Keeping clones through the winter

oiuhdfukg

This is a question for those growing in northern locations, such as Canada where I'm located. I have a couple of pretty kickass strains (Malawi x Thai and Sensi Star x Blockhead) and I don't want to lose the genetics once the beans are gone. Room temperature in the basement where my grow tent is located dips to 50 degrees over the winter, which I suppose is too cold for most strains. I can probably get it up to about 70 degrees in the tent with the HPS on, but is it going to be too cold during the dark period to keep the clones healthy until the weather warms up? What do you guys typically do over the winter with your clones?

This is a question for those growing in northern locations, such as Canada where I'm located. I have a couple of pretty kickass strains (Malawi x Thai and Sensi Star x Blockhead) and I don't want to lose the genetics once the beans are gone. Room temperature in the basement where my grow tent is located dips to 50 degrees over the winter, which I suppose is too cold for most strains. I can probably get it up to about 70 degrees in the tent with the HPS on, but is it going to be too cold during the dark period to keep the clones healthy until the weather warms up? What do you guys typically do over the winter with your clones?

Here it can get down to low 40's downstairs, especially like this morning at -29F outside. It's not practical for me to install heaters, so my solution is to put them in a separate confined space and use the lights to heat (CFL's), in my case an old fridge, it's well insulated. If using only 1 tray I leave the lights 24h, if using more I can do 18/6, I just need to make sure one set lights is always on. I built a plywood box for a buddy, he runs 24/7 CFL's over winter and it needs to be well vented to control accumulated heat in his 12-14 Celsius basement. Overwintering I really don't mind temps of 65-70F as growth is somewhat stunted and they grow a more compact.

I bough a heating mat for iguanas and in winter I put the cloner box atop the mat and that keeps them at around 23°C-73°F on the enclosed environment. It was something like US$20, I think.

My grow room is pretty well insulated but still dips at night more than i like in winter. I'm going to put in a small wattage heater for the dark hours. I see some out there that are 200 watts. Will run it through a thermostat if I can't find a good one with built in thermostat.

Here it can get down to low 40's downstairs, especially like this morning at -29F outside. It's not practical for me to install heaters, so my solution is to put them in a separate confined space and use the lights to heat (CFL's), in my case an old fridge, it's well insulated. If using only 1 tray I leave the lights 24h, if using more I can do 18/6, I just need to make sure one set lights is always on. I built a plywood box for a buddy, he runs 24/7 CFL's over winter and it needs to be well vented to control accumulated heat in his 12-14 Celsius basement. Overwintering I really don't mind temps of 65-70F as growth is somewhat stunted and they grow a more compact.

Yes, I was thinking slowed growth would be a fortunate side-effect of the lower temperatures.

Yes, I was thinking slowed growth would be a fortunate side-effect of the lower temperatures.

You have to keep in mind that a stunted plant can take a good two weeks to kick back into high gear. When they get really low they almost go into hibernation with a really peculiar growth, but can take even longer to start up again.

IMG_1587_1_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom