Just curious about what my pH should be

lexort420

Well i been wondering because I can't find anything definitive on this but i grow in soil less mix that is primarily made up of peat moss with a little bit of vermiculite coir pith and i add perlite to it o ya it has dolomite lime in it. I ph my water to about 4.8 and my runoff comes out to 6.2 now ive read that for soil 6.0 to 6.5 is the typically range and for hydro if i recall correctly you would want 5.6 or 5.8 to like 6.2. Now since its not hydro nor coco nor soil so what should I be aiming for? Is 6.2 good for what im growing in should it be lower? Any help would be awesome it's not like I am experiencing any deficiencys yet but I would like to know before I do get them.

That's what I thought too but i wasn't sure cause I am not growing in coco but it seems to be the same to me

So 6.2 is a bit high then? Damn dolomite lime makes it hard to get to 5.8 lol like i said water reads at 4.8 going in and comes out 6.2

If you are growing in soil, don't worry about the PH of the nutrients or water.

At some point in the grow you are going to need to supplement magnesium. while you are supplementing magnesium add calcium carbonate(limestone), soft rock phosphate, and calcium sulfate(gypsum).

Well I am growing in a soil less mix as i said initially in my opening post however if I ever switch to soil i will use your advice.

Just expect the need to supplement magnesium at some point in the grow, regardless of whether or not your chosen grow medium is soil or soil-less. While you are supplementing magnesium it would be best to also supplement calcium. When there is a magnesium deficiency there is also not enough calcium.

Calcium is heavily used in the development of the plant throughout the entire grow. The dolomite lime in the grow medium won't provide enough calcium for the entire grow.

Regarding your question about PH 6.5-6.9 is optimal for cannabis.

Well the nutes im using have both cal and mag so i guess I am already supplementing it lol. Is that ph range you gave acceptable for soil less? That seems to be the range that is best for soil but what I am growing is more similar to coco then anything else so i wasn't sure if I should shoot for that or a soil ph range.

Google is your friend when you have questions.

Since you are growing in Coco/sphagnum peat moss... 420Magazine Coco Subforum

Ya i used Google no luck everyone talks about coco AND IM NOT GROWING IN COCO NOT ENOUGH FOR IT TO EVEN COUNT IF YOU READ MY POST INSTEAD OF SKIMMING THROUGH YOU WOULD KNOW THAT. IM NOT THAT MUCH OF A NEWB SO SHOW ME A LITTLE RESPECT OR SEE YOUR WAY OUT OF MY POST. I relize ppl get on here and ask questions with easily obtainable answers but i always look before wasting ppls precious time thanks for nothing. Glad to see your just trying to get your post count up instead of actually helping.

I grow in sunshine mix. For soilless, use hydro ph.
5.8-6.2. Same as coco.
If you use the soil ph range your plants will have issues especially during flowering.

There we go! Thank you so much weaselcracker i have heard of sunshine mix and know it has peat moss in it so I know it is similar to what I am using. If i could hit the like button 5,000 times on your post i would you totally understood what I was getting at. And I can tell you actually read my post so thank you for that as well. If i was to take Goldeneagle's advice he would have me running ph 6.5 to 6.9 and thats soil range. I wanted to ensure that peat moss based soil less mix didn't need a different ph range than coco.

Hey, no problem. The answer to your question is, surprisingly, not as apparent as it should be- on google or anywhere else. At least it wasn't for me. I went a long time using soil ph before someone tipped me off. An experienced grower who did a grow with me said we should use ph 6.5-7. I never found out otherwise till way later. A lot of people, myself included, make the mistake of calling peat moss 'soil' and ph accordingly, when actually it's a form of hydroponics.
My plants did ok in veg. Veg is always the easy part :) But by the second half of flowering the leaves would be pretty trashed looking, and any other existing issues seemed to get compounded because basically the plants were struggling by then.

EDIT- in my limited experience with trying to shift the ph of the medium itself - I would say - don't bother unless it's way far off. If runoff is 6.2, that sounds perfect. Just keep whatever you pour in there at 5.8-6.2 and you should be fine.

You are exactly right i couldn't get a straight answer from Google on ph range for peat moss thus why I just had to ask. I was getting no where on Google it almost seemed as though no info for peat moss ph existed. Thank you again it's soooo appreciated it also explains why my leaves look pretty rough later on in flowering.

Back
Top Bottom