Kind LED & Friends A 420 Magazine Sponsored Grow & Review

Ian Bastage

Yes, it is time to do it again.

You may recall my first grow: Bomb Seeds Detonation Time! It turned out much better than expected in spite of my many mistakes along the way. Thank you again to all of the members that helped me. The yield was good and the smoke is very good and it will keep my cupboard stocked for a while with premium cannabis.

This time around, there is a new cast of characters, furnished by our superlative 420Magazine sponsors.

Kind K5 Series XL1000 Indoor LED Grow Light
Gorilla Grow Tent - GGT 4 Tent 4x4
Remo Nutrients - Supercharged Kit

Yes, there has been a few upgrades in my grow room and I will get to that in due course. I also reconfigured the setup to fit the new larger space and I will talk about that as well. I am still aiming for quality and to maximize the yield from just a few plants. To that end, I will only grow two feminized photo-period seeds again, but this time they will have an awesome light and double the real estate to spread out. I am tempted to just unleash them and not top or train them but just see what they can do.

A quick view of my dog checking out the redesigned grow space. The beans have started.

new-grow.jpg

On the subject of seeds, Gary @ The Vault was happy to work around my tight schedule to get the seeds I needed here in time to start the grow. The cultivar for this grow is:

The Church - The Green House Seed Co.

So, there you have it. It should be a fun grow and I hope that you can help me through it again.

To keep you entertained until I can get more pictures, here is a photo of The Green House Seed Co in Amsterdam in 2016. They are the building on the left with the green awning.

gh.jpg

I also must apologize for my rare appearances in Journals and in the Forum. Life got in the way. First the vacation that I thought I would have to cancel didn’t get canceled and we were out of country for 3 weeks. Then, I jumped back into work (with my uptick in health) and in rapid fire, I had to help host a 4 day conference in Texas, spend a week at a show in Vegas and spend 4 days in the wilds of Indiana. For May & June, I was only home for 10 days or so. I will admit that Vegas was fun with legal Cannabis readily available, especially since I had a rented house with 4 like-minded guys. And they could all roll a joint better than me! Last but not least, my furnace went DOA in the middle of it all. This was one of those serious ouch bills. We have had a number of those lately . . .

Anyways, I am sorry for my absence but I am back.

Much, much more to come.

Ian

Great to have you back brother and I'm definitely subbed up for this grow. The new space looks fantastic! I remember seeing the church on one of their comparison grows....... Looking forward to this.

Thanks for joining in Amadeus & Guy. Please chime in if you see my about to do something stupid. I am learning a new tent, a new hydro system & a new cultivar, so there are lots of potential things to mess up. :ganjamon:

I am also now totally legal with an ACMPR cert to grow. :theband:

Ian

Thanks for joining in Amadeus & Guy. Please chime in if you see my about to do something stupid. I am learning a new tent, a new hydro system & a new cultivar, so there are lots of potential things to mess up. :ganjamon:

I am also now totally legal with an ACMPR cert to grow. :theband:

Ian
Glad to be here buddy!
Wicked news.....like it stopped us before lol! Might want to sub up to my buddies new Journal, KCCO77 is his name. He is just dialing in a brand new system as well. ...... Might be worth looking into for the learning curve that he has gone through. Penny's been helping out a tonne.

KCCO’s First Grow In Hydro

full

I chose The Church because it is a European classic from Green House, one of Amsterdam’s most famous coffeehouses and cannabis breeders. Engineered by the late Franco Loja, it is a 40 Sativa/ 60 Indica hybrid, a 3-way cross of Erbeer (a Swiss Sativa-dominant hybrid), Northern Lights and Skunk #1. It is a tasty, mould-resistant strain that should be able to survive a summer in humid Ontario and it promises a big yield.

The Green House will no longer ship to the US or Canada due to the changing political climate. They recently acquired a 40% stake in Canadian licensed cannabis producer Agripharm, which will give them a legal entrance into the market at some point.

Our sponsor, The Vault (a GH vendor) did have them in stock and they were happy to send me the packet. Thank you, @Gary from The Vault .

Ian

They are not the only ones, I contacted so hum seeds in California and they will not ship outside of the state...... odd how more liberal views end up with more conservative rules LOL.

Legalization is changing things. It seems that companies that want to 'go legit' have to show that they are good corporate citizens & stop supplying the black market directly. That's why Green House is backing away & others are following suit.

Ian

When you listen to Aryan speak.....hes a connoisseur first but definitely a businessman. I could see where the passion would definitely conflict with profit. I know Franco (RIP brother), was all about the plants.......tough decisions to be made for sure. Maybe one of the reasons that Amsterdam proper, and Holland as a whole are starting to crack down a little bit on what is legal and what is not..... Just a thought?

We are watching a domino game. Colorado was the first, and now Canada has just upped the ante. As the first G7 country to go rec legal, we are paving new ground & swinging open a huge door of opportunity. More dominoes will fall, faster & faster, and any cannabis-related business owner should be making plans to capitalize on it. Establishing a beachhead in Canada is a smart move for Arjan.

Ian

Thanks PW & welcome to Jack420 & 420 . . .

Ian

I guess it is time for a status report. I am still working out the kinks in the system. The main problem was exhaust. I have a 4” fan with carbon filter & silencer. To keep the noise to a dull roar, I was running it on medium but it just wasn’t cutting it as temps were climbing into the mid-80s – with the light on a medium setting. And this was in a room with AC. No gouda.
So . . . I accessed a blocked off furnace/ac outlet & I vented it into the tent. This makes 2 tent alterations (cuts) because I also brought a water line in. That helped a lot but only when the AC kicked in around noon. In the morning it still baked. Stage 2 was a bigger fan. I just received an 8” fan & it seems to be doing the job admirably - set on a quiet medium – but I will know more in the morning. Now I have to light-proof the ducting. It never ends, but I need a no-fuss setup so I can leave it for a few days as I must for regular business travel.

The seeds with tails were put into the pots 6 days ago. I kept the Kind light on low (it is very adjustable – more on this later) & I had it at 46” to start. One seed popped above the surface 2 days before the other so it stretched a bit before I could lower & brighter the light, as I was concerned about frying the tender growth.

The slower one – I will call it Abbey (after Westminster). The stretcher will be referred to as Dame (for Notre Dame) since it appears to have an attitude.

Here is Abbey.

full

And Abbey’s 6” of root. Not bad for 6 days.

full

An overview of my work in progress . . .

full

Reservoir: 45L Tote
Grow bins: 2 x 45L totes
Outflow lines: 2”
Return line: ¾”
Water: 90L (regular water level) – 100L (seedlings)
Water pump: 370 gph
Air pump: 800 gph

It is a simple Undercurrent Deep Water Culture system. Airstones in all totes keep the water oxygenated & the water circulation is great. I can modify the grow bin lids to have 1, 2 or 3 plants in each but for this grow I am keeping it at 1.
No nutes yet. I will change the res tomorrow & introduce a 25% dosage. Joel @ Remo recommended that I use their standard online nutrient chart at a 70% level – due to the dwc. Again, I will get into more about Remo & their nutrients later.

Ian

Awesome start! I’m here and want to pick your brain about Canadian cannabis legislation. I have a couple ideas for business planning and honestly thought a couple of days ago, who could I ask? I wonder if Ian is still around? Then you popped in out of nowhere! I’m meeting with a potential investor next week to chat about my ideas, maybe I could message you or ask here? I just need some feedback to see if I’m waaaaay off or possible? Good idea or maybe nah? Lol

Back
Top Bottom