknowledging the ambient light since my stealth setup gets up past 90 F with the door shut, so I just crack it. My room gets pretty dark when the Spectra turns off, guess we'll see. So far so good, I'm hoping for similar results like SpeeCees and DocBud. I have my light hanging high above in my 5 foot tall cab, no stretching. Temps range 78-86 depending on the time of day and if I direct my AC vents into that room.

I'll be riding along, I have some back reading to catch up on your grows. Good luck brother!

Sounds like a great set up, Stinkmeaner :goodluck: - I'm gonna outline what's happening just below, and post up some pics of what's what in the tent at the moment, thanks for coming by, and I'm sure your grow will come out great! Got a journal started?:morenutes:

Anyhow, I'm into day 3 of collecting RO/DI water for this grow, I scored this unit as I said earlier, over at HTG Supply, really nice and knowledgeable folks! This unit puts out about 50 gpd, perfect for my needs:
Dirt_Grows_-_34.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_35.jpg

Then the current babies:

OG Kush x Dutch Ultimate - this poor girl has been through the damned wringer. I couldn't bear to put her down, so she's in the 3 gallon Gro Pot with 50/50 FFOF/Roots and OC+. I'm hoping to grow her out enough, healthwise, to get some decent cuts and re-mothering...time will tell:

Dirt_Grows_-_37.jpg

I was having a hell of a time with popping seeds and getting shit healthy, so my pal popped 5 A-Train beans for me and passed along cuts. Two of them are already rooted and in the 4" pots - the other two are cuts of Barney's Farm Ell Ess Dee. The tiny one in the middle is a bean of bagseed that seems to LOVE the Roots Organic!

Dirt_Grows_-_38.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_45.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_44.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_43.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_42.jpg

In the cloning tray are fresh cuts from A-Train beans number 3, 4 and 5 -- also a pair of Chocolope cuts - as soon as they root, they're going into 50/50 FFOF/Roots as well. In the very front of the tray are 3 plugs, each one with a single Deep Sweet Grapefruit been inside. the 3 wider 3 gallon Smart Pots will get them for a quick and dirty experiment.

Dirt_Grows_-_40.jpg

Here's an overall shot:

Dirt_Grows_-_36.jpg

Note that these are all under LED, but I've heavily white balanced to make things look somewhat more normal :)

i need to post 50 bloody posts lol to even msg you on your little board
such is life i guess, hey are those panels by sunshine systems?

Nah, those are from a company I cannot name here - they're nice unit, I will say that -- my previous failures were no fault of the lights.

Going to take pics now, I was out of town over the weekend....let's see what I found upon arriving back home!

Wow That white balance really evens things out!
Thanks! Still figuring out the nuances of shooting under intense LED lighting. I did so with micro-reef aquarium LEDs, but those were 10K/14K blues and blended 5500K's....:Namaste:

Anyhow, in 3 words:

I Love Soil !

The babies look fantastic -- everyone got a good drink, and man, oh, man, am I thrilled!

So, last week, my little bagseedling looked like this:

Dirt_Grows_-_41.jpg

I came home to this:

Dirt_Grows_-_79.jpg

Just a wee bit of growth over 3-4 days, eh?

Time for the whole shebang -- and just to show the comparison of white-balanced shots versus straight uncorrected shots (I did fiddle with the aperture a bit to tone the intensity down somewhat) - here's a top view of the tent's floor area:

Dirt_Grows_-_74.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_73.jpg

Pretty f'ing bright! I'll stick with white corrected shots mostly, I just think they look better -- everyone knows the LED units are purply-pink anyhow, no matter what brand/mix :)

In order from top to bottom:

• Bagseed - unknown sex
  • OG Kush x Dutch Ultimate cut
  • Chocolope cut #1 (I know she looks like hell, but just barely put in the soil and watered - give her a few days!)
  • Sweet Deep Grapefruit, femmed baby
  • A-Train cut #3
  • A-Train cut #1
  • A-Train cut #2
  • Ell Ess Dee cut #1
  • Ell Ess Dee cut #2
Dirt_Grows_-_79.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_80.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_81.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_82.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_83.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_84.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_85.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_86.jpg
Dirt_Grows_-_87.jpg

I'd say all in all, not doing too bad. Have 5 more A-Train cuts and one more Chocolope cut to root up (they're close) and still waiting for my Air Pots. I may just have to go get more Gro Pots from HTG -- Gotta get this shit all vegged out so I can take nice fresh healthy cuts for my moms, then strat flowering!:morenutes:
Enjoy the pics and...

Remember our US Veterans today -- thank you to those of you that have served, are serving and will serve our country.:Namaste: :peace:

Sup Zombo, nice chatting with ya today. Hope we can work together sometime.

P.s. were toats friends on fb now! lol!

Yeah,

They just look a bit yellow because they've been in rapid rooters with no nutes at all -- now that they're starting to be transplanted into soil, they'll perk up lots.

I'm not worried in the least about them - DocBud swears by soil with OC+, so I'm confident this time around!

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom