Karr's water cure journal. Using a tds meter

Karr

So water curing is gaining a lot of hype lately and I am having a go at it myself. I am taking bits of what i have learned from the other top posts in this forum and am trying to refine the method as best i can using the tools i have.

To start off the buds i am using have been trimmed and were drying for a few days. The buds were still somewhat moiste when i started the water cure. I have taken about 10g and dedicated it to this experiment while the rest od the plant will dry and cure more traditionally. Hopefully at the end of this I will have two sets of identical herb with the only variable being the cure from which a comparison can be made. I should not that this plant was in great health and the water cure is in search of a smoother smoke.

The water I am using is ro water from safe way, it comes out at 11 ppm tds on my Hannah meter. I will not be phing the water as all i have is chemicals for that as well my electronic meter doesn't measure such a pure water well. I will measure the runoff ph after my next water change.

So beginning I added the water almost full the gently set the bud in the water so as not to damage it too much. Once all the bud was in I filled the jar the rest with water until just a bit came out of the nail sized hole in the top when closed. I then put a ziplock bah over the hole to help Deter any contamination while still letting gasses escape.

Upon filling the jar with water i then checked the ppm and it registered about 50 ppm right away.

I waited an hour and changed the water right away as sort of a flush. In that hour the ppm jumped to i believe about 200 and had a slight green tint to it.

Fresh water added for the night (about 8hours). In the morning the water hat bumped up to 400 ppm and the buds still look natural.

Temp so far had been in the mid 60s and always kept in a dark cabinet.

I'm going to change the water again before work.

I plan to keep changing the water until i see a significant ppm drop and stabilization. Ideally I would love to get the bud as close to zero ppm in water but I'm mot sure that Is possible without the bud itself dissolving. I will be leaving a decent sized nug after most is removed just to see how long it takes before the plant matter decomps.

Pics up soon as I know everyone loves pics.

Hope the end result helps someone.

I didn't get to change the water before going to work, so it was just now.

Ph settled to 9.0

Ppm was 200 even

Water was less pungent.

I am thinking it is closer to 15g of bud in there. I just jarred the other half of the bud in prep for cure, I may have waited too long as it was a bit chrispier than I like. I generally have no problem with mould in the jar so I jar a little more on the damp side.

So as of now I am at 1.5 days of water cure.

I am thinking to expedite the process it would be really nice to make an inline filter essentially that is hooked to a ro filter and the water would just slowly pass through the bud. A constant stream of blank pure water pulling bad things with it as it goes. I'm talking a very slow stream here, like a gph or so.

Ok day two ended and water hit about 170ppm so I am seeing a nice decline.

Day three is halfway through. The buds still look like their dried brothers, no real change in color.

The water smell has gone down, but the tint is about the same. At this rate I expect another 2 days or up to 4. I would like to get the ppm to under 100 before drying.

Pics to come after I get a pack of batteries in about 2 hours.

This afternoon after an overnight and half day in the same water (as i ran out) the ppm hit 174, so with the longer period i imagine it sucked a little more out.

I will do a quick flush in about an hour and see what the ppm is for such a short period.

Smell of the water is still there and the color is just noticeable.

Still no batteries for the camera but today after work i did have a surprising find.

After the last 6 hours in the fresh water the ppm is down to 27! This was very surprising considering the last check was well over 100. The water still has a distinct smell to it though the color is about gone. With the jar empty of water the bud itself still has some good smell to it. It smells quite fresh.

So i will post up the morning numbers and see what happens.

I will be pouring the next waste water into a bigger glass to make sure i get a large enough sample size.

But wow, 27 parts per million! I didn't expect to ever see purity that low. I also confirmed this against my tap water of around 200 ppm.

Tomorrow night might be the last day for the cure, remember that i am leaving a few buds in the water as an experiment.

Down once again 17 ppm!!

The water still has the slight scent to it. The buds as well is a bit more smelly, in a good fresh bud way.
Pics shortly (finally)

Ah, i should complete the journal then.

When i finished flushing i got to about 10ppm constant before I just stopped,

The buds darkened and dried very quick once out of the water. They had a great smell right from the start, where as the ones from a normal cure have taken almost two months to get to a good place.
The smoke was smoother and tastier for sure.

It had a good smell, very sharp and pungent, but not in a weed way. Nor was the taste.

I didn't have very much, maybe a quarter. So it never stunk up a room like a half of some of the rest of the plant.

I really think the key is using zero ppm water from the start. It would seem difficult to leach material from a bud with higher ppm water, i would think you might implant into the bud things you don't intend.

Back
Top Bottom