Kief screen question

KJM

I just received a trim tray with screen from amazon. It looks very nice, stainless steel and well made. My question is, if trichomes are sticky, how will they not just gum up the screen instead of falling thru? The screen looks very fine. Do the trichomes loose their stickiness when they dry?

I just received a trim tray with screen from amazon. It looks very nice, stainless steel and well made. My question is, if trichomes are sticky, how will they not just gum up the screen instead of falling thru? The screen looks very fine. Do the trichomes loose their stickiness when they dry?

Hi KJM eventually they will gum up especially if it's warm when trimming. I just use a stainless steel steamer pan that I can scrape with a razor blade after
when dry the trichomes will crystallize and get brittle but once stuck on something pretty much gotta scrape them off or use solvent.
If wanting to make hash check out my winter hash thread in my sig

Hi KJM eventually they will gum up especially if it's warm when trimming. I just use a stainless steel steamer pan that I can scrape with a razor blade after
when dry the trichomes will crystallize and get brittle but once stuck on something pretty much gotta scrape them off or use solvent.
If wanting to make hash check out my winter hash thread in my sig
Thanks for the info. I looked at your hash thread and that's what I want! looks good. So just order 100 mesh food straining bags and save the trim? Sounds like a plan. I tried a little experiment a while ago using isopropanol alc and some green small buds in the freezer all night. I got some very hard concentrate but it wasn't very strong. I think the buds were not ready and I heated too much when evaporating the alcohol. When evaporating the alcohol you should stop before you get to the hard stuck on residue?

Thanks for the info. I looked at your hash thread and that's what I want! looks good. So just order 100 mesh food straining bags and save the trim? Sounds like a plan. I tried a little experiment a while ago using isopropanol alc and some green small buds in the freezer all night. I got some very hard concentrate but it wasn't very strong. I think the buds were not ready and I heated too much when evaporating the alcohol. When evaporating the alcohol you should stop before you get to the hard stuck on residue?
100 mesh or some sell finer I would start with the 100, you could then sift through your ss screen if finer
you want to dry your bud first & freeze separate, then combine & shake for only a min. (longer it sits the more chlorophyl you will get) keep everything as cold as possible when straining or you end up with plant waxes & lipids
it should stop bubbling when ready

Thanks! I let the alcohol sit on the buds about three minutes while occasionally shaking. This was all done in my deep freeze and everything was real cold. The alcohol wasn't green after the wash, I just let it evaporate too long I think and it likely got too hot on the end. I was evaporating in a glass dish on my BBQ and not measuring the temp. I know using a BBQ to evaporate the alcohol wasn't too smart, luckily no fires or explosions! I'm going to use a toaster oven next time for heat, with the door open, outside of coarse!

Hiya K, Use grain alcohol and just let it evap away on a plate. My brother and I make hash every harvest. The kit with the bags(3 mesh sizes) that fit over a clean 5 gal bucket. Add weed and some chunks of dry ice, swirl it around for a few minutes, remove the dry ice and put the medium or smallest mesh on the bucket and turn it upside down over a clean glass table. Tap and lightly shake the kief out.
You can get little presses that make pucks. The dross is great to deoxycarbolate and make butter or coconut oil.
Stay stoneder.

Back
Top Bottom