KCMP Grow - 900W LED - Coco Coir - Spring 2015

I have not had a chance to look for any leaks yet. Definitely a indica dominant and high CBD. That entire plant is reserved for a friends medical use.

So I was doing a little pruning today and ran across this little guy.
20150210_181825.jpg

I have heard of plants doing this with buds, but not while in veg. Any idea whats going on? I am guessing it is just a fan leaf with big dreams.

Plants are looking amazing KCMP!
I have a question. You had a 2x4 and 3 Apollo Horticulture GL100 300w, do you think you could do with 2 a little bit more powerful? I am wondering because I want to start growing with LED and I have to replace 2, 600w HID in my 7X5X5 room.
The Sour OG from your last run was so beautiful! Was she a good smoke?
Peace!
The Little Amazon Welcomes All Visitors!

Plants are looking amazing KCMP!
I have a question. You had a 2x4 and 3 Apollo Horticulture GL100 300w, do you think you could do with 2 a little bit more powerful? I am wondering because I want to start growing with LED and I have to replace 2, 600w HID in my 7X5X5 room.
The Sour OG from your last run was so beautiful! Was she a good smoke?
Peace!

Thanks!

I think you could get away with 2 of the Apollo fixtures in a space that size if needed, but I doubt they would be on par with 1200w of HID. There actual draw is somewhere around 150w. I ran 2 for my 1st veg cycle and only added the 3rd before switching to flower. They are not the highest quality panels out there, but they seem hard to beat for the price and have been working great. I have a bad power supply in one of the units and plan to order a replacement very soon. I do think I ran them a little high my last grow. I currently have them 18" above the canopy and the plants are loving it. Definitely take my advice with a grain of salt... I am still a beginer at this.

I actually just burned through half a joint of the sour x og a few minutes ago and the effects are great. Unfortunately the taste is not the best. I think I left a little to much leaf on the buds, so hopefully trimming them down will improve the flavor. It smells like my shoes!

I thought I would throw up a few photos of the P98 Bubba Kush. Hoping to get 4 big colas out of this guy, but I was considering giving them all a FIM earlier today. We will see what happens.

4 happy tops.
20150209_213550.jpg

She is getting some pretty massive fan leaves!
20150209_213535.jpg

The leaves does looks different, but I wonder if the LED doesn't make them grow a little different. The worst case would be one of us not having the legit strain, which in my case I really don't care since I'm growing this strain for 1 time only.
The plants vegetating under LED grows phenomenal! I will be adding 4 panels pretty soon :)
Have a nice weekend!

Yo KCMP,
Nice grow my dude.:thumb:
Glad I got here early!
I use the same fabric smart pots and I use a tinted plastic dish underneath. Your tent is nice, its also very reflective and the light shining off the floor is also shining on the roots ;)
Be sure to water deeply AND evenly as you water turn the posts to ensure no dry spots. Treat coco like hydro basically.

Everything is moving along nicely and I am planning to switch over to flower next week. I want to piece together a drip system before going into flower as watering the plants at their current width is becoming a huge pain. Still planning on running drain to waste, so I am looking for some good bins to collect the runoff. Hopefully I will get that system together in a few days.

Everyone came downstairs for a haircut today so I thought I would snap a few photos out of the LED light. I also raised the lights about 3" this morning to keep them at 18" which seems to be the sweet spot.

Golden Goat
20150214_163403.jpg
20150214_163353.jpg

I am definitely going to keep this strain in the room on my next round. Grows fast and bushy with almost no effort on my part. I am slowly starting to trim up the lower growth.

Candy Kush
20150214_160706.jpg
20150214_160656.jpg

The Top performed last week worked out great and the canopy is starting to even out. Pretty sure this one is done with training until flower starts.

Pre 98 Bubba
20150214_155712.jpg

20150214_155858.jpg
20150214_155744.jpg

The early LST on the P98 has worked out well and I am interested to see how much stretch I get on this strain. Currently node spacing is around 1". The one big fan leaf just keeps growing!

Since my nutes are almost out I am considering switching to the Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect series for flowering, we will see what the next trip to the hydro store yields.

Yo KCMP,
Nice grow my dude.:thumb:
Glad I got here early!
I use the same fabric smart pots and I use a tinted plastic dish underneath. Your tent is nice, its also very reflective and the light shining off the floor is also shining on the roots ;)
Be sure to water deeply AND evenly as you water turn the posts to ensure no dry spots. Treat coco like hydro basically.

Thanks for stopping by.

Are you just letting the runoff go into your saucers and evaporate? I am worried about salt buildup so I wanted to figure out a better solution, but if that is working for you I might give it a try.

The leaves does looks different, but I wonder if the LED doesn't make them grow a little different. The worst case would be one of us not having the legit strain, which in my case I really don't care since I'm growing this strain for 1 time only.
The plants vegetating under LED grows phenomenal! I will be adding 4 panels pretty soon :)
Have a nice weekend!

Glad you are going over to LED! Plants love it and my current power consumption for the whole grow is only around $20/month with the lights running 24/0!

Thanks for stopping by.

Are you just letting the runoff go into your saucers and evaporate? I am worried about salt buildup so I wanted to figure out a better solution, but if that is working for you I might give it a try.

KCMP,
I am taking the runoff and ditching it. Usually the runoff avg about 25% to 30%.
coco_drip_tray.JPG

Okay everyone thanks for the tips regarding runoff. I really want to be able to leave the plants inside the tent and I think I have come up with a solution. Building this system backwards so I am starting with drainage first.

I went out to Walmart today and found these storage bins for $6.58 each. They are a perfect size for the 5gal smartpots and have a 10gal capacity. I am currently watering 2gal per plant with about 20% runoff, so it should take them a few days to fill up. I will then either empty the tubs manually or I will work out a sump pump system to pull the water out and into a bucket I can dump elsewhere. (I want to be really lazy about this).

Here is a shot of one of the bins with the drainage holes I drilled. Already tested them out and it works great. The lip in the center of the lid prevents any water from gathering at the base of the pots.
2015-02-15.jpg

And all of the plants back in the tent in (hopefully) their flowering position.
2015-02-15_1_.jpg
20150215_113713.jpg

As far as the drip system goes I want to thank TH3K3YK33P3R for providing me with an exellent list of materials to start with. I am currrently looking at a 40(ish) gallon resivour and will rig up 4 1GPH drippers per plant. I will figure out a feeding schedule with a timer once I have everything up and running.

Niiice!!!! Captn style! Definitely subbd!

Drip rigs are in progress. Here is my test rig which was slightly too small for my taste.

2015-02-151.jpg

I have since completed 2 of the rigs and installed them on the plants. They are just large enough to slip around the pots if I need to remove them, although it does take some convincing.
20150215_191732.jpg

Still need to swing by home depot to grab a section of 1/2" tubing but other than that all of the components are here. I am a little worried about dry spots developing in the coco and had the thought of using sprayers instead of the drippers. Anyone ever taken that approach?

How’s it going KCMP? Did you have a good weekend?
My weekend was so busy at work, couldn’t wait this celebration weekend to be over.
Bro, plants are looking absolutely AMAZING!

Drip rigs are in progress. Here is my test rig which was slightly too small for my taste.

What did you mean by too small? They seems to be perfectly around the pot.

2015-02-151.jpg

I have since completed 2 of the rigs and installed them on the plants. They are just large enough to slip around the pots if I need to remove them, although it does take some convincing.
20150215_191732.jpg

Still need to swing by home depot to grab a section of 1/2" tubing but other than that all of the components are here. I am a little worried about dry spots developing in the coco and had the thought of using sprayers instead of the drippers. Anyone ever taken that approach?

Like I said before, you will have some parts very dried :( and for that reason I did buy some sprayers but didn't use indoor yet, only in my outdoor garden. I get dry spots because I only used 3, 1gph dripper per ring, you are having more, I would recommend even 5 since you have only 4 plants. You can do all these tests now, just keep all the plastic bags in good shape and return all if doesn't work. At home depot they have some sprayers like this one
e49f5b96-0157-4665-9c9a-a6e0e0abbde6_400.jpg

that you can actually control how further you want the water to travel, so if you think the dripper will not work, remove them keeping the same number (4) and install a 1/4 in. Elbow facing down.
93df5d1a-a80e-4acd-9f91-a786c358f27b_400.jpg
Then you gonna cut a little piece of your 1/4 in drip tubing and connect to the elbow, then the sprayers. You will have to reduce the size of circle and this is how it should look like
teste_5.jpg

It should look and work as a shower head.
03f32443-d938-4499-9a71-1d67a05b157f_1000.jpg

Tha

Perfect call on the shower analogy. That is exacty what I was thinking. If I feel I am getting dry spots I will raise the ring up as high as I can, reduce the size, and use the sprayers instead.

Thanks for the compliment on the plants. I cant wait to switch to 12/12!

Okay everyone here is the week 3 (almost 4) update.

Coco is still working great compared to my previous soil grow and the plants were actually so out of control I decided to invest in a larger tent. Ended up going with a 60x60x80 Apollo Horticulture model.

I am now almost certain I want to add another fixture during flower but I am not sure which direction to go. I have actually considered purchasing 2 more 300w LED pannels so I can have 1 per plant.

Having the larger space allowed me to move the humidifier back into the tent and I am finally able to hit 40% RH. I also have added a large oscilating tower fan which seems to be working out rather nice.

20150206_192428.jpg
20150206_192534.jpg
20150206_192504.jpg

Other than the new grow area there is not much to report. After reviewing my calendar and Summer plans it looks like I will be able to veg for 6 weeks. I am planning to give both Golden Goats and the Kandy Kush a top in the next few days to allow the P98 Bubba canopy to catch up to them.

The only issue I am currently having is an epic battle between the 5gal smart pots and my plant roots. I first noticed that they were starting to protrude through the pots a few days ago and gave them a quick trim. Since then I have been removing about three to five 1/2" roots from the base of the pots daily. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

IMG_20150205_192853.jpg

Happy Friday!

I forgot to reply. You don't do anything about the roots poking out of the fabric pot, that's the great thing about those pots, the roots are automatically pruned by the light. Using fabric pots you never have to deal with a problem like root ball, as many do when they grow using plastic pots & they need to veg a plant for a long time and on the top of that having to flower for 10 more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom