Knights 1st Grow - Sour Diesel & Kosher Kush

hey man, just found your journal, i have had same problem with one of my plants in my current grow, first i was adjusting water's ph as well and got it to the point of normal numbers 5.8-6.5 soil, but she was not giving this disease up, new leaves kept turning brown-spotted so i just start feeding her with nutes and now it seems like new grown is doing fine :wood: old ones would not recover so i just cut em off, ended up cutting 10 fan leaves

and im subbed!

i believe it is a pH adjustment problem as well, i would still add a small amount more of calcium and magnesium until you see an improvement in the plant. damaged leaves will not heal, pay attention to the stems colour and new growth.

KingJohnC is most likely referring to some kind of Cal/Mag supplement. If you don't have a specific Cal/Mag water soluble then you could use a dry garden lime (at most 1 tbsp. per gallon of water) and apply that.

Another thing that I think helps is some sort of microbial additive. The microbes will help break down nutes and stabilize PH. I use "thrive" mixed with 1 cap full of unsulphured molasses / per gallon of water.

hey man, just found your journal, i have had same problem with one of my plants in my current grow, first i was adjusting water's ph as well and got it to the point of normal numbers 5.8-6.5 soil, but she was not giving this disease up, new leaves kept turning brown-spotted so i just start feeding her with nutes and now it seems like new grown is doing fine :wood: old ones would not recover so i just cut em off, ended up cutting 10 fan leaves

and im subbed!

Sounds to me like you did it exactly right. PH first then nutrients.

Nice work!

So its been a while since my last post. Looks like the issues are over with, hopefully. I've been ph'ing my water to 6.5 and adding nutes as normal. Girls are getting bigger and hopefully I'm doing the LST right. A few of the leaves on the plants touched my lights for a few hours so there are a few burnt ends. Anyways, here's the latest pictures.

Both Girls
20130717_002530.jpg

Sour Diesel
20130717_002444.jpg
20130717_002436.jpg

Kosher Kush
20130717_002428.jpg
20130717_002413.jpg

I'm about to be out of pocket for a few days. So I just watered the girls tonight and hopefully it'll be enough until I get back. Moved the lights up a bit too, just in case they sprout up too much. Hopefully they won't reach the lights and burn the poor tips.

I figure that I should have the girls big enough, so when I get back I'll probably start cutting clones and then moving them on to the next stage of the journey by the end of the month. I'll start prepping up the room for the next phase and see how that goes. So far the girls will be 2 months old by the end of the month, so I think that should be good.

Thanks guys for all the help. I really appreciate it!

purpling in stems usually mean a micro nutrient deficiency, i would add more calcium and magnesium.

I see some yellowing between the life veins which leads me to believe that there could be a magnesium deficiency.

After you get the PH where you want it, you can spray the leaves with a 1 tsp. Epsom salt / per gallon of water mixture (spray at end of lights on cycle to avoid hot spots from water droplets on leaves).

You could water you plants with this same mixture or just use the 1/2 strength nutes if this has magnesium in it already. Magnesium is a common deficiency in soil. I add garden lime to my soil to help balance the PH and provide magnesium.

But I always defer to a PH problem first... then make small changes to fix perceived nutrient problems.

and im subbed!

So its been a while. I also learned some things since I've lasted posted. One major thing i realized was that my process was wrong when feeding. I would ph water down to 6.5 and then add nutes and go about the watering process. One day I happened to check the ph of water + nutes and it was around 5.7. This leads me to believe that all of my above problems are from that stupid mistake.

Now I'm adding nutes, then ph'ing down to 6.5 and then feeding. Plants seem to like this course of action much better.

Now I need to finish building the cloning machine and preparing for cutting clones. Does anyone have a good guide on how to cut clones that they follow? If so that would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures so far.

Both
20130809_210242.jpg

Sour Diesel
20130809_210300.jpg

Kosher Kush
20130809_210309.jpg

So its been a while. I also learned some things since I've lasted posted. One major thing i realized was that my process was wrong when feeding. I would ph water down to 6.5 and then add nutes and go about the watering process. One day I happened to check the ph of water + nutes and it was around 5.7. This leads me to believe that all of my above problems are from that stupid mistake.

Now I'm adding nutes, then ph'ing down to 6.5 and then feeding. Plants seem to like this course of action much better.

+Reps for learning something along your journey. I believe PH is the number 1 issue with growing.

Now I need to finish building the cloning machine and preparing for cutting clones. Does anyone have a good guide on how to cut clones that they follow? If so that would be greatly appreciated.

Cloning... It seems difficult at first. I guess it depends on what you like and need. For me it was a little trial and error.

I tried bubble cloners:
I didn't like them to much. Why? Too many parts. Too many things get dirty and after getting roots I had to transplant to soil which for me didn't go so well. It is still very viable way to do it.

Considering I grow in soil:
It has been easier for me to just clone in soil.

It all comes down to what you like and what you have success at. I just recently took 4 clones in soil and had 100% success. So for me soil works great. For you... to be determined. But I suggest doing whatever works for you.

How to clone:
I would do some searches for cloning and watch a few videos.
*I basically cut a 45 degree angle, dunk it in a cup of water straight from my facet (yep... it has chlorine in it). You want at least one node
(2 nodes are what most people do) **I only used one node on the 4 clones I recently took and had no problems** You trim the nodes as close to the plant as you can, dip some cheap cloning powder on, and then put it into your medium (soil? bubble cloner? mist sprayer?). I use a seed starter soil "Epsoma organic seed starter". I like to use a humidity dome. I may spray water on the inside of the dome a couple of times (2 to 3 times) during the first 10 days. I take the dome off after 10 days and see if they wilt. If they wilt I put the dome back on and check them again the next day, wash and repeat.

You can even clone without cloning powder. It just takes longer. Up to 15 days and even 20 days sometimes.

The easiest way would be to use peat pellets. I like peat pellets because they aren't very messy.

:goodluck:

+Reps for learning something along your journey. I believe PH is the number 1 issue with growing.

Thanks, I hope I didn't screw nothing up too badly since they've been too low on the ph this entire time. I guess time will tell and let me know if I wasted a bunch of time and got garbage or if somehow I got lucky and can still continue. Oh well, lesson learned. Life 1 - KnightStawker 0.

Cloning... It seems difficult at first. I guess it depends on what you like and need. For me it was a little trial and error.

I tried bubble cloners:
I didn't like them to much. Why? Too many parts. Too many things get dirty and after getting roots I had to transplant to soil which for me didn't go so well. It is still very viable way to do it.

Considering I grow in soil:
It has been easier for me to just clone in soil.

It all comes down to what you like and what you have success at. I just recently took 4 clones in soil and had 100% success. So for me soil works great. For you... to be determined. But I suggest doing whatever works for you.

How to clone:
I would do some searches for cloning and watch a few videos.
*I basically cut a 45 degree angle, dunk it in a cup of water straight from my facet (yep... it has chlorine in it). You want at least one node
(2 nodes are what most people do) **I only used one node on the 4 clones I recently took and had no problems** You trim the nodes as close to the plant as you can, dip some cheap cloning powder on, and then put it into your medium (soil? bubble cloner? mist sprayer?). I use a seed starter soil "Epsoma organic seed starter". I like to use a humidity dome. I may spray water on the inside of the dome a couple of times (2 to 3 times) during the first 10 days. I take the dome off after 10 days and see if they wilt. If they wilt I put the dome back on and check them again the next day, wash and repeat.

You can even clone without cloning powder. It just takes longer. Up to 15 days and even 20 days sometimes.

The easiest way would be to use peat pellets. I like peat pellets because they aren't very messy.

:goodluck:

Thanks for the reply Scarfinger68. My medium will be the same way 420fied did it. I've already constructed the cloning machine and all that, just need to get some pucks to hold the clones. My only question is how to cut the clones and all that but I think you answered most of it. I did plenty of searching and it seems everyone pretty much does it the same way for the cut. After the cut everyone seems to have their own opinion on powder or gel or whatever but it seems its all basically the same thing. Once my pucks come in, I'll begin the cutting of clones and then that part of the journey will begin.

Thanks guys. I'll take another picture tonight after I feed the girls with a correct ph'ed water + nutes. lol. sorry, just need to laugh at myself for an elementary school type of mistake. :hmmmm:

Thanks, I hope I didn't screw nothing up too badly since they've been too low on the ph this entire time. I guess time will tell and let me know if I wasted a bunch of time and got garbage or if somehow I got lucky and can still continue. Oh well, lesson learned. Life 1 - KnightStawker 0.

Your doing fine. Even at the wrong PH they still can take in some nutrients. It just won't be at optimum levels. And now you are aware of PH you will likely have less problems and be rewarded with a better grow/smoke :)

So its been a while. Learning new things every day. I finally took cuttings and made the 420fied's cloning machine. Its been a bit over 2 weeks since the clones have been in there but they are slowly showing roots. Finally! Now to just get them to the proper length.

Here's a picture of one of the clones that finally rooted.
20130918_233642.jpg

Here is a shot of all the others. Hopefully we'll see all the rest starting to root soon enough.
20130918_233818.jpg

Also bought a book by Jorge Cervantes. I wonder why I didn't buy this many many moons ago. Would have helped answer alot of questions. Oh well. I continue to live and learn!

Hope all is well with everyone.

So its been a while since my last post. The clones didn't take and didn't root other than a few and they started to wilt shortly thereafter. So I decided to go against the clones and go ahead and take the two mothers and flower them out. So I went ahead and trimmed the plants back and allowed them to continue vegging for a month. After that month I moved them over to the flowering table. So its been 5 weeks since they have been in flowering.

Kosher Kush
20131217_233712.jpg
20131217_233735.jpg

Sour Diesel
20131217_233751.jpg
20131217_233816.jpg
20131217_233832.jpg

Both
20131217_233903.jpg

So I also noticed that my fan leaves are starting to get some type of white spots on them. Any thoughts on what that might be? Thanks for any help you guys might be able to provide.

First grow :smokin: always interesting... So I'm flushing the plants for the harvest in a few days. I finally got a 60x magnifier so I can check out the crystals. When looking at the tip of the buds I noticed a small moving creature that looked like a bee. I went thru my growing book and couldn't find something similar to what I saw. I'm hoping its not the stupid spider mites but they looked more like bee's when I was looking thru the 60x with black bodies. Taking away the 60x I couldn't see them. I only saw 1 per plant but it was difficult to refind the guy once I lost track of him. Any ideas on this nonsense?

Thanks again.

I have used Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad and Monterey All Natural 3 in 1 Garden Insect Spray to kill spider mites. I add 3-5 drops per gallon of Ivory Liquid Soap as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I spray every 3 days alternating the 2 Monterey products for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes 2 products to kill spider mites SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control.

https://ozbo.com Monterey Garden Insect Spray

https://ozbo.com All Natural 3 in 1 Garden Insect Spray

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom