Kerala x Skunk & NL x Skunk - Indoors - End of 2014

Howdy everyone, and all are :welcome:

I finally decided to begin another journal.:cheer::high-five:

This round is going to mirror one of my earlier grows a bit, as I'm going to be experimenting again with SpeeCees' No-Mercy 12/12 seed-to-harvest schedule (No Mercy Seeds 12/12 Hours 7 Harvests a Year System). Also, as these, if all goes well, get close to finishing, I'm hoping to start another few. Maybe get a perpetual thing going. I am planning to upgrade my lighting at some point in time in this grow.

Things are as follows:

• Seeds - 2x Kerala x Skunk #1 Regular, and 2x World of Seeds Northern Lights x Skunk Feminized, all four are free seeds from Herbies
  • Medium - Homegrown vermicompost, and perlite
  • Containers - 1 Gallon, I think. They're 6" pots. Will upgrade later if needed, and if space permits.
  • Lighting - 12x 23w CFL. Almost half of them 6500k at the moment.
  • Lighting Schedule - 12/12, seed to harvest.
  • Ventilation - About 5 or 6 80 or 120mm PC fans, and a couple other fans. Active intake and active out pull.
  • Nutrients - No nutes yet.

I just finished sowing all four seeds into my soil today. Will be watering multiple times today to ensure even watering of medium. I had to mix and mix and mix more and more perlite into the compost, as it didn't really want to drain at first. While mixing, I repeatedly filled a pot, and test-watered it, to check drainage, mixing more and more perlite in, until it all drained consistently as I wanted it to. There are worms in the mix, too. Wasn't gonna screen them out. There ended up a bit of fresh used coffee grounds in the mix, too, though by accident. I'm sure it won't hurt.

I've heard the Kerala x Skunk #1 called Kerala Krush before. I got this pack a long time ago, and haven't seen much action on it, at least here on 420 Magazine. I think I grew some of these before, but can't remember. I don't think I've grown the NL x Skunk yet, but can't wait to see the results.

I know that going 12/12 from seed is not a standard way of growing, but I really want to try and see for myself how well it works. Last time I did 12/12 from seed, my cat destroyed my plant before harvest, so I didn't really get to see the full results. Also, I was doing a few things different than what I'm doing this time. This time I'm not doing hydro, and this time I'm not training the plants (if I can help it), and this time I'm using my homemade compost, which has given me better results than store-bought soil.

I'll post back again when I see progress on the beans. :) Until then, feel free to sit back and spark one up, and chill, before the magic happens. Cheers!

I think these might be the same as these seeds, but I'm not sure. I got them as free seeds.

Here's what I planted 2 each of.
SAM_1646.JPG

Thank you, and welcome.

:Namaste:

I've got a clear plastic thing from a package of donuts, covering the pots right now, to help it retain moisture a bit. Still no visible anything yet.

Got lights on all night tonight. Beans haven't popped yet, but I need the heat, I think. 49F tonight.

When I got up this morning, closet temp, with lights on all night, was about 70F. I'm glad I kept them on. Still no sign of green. Gave a shot glass of water to each pot.

I think in the morning, I'm gonna hold off on adding water. Right now, soil is damp, but it's chilly, too. Closed the closet door, and am keeping all the lights on, for warmth. I have a space heater, but it's absolutely buried in my shed at the moment. It's one of the kick-ass oil-filled radiator-style electric heaters, with wheels. It draws about 1500w, but only runs about 30% duty cycle, once room is at temp. That's more about my insulation than the heater, though.

I think in the morning, I'm gonna hold off on adding water. Right now, soil is damp, but it's chilly, too. Closed the closet door, and am keeping all the lights on, for warmth. I have a space heater, but it's absolutely buried in my shed at the moment. It's one of the kick-ass oil-filled radiator-style electric heaters, with wheels. It draws about 1500w, but only runs about 30% duty cycle, once room is at temp. That's more about my insulation than the heater, though.

Those things are damn expensive to run!

The heater? I'm very fortunate, that my electric bill is included with my rent, and never fluctuates. My rent is the same all year. Water is included, too. Perfect for farming, within reason. ;)

EDIT: In fact, during summer months, we're encouraged to use as much water as possible, since landlord is paying a minimum rate for x number of lots that are standing empty, anyways. No one has ever complained about power usage. As far as I know, most have heaters similar to mine, but none are growing weed in their RV's, that I know of lol. Altogether, I'm running three PC's: one is old, works as server, has a 200w psu. My regular PC, on 24/7, draw 128w at idle. The other PC, draws around 140w at idle. I don't use any 12v in my trailer, so all light comes from either windows or from CFL and regular fluorescent lamps. My A/C draws 20A maximum (running about 120vac 9A, 5A w/o compressor running). I don't have a furnace anymore. My fridge is Energy Star, I think. Heater is the most expensive, current-wise.

Heat generation is always the most current-heavy application of electricity. There used to be some tv show or another, that showed a dozen table lamps lit up, taking the same energy as a toaster. Tired to find it, to no avail.

The heater itself is quite efficient. Once the oil inside gets hot, it stays hot for a long time before the heating element kicks back on. ;)

The heater? I'm very fortunate, that my electric bill is included with my rent, and never fluctuates. My rent is the same all year. Water is included, too. Perfect for farming, within reason. ;)

EDIT: In fact, during summer months, we're encouraged to use as much water as possible, since landlord is paying a minimum rate for x number of lots that are standing empty, anyways. No one has ever complained about power usage. As far as I know, most have heaters similar to mine, but none are growing weed in their RV's, that I know of lol. Altogether, I'm running three PC's: one is old, works as server, has a 200w psu. My regular PC, on 24/7, draw 128w at idle. The other PC, draws around 140w at idle. I don't use any 12v in my trailer, so all light comes from either windows or from CFL and regular fluorescent lamps. My A/C draws 20A maximum (running about 120vac 9A, 5A w/o compressor running). I don't have a furnace anymore. My fridge is Energy Star, I think. Heater is the most expensive, current-wise.

Heat generation is always the most current-heavy application of electricity. There used to be some tv show or another, that showed a dozen table lamps lit up, taking the same energy as a toaster. Tired to find it, to no avail.

The heater itself is quite efficient. Once the oil inside gets hot, it stays hot for a long time before the heating element kicks back on. ;)

Never ending electricity? Sounds like you need to expand.

Two of the beans have sprouted!

Opened up the closet today, only to see that so far, two out of four beans have sprouted last night! Hooray! One is a Kerala, the other is NLxS. The other NLxS seed had been displaced by watering, so I had to re-sow it. No sign of movement yet from the other Kerala. The song "Taste of India" by Aerosmith is stuck in my head, after seeing the first super-tiny true leaves of Kerala! I honestly think the Kerala is going to love the 12/12 regimen, as a sativa-dominant hybrid. It's lovely to have genetic info on plants you're growing. All the bagseed I've grown was good and all, but here I can spend time doing research on where the little gals came from. Fun for me, anyway. :)

Two of the beans have sprouted!

Opened up the closet today, only to see that so far, two out of four beans have sprouted last night! Hooray! One is a Kerala, the other is NLxS. The other NLxS seed had been displaced by watering, so I had to re-sow it. No sign of movement yet from the other Kerala. The song "Taste of India" by Aerosmith is stuck in my head, after seeing the first super-tiny true leaves of Kerala! I honestly think the Kerala is going to love the 12/12 regimen, as a sativa-dominant hybrid. It's lovely to have genetic info on plants you're growing. All the bagseed I've grown was good and all, but here I can spend time doing research on where the little gals came from. Fun for me, anyway. :)

you can look at how others have grown the exact same strain and see how it turned out! Always a bonus about having a specific strain :blushsmile:

Hi, and welcome. :)

I agree about named seeds. Genetics, evolution, and biology have almost always fascinated me. Cannabis has been the organism I've most studied, thanks almost totally to this site, and all of the members here, and their journals, tutorials, forums, and generosity.

I love :420:

Clock says 5:52, time flying. Last I checked, it was 4:20, and I was smoking the last of my Trainwreck. Mind is still quite blown. Coffee is on. Closet lights are off, strange. I don't remember re-engaging the timer. Must check on that a little later. Hoping to find two more popped beans. :) I'm really looking forward to the lanky Keralas, with pretty NL's budding in beneath them (I'm guessing that's how it'll go). I'm sort of assuming I'll need to bend the Keralas back and forth, or around and around, in the closet, or get a screen in there, before it's over. Hoping the NLxS grows thick and dense, but a little shorter, and not too bushy. Where did the last hour and a half go??

Well, we're still at 1 KK, and 1 NLxS that popped. Still two pots with no visible signs of life, yet. Lights are indeed on a 12/12 cycle now, but while I remember setting them 24h on for a day or two, for heat, I don't remember setting it back to 12/12. Oh well. I was thinking earlier, if the remaining two don't sprout, or if one doesn't sprout, then I have another seed I could try starting. It's another freebie from Herbie's, a Royal Queen Power Flower (Feminised). I'm not sure if I want yet another sativa in there, though, yet. I kinda want to order some indica-dominant autos, if anything, to add to this grow. I am thinking I should really make a screen for the girls. I've got chicken wire, but I'd rather use 1*2 fencemesh. Finding some for cheap or nothing will be easy 'nuf.

Anyway, I really really really hope the other two beans pop. The suspense is killing me, lol.

Anyway, I really really really hope the other two beans pop. The suspense is killing me, lol.

Always a nerve-wracking moment, rewarded by the excitement of seeing that little tap-root in the plate or shoot above the ground. :goodluck::)

Yep! I should mention, I sowed these seeds directly into soil. I'm not sure why, but I filled 3" Jiffy pots with my soil mix, then planted the filled Jiffy pots in the 1-gallon pots, with the same mix. Basically made 4 pots inside of pots. I do funny things when stoned sometimes.

Yep! I should mention, I sowed these seeds directly into soil. I'm not sure why, but I filled 3" Jiffy pots with my soil mix, then planted the filled Jiffy pots in the 1-gallon pots, with the same mix. Basically made 4 pots inside of pots. I do funny things when stoned sometimes.

Sounds like something I'd do :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom