KCMP Grow - 900W LED - Coco Coir - Spring 2015

Damn tweekers need to have some respect for the garden. I frikin hate snow yes it's cool in the bong, however it is not cool when you roll under a car and some freezing cold snow drops right in your ear canal. I was in the same boat with the garage scenario I even installed a huge furnace in there 2 years ago long before growing for working on cars. I couldn't see sucking in fumes if I was to work in there while growing. Pb blaster definitely has a funk to it that i would not want transferred to my flowers. Stay warm brothers and keepem green.

Okay everyone time to put on your Dr. coat, its Diagnosis Time!

I went into the tent this evening and noticed a little bit of an odd development on a few leaves on my P98 Bubba and Candy Kush. I have attached a few photos and would love to year your thoughts.

20150224_201136.jpg
IMG_20150224_201340.jpg
20150224_201125.jpg
IMG_20150224_201508.jpg

Based on my research (and that last photo) I am guessing this is a mild case of nutrient burn accompanied by salt buildup. The current plan is to give the ladies a thorough hand watering tomorrow to flush any salt out of the system, then get them back on the drip. I thought it would be best to get some other opinions before moving forward.

Any chance my plants have just decided to ditch some leaves that are recieving almost no light?

I dont want to give a diagnosis because I am still pretty new and dont want to look like a dumb ass. However, I got something very similar to this when I spilled nutrient rich water on my leaves. They had a sandpaper texture to them. It looked like this minus the strange 'bleeding' from the edges of your leaf to the center like you have in the third pic. Maybe a topical burn?

Hopefully someone has a solid idea as to what is wrong because I would like to learn more as well.

Any chance my plants have just decided to ditch some leaves that are recieving almost no light?

No, because then the leaf would be yellow instead of looking burnt. Flushing should get you right back on track.

I agree with the nute burn that is how one of mine looked when I gave it guano to soon. You getting good run off from your new drip system? Have you checked ppm of your run off? Have a great one bro incoming more frikin snow.

I agree with Subnoise. my leaves looked exactly like that (to a greater extent) when I over nuted them the first time. Were those ladies droopy at all or is there only the slight burning?

Thanks for the info guys!

I think I went a little overboard with the Big Bloom the last week of veg which caused some minor burn. I gave the gals a 2.5 gallon watering today with the AN A&B only at 1/2 strength which resulted in roughly 50% runoff. My previous runoff PH was hovering around 5.2, so I think there was definitely a little bit of salt building up in the pots.

My current plan is to keep using the drip system (I have too much $ invested in it) and either add 4 more drippers per plant or add a bi-weekly hand watering into the mix. I am also planning to increase the length of the two watering periods to keep the pots saturated and hopefully achieve a little more runoff.

:thanks:

Sounds like a solid plan. Even if you hand watered like you said with just phed water would give them a nice flush to release the salt build up. When I first started with coco I had dropping ph cause salt build up. Just flushed with 6.0 water till ppm matched what I was putting in and ph was back in acceptable range. Haven't had that issue all of flower by making sure I have plenty of run off and I always ph nutes to 6.0 wich is good for flower anyway. Have noticed the same in veg though 6.0 and plenty of run off no issues. Stay warm brother and best of buds to you.

Okay time for another update! Official Week 1 of Flower

Everything is going well in the flower room after the gratuitous flushing I performed on each plant to remove salt build up that I think resulted from an overambitious use of FF Big Bloom during the last two weeks of veg. I was also concerned that my drip system was not putting out enough water for the #5 smart pots, so I added 2 additional drippers to each ring that are adjustable from 0 - 10GPH. The two new drip units are also targeted closer to the center of the pot, which should help to saturate things faster and result in more runoff. I have also increased the watering period from 12 to 20 minutes. The first feeding occurs at 10:00am right when the lights come on, and I couldn't resist adding the second feeding from 4:00 - 4:20 for my own personal enjoyment.

I ended up having to run roughly 25 Gal of 6.0PH water through each plant to get my runoff back into the optimal range. I also have taken Subnoise advice, and am now running the Reservoir at a PH of 6.0 as opposed to 5.8.

Stretch is certainly underway and surprisingly the P98 Bubba Kush (which is rather indica dominant) has grown quite fast and evened out with the rest of the canopy. Due to the nutrient issues last week and the fact that I am finally seeing some female preflowers, I am going to go ahead and call this my 1st week of flower, with the last 7 days falling within the transition period.

In other news I want to give a big thanks to MaxYields for taking one of my plants (Elephant Purple) into his flower room. I got a little to excited with the new tent, and ended up veging too long which resulted in that poor girl being overtaken by her more aggressive neighbors.

Pics to follow soon!

Picture time! (Just for Stage).

Shot of the updated drip rig (now running 6 drippers per plant)
20150304_161144.jpg

Full Garden (see why I had to loose a plant?)
2015-03-04_1_.jpg

Golden Goats are currently at 38"
2015-03-04.jpg

And finally I submit this photo for my own personal Fan Leaf Challange. Feel free to post any challanges, but this is the largest leaf I have personally seen in my short time as a grower.
2015-03-02.jpg

I was hesitant to remove it, but in addition to the light nutrient burn it was so low in the canopy it was barley recieving any light and had begun to droop down into the coco as the stem could no longer support its weight.

Yea...that's what I'm talkin bout!:thumb:

Yo KCMP,
Im interested in your drip rig details.
Care to share? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Definitely!

If you look back a few pages in the Journal you will see that the TH3K3YK33P3R provided me with an exellent list of starting materials, and I ended up making a few modifications to his system. If you head over to his journal you can see the full list of goodies he provided me with.

Currently I am running a 80L resivour with a 500GPH pump that feeds a manifold connected to the drip rigs. Runoff is collected in the storage bins below each plant, and currenly emptied manually every few days. I had though about adding a 2nd pump to pull the water out of the drain bins and into the bathtub in the room next door, but I have yet to find the $$$ or motivation to make that happen. Emptying the bins manually also gives me the ability to get in there and inspect each plant every few days.

The system is still not perfect and definitely a work in progress. I think it may have accumulated to my salt buildup and nute burn issues since I was not running the drippers long enough to achieve propper runoff.

Assuming all goes well I plan to use the system again in my next grow, and will provide very detailed specifics once I have everything dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom