Kalashnikova, Kera Dwarf & Some AK For Good Measure - All Autos - First Grow!

Epic 1st grow Ozmo.:goodjob: I'll be watching with keen eyes. :D What made you choose those strains out of interest? I'm fairly new to it all myself but on my 1st grow I used only CFL lights. I found they let me down in flower. I still got enough bud to keep me smiling for a long time but the plants didn't stretch after I flipped them. Very little anyway. I'm led to believe they should....no pun intended! ;):peace:

Update...
Everything still seems to be going well on the whole, the kera Dwarf and the kalashnikova have both been topped and have responded well, I actually messed up the dwarf when I topped her, I cut too close to the lower node and killed one of the fan leaves, fortunately this exposed 3 new tops which have filled the void nicely! I cannot believe the speed the kalashnikova & the dwarf are growing at, I have started giving growth Nutes - half strength every other watering and they have responded well! The AK auto seems to be going a bit slow, I can't find it again but I'm sure I read that the AK auto prefers 12/12 light cycles... Maybe I'm mistaken.
Lighting...
I've raided my piggy bank and have some money for a new light. I want as much bang for buck as possible, but don't want to buy something cheap and nasty just because it has a high output. I'm thinking 600w Mars hydro, or there is a 400w cob made by rolandro that looks like good value? Any suggestions? I'm thinking cob as it's smaller and I can add others further down the line if needed.

Kalashnikova topped at day 17, this was taken a day or two later, you can see the new tops coming through, there are so many new growth sites under the canopy - it's about to go crazy!

Kalashnikova
Kera Dwarf - this strain hasn't given me any issues and just wants to grow! I can't wait to see what she yields!

And the Little AK, I think she's just a late starter I think she'll come good!

Epic 1st grow Ozmo.:goodjob: I'll be watching with keen eyes. :D What made you choose those strains out of interest? I'm fairly new to it all myself but on my 1st grow I used only CFL lights. I found they let me down in flower. I still got enough bud to keep me smiling for a long time but the plants didn't stretch after I flipped them. Very little anyway. I'm led to believe they should....no pun intended! ;):peace:
Thanks thirsty! You'll make me blush!
I totally agree about the light, I'm about to push the button on a 400w cob LED that should be Delivered tomorrow, that should do the trick, right?! Its only a 60x60x150 tent so I I'm thinking 600w would be over kill?!
The strains were chosen due to ease of grow and price of seeds, I didn't really know what to expect as it's my first proper attempt so I thought I'd cut my teeth on some easier strains. I have totally got the bug though, I'm already trying to work out how to get more grow spaces in my apartment!
I'm going to check out your journals now.. Out of interest, what was you first yield with cfl's? Cheers for the comment

[QUOTE="Out of interest, what was you first yield with cfl's? Cheers for the comment[/QUOTE]
I don't actually have a figure to give you I'm afraid. I harvested in stages and was smoking all the while. It was small though. I was going to get a figure but I forgot to weight the mason jar 1st! When will us stoners learn?!! The main haul as I remember filled a large mason jar. Not too big not to hold in 1 hand but any bigger would be a 2 hander. Does that make sense? Like a DD tit!! :eek::p ...sorry, I couldn't resist once it went into my head!!

It was actually partly due to seeing your results that I swung that way, plus I like the modular nature of them.. I can't wait, neither can the girls!

Yea.. I like the modular nature of the COBS. I think I may scrap my frame after I finish the next grow and convert them to individual COBS. I really have enjoyed being able to individually control the height of each of my solo's.

Howdy Ozmo. Hope your COB is working out. I haven't done much research on them but I do like the sound of them. As Troy said they are modular. That would be very helpful. ...Anyway, it's a bit redundant now but interesting all the same...drumroll...:theband: I give you the difference between C99's grown under a CFL and a purpose built LED:
1st the C99's under a CFL. There is serious spacing between nodes here. They are probably stretched as far as possible looking for proper light!

The 2 C99's are in front here. The 2 pics are both from the same batch of seeds at a month old. The only difference besides the light is the time difference. The 2nd pic with the 2 plants is after 1 year stored in the fridge and also they are grown in a tent as opposed to a cardboard box. I doubt those factors would matter.

And another pic in normal light. i would be tempted to say the lights only affect the spacing and not the amount of nodes! The leaves do seem fatter and greener under the LED's. It will be interesting to compare further as time goes on.

Hey thirsty, interesting photos. There's a massive difference between those plants! My 300w cfl is doing an OK job at the moment but apparently it's not good for flowering. I'm still waiting for the cob to be delivered scamazon are messing me about! Took the day off work today to wait for delivery!
I'm intrieged to know why you've blurred out the front of those two pots?!

Quick update...
Still no preflowers, the kera Dwarf is say 25 today so should start very soon.
The AK is doing a bit better, I guess she needed more leaves before she got going.
I'm tempted to pop another bean, I'm just not sure how busy it's going to get in there and don't want to mess it up through being greedy! The 400w cob should be arriving today, I'll see how they do under that for a week.
These photos were taken just as the lights came on, which is why they look a bit droopy!

Hey Ozmo. That sucks about the delivery. I did the same when I got my tent cause I was afraid it could be left next door. I had visions of a big cannabis leaf on the front of the box despite the promise of discreet shipping!
I blurred the labels cause I mixed them up and only realised when I went to upload. Easier to do that than take them out and photo again. And I had a bottle of wine in me. It would be dangerous to start moving plants at 1am whilst tipsy!! :p

Having been let down by the people I ordered the light from I have to choose another one and I'm torn between the following two options, something is telling me to go for the 400w, but the 1500w also gets good reviews. Thoughts are welcome!

These are the two I'm stuck between, I'd really appreciate the input of someone who knows things about stuff

Update.....

Everything is still going pretty smoothly, not to say they couldn't be better, but I don't seem to be suffering with any deficiencies or bugs etc..
The Dwarf and the Kalashnikova are showing signs of pre flower which is cool and they are stacking new growth every day, having seen other journals I think I was expecting larger plants, I guess my pots are too small - that and the fact i didn't fill them properly with soil and the lighting could be higher quality, the 400w cob should arrive today which will improve things.
given the small size of the plants, I have room for one more so I have started to germinate a Cash Crop Auto - by Cream of the Crop, its a pretty lights x big bud x Ruderalis. its meant to be so high yielding you have to support the colas so they don't snap off, i'll be very surprised if I manage that but I live in hope!
I am still only using growth nutes, as I understand it I should continue to do so for the first 2 weeks of flower - whilst they stretch then switch to bloom, i'd be interested to hear other peoples input on this

Some pictures of the girls:

Great colour in those leaves Ozmo. Thanks for the natural light pics. it wrecks my head when people don't post them!
UV light pics have their advantage too but anyway... Fair play to ye!:goodjob:

Those plants look sooooo much better than mine! :oops:

I would like to raise a topic that I have mentioned either in my own journal or someone else's. Can't remember!
I have questioned the reasons why people favour auto's. :eek: I think I get the advantages ( do I? ) are best suited to experienced growers. If you were growing non autos or whatever they are called, you could let the veg stage drag out as long as needed to reach whatever height you had planned. For less experienced growers like us I think we are better off having the ability to sow, observe, grow, observe, deal with newbie problems, observe and flip when we are ready, as opposed to when the plant is ready. You seem to have everything nailed down. It's why I am mentioning it. You could probably grow a beast of a plant given your success so far if you were able to choose not to flip now.
Feel free to hit the big red BULLSHIT button on this cause it's just a mad Irishmans opinion!! :peace:
Slainte mo chairde and feel free to steer me in the right direction.:Namaste:

Hey thirsty..
I think that’s a good point, although there are pros and cons to both. It’s not just the quick flowering time though, the autos all seem to be much hardier and less sensitive to deficiencies and bugs which makes everything easier. I have got some normal feminised non auto seeds I’m going to have a go with, I’d like a bigger grow space to do it ideally!

Also I have found that the times given for veg and flower by sellers are unsurprisingly optimistic! No doubt in optimum conditions. I have found that although it is a bit annoying, the ability to make a grow last longer if needed is helpful. My 1st lasted 5 months from seed and the way my 2nd is going I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened again! If they were auto's I wouldn't get the chance to bring them back from the world of pain they are in!! ------ I'm just being dramatic there but hopefully you get my meaning! I'll shut up now!:oops: Rant over!:p

All still going well, I'm annoyed at myself for using such a small amount of soil, it's really going to stop these plants getting to decent size.. We'll see! Still just using veg nutes even though there are signs of flowering, will continue to for another week or so to try and encourage vegetative growth.
I added a new plant as I mentioned before, in a bigger pot with more soil in it! Cash crop auto, everything I've read about it sounds great.

The AK isn't pretty but she's still trying!

The kalashnikova is my best looking plant at the moment

Back
Top Bottom