Kingjay's First Grow - Indoors - Soil - LED - Bag Seed Gamble

kingjay

Hello. These journals have inspired me to start my own. This is not my true first attempt, but it is the first time I have set out with real equipment. I have failed indoors a few times before. Cheap lights, uncontrolled temps, males, plaged me before. Gardening isn't new to me. I have a veggie patch that I put in annually. That said, I have questions and want help and suggestions. Now on to the specifics.

It is bagseed. A gamble, I know.
Veg stage now
Indoors in a 2x2x4 tent
Coast of Maine Stonington Blend
No soil amendments, as it comes
Tap water right now, need ph stuff
Smartpots 3 gal each
300w LED
18/6 for just over 2 weeks now
Small clamp fan
Carbon filter is not running yet. No need yet.

I started them in the wet towel method. Next put in the stonington blend in solo cups for a week or so and they exploded with growth. Now they are in the fabric pots and have doubled in size in the last four days. I am hoping for females so bad, but understand the risks with bagseed. These seeds are 5+ years old. Out of 10, three cracked open and two became plants. I just started a third as a backup. Soon, I will order seeds but I have years worth of bagseeds. Locally, bagseeds vanished around 5 years ago. All grass is seed free and I kept all these so why not give them a shot. I am really trying to do it organic and do not have plans for bottled nutes. Maybe a ACT if I think I need it. Maybe sugar water too. Light is approx. 18 inches above these two. I water as needed. No real schedule, if it's dry, I make it wet. Tap water for now, but I would like to use some ph'd ro water or act in the near future.
I am trying to resize images on my phone. So if they look off, please let me know.
420-magazine-mobile2078251979.jpg

Are these large enough for LST or topping/fimming? If better pics are needed, please let me know.

Sent from my LG-H901 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I pinched the tops tonight. I want short plants. Shrubs is what I imagine in my head. If these do what they should, I will start lashing it down to get bushy coverage. The light kicks a bit of heat and I am worried it is running hot. It hit 91 on the surface with a fan running today. The ambient room temp is cold 60 ish, comparatively. Tomorrow I am going to set up better circulation. I must say, this soil is better quality than my tomato bed out back. I started some basil in it and want to see how well that stuff does too. The small plants are doing well with just water. Molasses looks like a common thing to add, but won't the sugar attract bugs? For now, less will be more. I have hopes for females so in the.off chance I get lucky, I want decent results. Right now, RH and temp seem to be way out of whack from what is normal. I will make changes to the arrangement to get it down.
420-magazine-mobile1185608964.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1588279582.jpg

Height management is a priority. LST with some a SS wire. Added a strawberry and some other herbs to utilize the extra space until it's gone.
420-magazine-mobile384778266.jpg

Already recovering from aggressive lst. I bent the whole plants 90 deg to the soil. Sunday-Monday I will do a small defol to expose some growth. No more than 1 or 2 leaves per plant. Small plants with dense buds is my goal. Another sprout popped up. Bagseed #3. It will go to flower when the others do assuming I got lucky and pull a female. These seeds aren't sorted.

Went hard on the plants again. I also lowered my light since I worked the plant over so much. I really don't know how far is too much so I went as far over as possible.
420-magazine-mobile1633267836.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1263694564.jpg
420-magazine-mobile591826181.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1028896123.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1719378080.jpg
420-magazine-mobile808934427.jpg

Plants got wet when I watered them. I dried them with a paper towel best I could and called it good. My other bag seedling died. It was in sad condition. I may try a few more. It may be time to buy some genetics that are proven.

I may have been too rough on these. They were looking hard these past days since I bent them over. Coming back around today so I retrained them better. I found I may have supercropped one unintentionally. There was a thicker hard spot in the main stem. The lower growth has doubled on both plants since better light has reached it. Looks good I think. I may get some kelp meal from Coast of Maine. The soil is top notch stuff for store bought. I can only guess the quality is maintained throughout the product line.
420-magazine-mobile602430028.jpg
420-magazine-mobile366678350.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1496561560.jpg
Any advice on cutting back a few fan leaves? I am not sure if they are strong enough to take away leaves. Also, the bottom of the fabric pot stays moist but the top two inches or so dries out. Can I add a few clay pebbles on top to retain more water in the soil? I usually mulch outdoors with wood chips from a guy who cuts trees. I didn't want to use that so, I am leaning towards the pebbles or small river rock.

Decided to shift to a 12/12 today. 5 weeks of veg. I suppose they could go longer, but the bagseed gamble could bite me in a long veg. Still no fertilizers. The organic soil has done well for these. Excited to see if I got girls. The plant to the left seems to be twice the size of the other. I have a 3rd seedling chilling in there that will go 12/12 from seed.
420-magazine-mobile1428140670.jpg

I got a girl I think. Is it normal for a plant to show sex after one day at 12/12? Any seasoned experts care to advise?
420-magazine-mobile188717061.jpg
420-magazine-mobile443478705.jpg
420-magazine-mobile83938782.jpg

Not really normal to show sex after a day in....But that might lead me to believe you might have a auto flowering...Seed...You u might have scored a good seed man...Good luck ...Looking good so far

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the insight skunkgreen! This is all pretty new. I read it usually takes a week but I flipped the lights yesterday. I am pretty confused. But also really excited. I am going to try to get a better shot for you to get a better view.

Cool cool all good man.... Keep up on the pics....Everyone likes to see the pics....And if you have any ????????? Everyone on here is More than knowledgeable...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Here is the best shot I can get. These are all over the plant. At first I only saw a few near the top. The more I looked the more I saw.
420-magazine-mobile1354097817.jpg

Back
Top Bottom