K.I.S.S. my Buckets

Here is what we been waiting for....

The controller bucket. There are 6 feeds for 6 buckets with shut off valve.

20121214_190332_600x800_.jpg

On the opposite side is a drain/overflow combo.

20121214_190350_600x800_.jpg

Inside

20121214_190404_600x800_.jpg

The next step would be to install a pump to feed circulation to each bucket.

I am contemplating that as I type... :scratchinghead:

I installed individual return lines for each bucket so I can get maximum return volume with the 1/2" hose to the control bucket. I am thinking it may be a potential increase in heat exposure but I can cover them if needed.

Another idea that just came to me, is to change my drain config to another Tee and add an external pump to feed the buckets with an option to pump to drain via another Tee. Speedier drain time and reduced heat in the res the way I figure it. That would put me a few steps away from under current. Hmmmmm

Any thoughts or questions are welcome...

Hold the show, I told you I build on the fly.... Changes are already in effect

I have modified the controller already. I changed the overflow to just that, only an overflow. I have tee'd the pump so I can throw a valve and either pump to the garden or pump the system out. Once I started building in place I immediately see I need more elbows so I can run the 1/2" lines as easily as possible. The pictures tell the story...

The new overflow configuration on the controller...
20121214_220009_597x800_.jpg

The supply line and tee to drain...
20121214_220150_600x800_.jpg

Pump and internal plumbing...
20121214_215937_600x800_.jpg

Supply control valve on each bucket...
20121214_222332_528x800_.jpg

Beginning to fall into place...
20121214_222649_599x800_.jpg

20121214_222700_600x800_.jpg

I am maxed out at 6 buckets in the grow space...
I believe I will put a filter bag on the pump for good measure.

It's been a fairly easy assemble but for the sore fingers from all the fitting work.

:tokin:

The grommets are available at most brick and mortar Hydro shops, as well as online. I do believe you can get grommets at the home improvements stores from what I read. I know they carry pex fittings and such as used in sprinkler and in-floor hot water heating systems.

Cleaned my only local hydro shop out of ebb and flow fittings. :cheesygrinsmiley: I think I've always assumed that below water line thru-fittings should have a threaded bushing on the inside for a water tight fit... Do those grommets tighten down against the bulkhead of the bucket? Do you have any issues with leaks? If not i should consider your approach, it would be much easier to just pop a grommet in that sucker!

I have leak tested a few with no leaks what so ever. So I have confidence in them. It is not unusual, they also make UNI-SEALS if you wish to use larger pvc pipe and build an under current style system. The grommet compresses into the hole then the fitting increases that again after insertion. Should a leak develop, I am sure a little silicone will seal it up.

Cleaned my only local hydro shop out of ebb and flow fittings. :cheesygrinsmiley: I think I've always assumed that below water line thru-fittings should have a threaded bushing on the inside for a water tight fit... Do those grommets tighten down against the bulkhead of the bucket? Do you have any issues with leaks? If not i should consider your approach, it would be much easier to just pop a grommet in that sucker!

IT'S ALIVE!!
:yahoo:

After a few hours of working on my knees and bent over I most definitely aggravated my condition, lets hope it pays off. The system is up and running wet. I had to replace one valve as it was obviously defective from the get go. Other than that NO leaks. Supply is running a 323 gph Tetra submersible pump. I may up to a 425 I also have on the shelf. Water seems to flow evenly in each bucket with no adjustments. Next is the addition of air. I am pondering just how much I need. Do I need to stone each bucket or only the controller due to the recirculation? HAve to give that some thought. Letting the the system run overnight as a long term test, hopefully all is dry in the morning. Looks like it going to take about 16 gals to fill the system to within 1" of the net pot.

Let's see this thing in action...

20121217_214213_800x594_.jpg

Can you see the supply water?...
20121217_214224_800x600_.jpg

Time to burn one...
:smokin:

Still running leak free...

I decided to put all my air into a 6" stone in the controller and added a DIY diffuser in each bucket supply elbow. Take a short piece of 1/2" hose and crimp the end in the middle with a zip tie. Doing this creates a Y, and two streams. More bubbles in short. Will have to run and see if this will be adequate D.O. in the nutes/water.

The system has been running non stop since I fired it off. I will make yet a couple of hose adjustments due to the fact I am anal retentive about some things. It bugs me otherwise. I'll get some more pics up soon...

All I have left to do is plumb the drain and overflow out of the space. Quite the project this turned out to be.

:peace:

Re: K.I.S.S. myBuckets

Photo update:

Running system in place...
20121218_221749_800x600_.jpg

Notice the addition of the DIY diffuser...
20121218_221619_581x800_.jpg

Let's call this a WRAP... :high-five:

Join the DIY club, it feels good to see an idea become reality.

You too can build this as easy as 1-2-3...

:Namaste:

Nice job. I am going to put a hole at the bottom of my 30 gallon drip tub for an elbow and large pipe, so I can check my PPM and PH without lifting the lid. I am sick of lifting lids. Argg.

If I were going to run a bucket set up, I think I would just do individual DWC, each one with their own bubbler. Reason is, it would be simple, and if one plant went wonky with fungus roots or whatever, it wouldn't contaminate the others. The downside would be to PH and PPM each bucket. I can only grow six plants legally right now anyway, though. Once I have the space I am going to get another patient, and be able to grow 12, so then 12 individual buckets would not be practical.

So I will probably stick with the 30 gallon totes. At first, I created a rainforrest system, basically a big micron mister. It's just harder to maintain. You must use the more expensive Rubbermaid 30 gallon totes, or the shit leaks, even when you use weather stripping. In fact, the type of weather stripping you need to make a Sterilite leak proof, makes it cost more than a Rubbermaid 30 gallon.

Then there is a problem with misters clogging here and there. A bubbler drip system is so much cheaper to make too because you only need a ecoplus 66 75gph rather than the 318gph or higher. And, it works just as good, maybe even better. I'd have to do some side by side comparisons.

I then thought about making an aeroponic system, true aeroponics, not the mister system I built. Foggers clog way to easy, so no go. Here is the idea.

Cheap Aeroponics: Buy a cheap drimmel, used even on craigslist. Just be sure it has a fast motor. Then use an abrasive disk. Put it inside pvc, and run a hose along the inside, and have that drip onto the abrasive disk. Use a $10 ecoplus 66 75ghp for the dripper.

I agree, for me sticking with a project even a headache one till the end always feels superb compared to buyers remorse that I always get when I overpay for something I could have done as good or better.
I'm subbed and looking fwd. to seeing what your coming up with.
Thanks for the help and I added +Reps to ya.
I totaly agree.My buckets are ether hotel laundry buckets and frosting buckets return lines left over pex tubing and so on I was bitchin about wanting more needing bigger and wiffy took it upon her self to purchase a farm in a box.
I let it sit ther 6months be for I even opend it, and when I did I found a theory that I used as the starting point for third grow setup.
IMHO DIY is always the way to go since you built it you know how to work on it.
:Namaste:

Cool, I was a little confused cause someone was talking somewhere about running a water pump on timer intervals, that got me thinking when the feeding was done that the solution would then drain out of the bucket back into a reservoir for later leaving the roots to dangle in the air and start drying out. So now I understand that the roots will be constantly submerged into the nutrient solution with air stones diffusing oxygen 24/7?
I run my set up both ways ,full bucket or half bucket
I will let it run full bucket by setting control bucket at same level for a few days then lower the Control and allow the roots to "reach" for the water duing veg. During flower full at all times.
I would also suggest (to help lower cost) the return lines from each bucket can be run on one line.
IMO Knock on wood It has worked for me . The most I ran was 12 buckets 1 controler, and 40 gal res

System is still up an running. I have installed air stones in each bucket,mostly cause it helps me sleep better... I have throttled back the pump a bit and balanced the flow with the installed valves. I have drained and refilled res/controller bucket once, it was a breeze with installed valve and tee. Once I get a good handle on this system and dial things in I am confident it will deliver as expected. Test crop is doing well..

Back
Top Bottom