KC 45 autoflow not flowering

Snaab

Hello all,

Quick question regarding the KC 45 auto flower strain. I germinated 5 of these beans just over 9 weeks ago. All germinated and vegged vigorously, first under a 100 watt T-5 flouro, then under a 200 watt LED. After 4 weeks they were transplanted into 5 gallon smart pots and gradually hardened off in preparation for their new home. Shortly afterwards 2 of the 5 turned up male - one was chopped, but I kept the other male around for breeding. The remaining 3 females were moved to their new home where they seem to be thriving (2 of them are around 4 feet tall at this point, the other is over 5 feet).

While the female plants all show pre flowers (and no pollen sacs) there is absolutely no bud growth on any of the plants. I grew a couple of plants outdoors last year (sour diesel), using the same soil, nutes, and smart pots, and they were much further along in the flowering cycle than these are (although they were a bit smaller at this point).

Any ideas? Has anyone ran into this before? Maybe Herbies screwed up and sent the wrong seeds? I was a little disappointed to have my dreams of an early August harvest vanish...

Oops, just took another look at my calendar and these plants are at 8 weeks, not 9. Still, I should be seeing something by now, right?

Here goes, I only managed to get photos of the smallest female before the sky opened up, but hopefully that will give some clue as to what I'm talking about.

Here is the full plant at 55 days. Some leaf hoppers are munching on the bottom leaves, but otherwise it's been pest free.

IMG_145717.JPG

A closeup of the stem

IMG_145915.JPG

Just the very start of pistils forming

IMG_146112.JPG

And the male for comparison

IMG_146418.JPG

The female plant pictured is the smallest, but also the furthest along in flowering. The other two only have about half as many hairs on them.

You should ask Lester, he's been growing this strain for a while, and from what I figured it's not a 100% autoflowering strain, so you need to help it from time to time.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip - I came across one of his threads while I was shopping for strains but lost the bookmark.

Hi Snaab. :ciao:

With my experience growing KC-45 by KC Brains outdoors is that it's not really a traditional auto flower strain. And it is indeed photosensitive so it will flower very much like your typical photo period strain outside.

This may be a turn off to some people because like me when I first purchased it I thought it was your traditional "bud-on-a-stick" 60 day wonder auto. Turns out its the opposite. The KC-45 is known for monstrous yields and spiritual pot, you can feel free to browse my 2014 journal to look at the various KC-45 specimens I have harvested over the course of the year thus far.

Currently my naturally flowering KC-45 plant has been growing for over 5 months and is just now beginning to flower.

I employed the light deprivation technique in order to force many of my smaller KC-45 specimens into flowering mode.

So in short, KC-45 performs much like your regular photoperiod plant, and not like your traditional autoflowering strain. Why they advertise it as an autoflower is beyond me, since I have not seen any sign of Ruderalis in them.

However, a member by the name on donpaul was able to completely flower and harvest the KC-45 indoors while on a 24/0 light cycle.

So it's still "up in the air", but I harvested a lot of KC-45 and I really enjoy this strain for its quality pot and hardiness and strength/adaptation in my local environment.

Hope this helps somehow, just hang in there...:Namaste:

Lester, you've been a big help. I'm a little miffed that I didn't get the auto flower that I paid for, but so far I've been extremely pleased with the hardiness and vigor of the KC 45 strain, and your take on the quality of the smoke should make up for the delay in harvest. I was looking for something to compliment the couple of Critical Kush that I grew last time around and from the sounds of it these KC 45 should do the trick.

My concern is that they won't blend in with the surrounding vegetation by harvest time (a problem I had in the past and the reason I looked for an auto flowering strain), but that's just me being careful. I can already tell that these ladies will be on the pungent side once they get into the full swing of flowering and as long as I can keep these leaf hoppers under control they should be excellent yielding plants. Thanks again for your excellent journals - you're a real asset to the 420 community.

You are very welcome. Thank you for coming to 420 with your issue/grow. Glad I could help and found somebody who is also growing KC-45.

Be Well, and if you would like to document your KC-45 here is a link on how to make a grow journal.

How to Make a Grow Journal

I would love to watch your plant flourish. If you do make one, please post the link in here so we can tag along! :)

Having similar problems

Currently doing a indoor grow.. had 3 KCs coming on nicely in veg... 9weeks in and no flowering so got alittle worried so googled it and got directed to board. Read they need help from time to time so i flipped to 12/12 about week ago and two of them seem to be showing pre flowers but the third not yet. Im just wondering should i keep them in 12/12 from here on in? also how long does flowering take on this strain when you have to flip to 12/12. It just my first grow and feeling well out of my depth. Just hoping you can give me alittle info to calm the nerves...lol

Happy growing

Yes keep them in 12/12. You may even have to give them more darkness than that!

The strain has many different phenotypes, some of them take longer to flower than others. Some in as little as 2 months, some as long as 3 months. It's a finicky strain that requires patience. These plants get big.

Yes, you will be just fine after keeping them on 12/12. They will flower like regular photoperiod plants. Also, since they are so vigorous vegetaters, they love to be trellised and trained, so if your having height problems you can easily and gently tie branches down before the stalks get too woody in flower.

Would love to see your KC-45s and Welcome to the site, you can click through my journals if you want to see some KC-45 buds! :volcano-smiley:

thanks for reply lester

more than 12 hours darkness? like 10/14 until they start to really flower...? yeah got these cau i heard they were small plants so was shocked when they started to grow...lol Yeah height is big issue at mo... so just tie over to support them. Will keep you uptodate

thanks again for info and welcome

I use an outdoor flowering technique called "light deprivation"

So, my most recently harvested KC-45 force flower batch was getting about 16.5 hours of darkness per day. Again though, that is outside with a much more intense light source.

Yeah, something like 10 hours of light, 14 darkness would help ensure them to flower, once they get flowering they can still put out lots of resin and nice buds even with as little as 6-7 hours of light per day.

So yeah, nothing to worry about buddy. Just keep trucking along. :roorrip:

Alot of good info lester... will go to 10/14 for awhile then and see how it goes. If they start to really flower would you keep at that or flip back to 12/12.

thanks again

Keep it 10/14.

Once you choose a cycle, stick with it. It will be able to sense there is more light if you were to switch back to 12/12 and that could cause hermie/reveg.

KC-45 is sensitive to the light (at least the batch of beans I got), and it's essentially derived from a land race species in Brazil...

Good question ;)

From your earlyier post were you had 16.5 hours of darkness... alot of people would think that mad... first why did you to it.. and how did it go for you? I think people automaticially think more light is better but i guess darkness does as much for plants as light?

The dark cycle is a very important time for plants.

But the reason I did it like that is because I literally just drag the potted plants into the garage at certain (convenient time), and out again in the morning.

It coincides with my breakfast/dinner schedule so its more relaxed. It may sound complicated but it's not.

I have to make up for any inconsistency with being multiple minutes late at putting them in or taking them out of the garage, so they don't sense the extra light and hermi/reveg. So all the extra darkness helps make up for it too.

Again, my plants get some of the most intense high UV sunlight to flower with so only 6-7 hours of strong sunlight is enough to build big buds.

Force Flowered KC-45 with ~16.5 hours of darkness

IMG_30833.JPG
IMG_31004.JPG
IMG_31032.JPG
IMG_31062.JPG
IMG_31114.JPG

Lester your an artist

Im in shock... there no doubt about it plants really love the natural sun, 7hours of sun would probably give more goodness to plant as 24 artifical. That is a super plant. The main thing i have learnt is a plant can take as much light as you can give it... my plants arent nearly that full... there is no space between nodes at all in ures...lol

Hello all,

Quick question regarding the KC 45 auto flower strain. I germinated 5 of these beans just over 9 weeks ago. All germinated and vegged vigorously, first under a 100 watt T-5 flouro, then under a 200 watt LED. After 4 weeks they were transplanted into 5 gallon smart pots and gradually hardened off in preparation for their new home. Shortly afterwards 2 of the 5 turned up male - one was chopped, but I kept the other male around for breeding. The remaining 3 females were moved to their new home where they seem to be thriving (2 of them are around 4 feet tall at this point, the other is over 5 feet).

While the female plants all show pre flowers (and no pollen sacs) there is absolutely no bud growth on any of the plants. I grew a couple of plants outdoors last year (sour diesel), using the same soil, nutes, and smart pots, and they were much further along in the flowering cycle than these are (although they were a bit smaller at this point).

Any ideas? Has anyone ran into this before? Maybe Herbies screwed up and sent the wrong seeds? I was a little disappointed to have my dreams of an early August harvest vanish...

I bought some of the KC-45 auto's i planted 3 of them into an old washing machine spinner. Out of the 3 plants only one became female. The smallest of the three go figure. The largest turned into a huge over 6ft tall male. Also these didn't show signs of sex until after at least 5-6 months. I germinated them and moved outside in march and the female didn't fully flower until like november. Was not an auto flower at all. All my clones and seeds that i've made myself were done flowering soon that her.

Back
Top Bottom