Kodiak Kid's Second Outdoor Grow - Out of Africa - Strawberry Hybrid - Eirdbei

KodiakKid

Hello everyone. My second grow has started. Before going into the details I want to thank everyone who took an interest in my first grow last season. I was overwhelmed by the help and support you so kindly provided. I couldn't have done it without you all. I also want to apologize for not properly finishing the journal, life kinda got ahead of me then. But all is well and I'm eager for the the season.

So what am I doing?
I'm focusing on two strains from a local company here in Portland. One is called: Strawberry Hybrid (Eirdbei). Here's the basic profile:

Erdbeer/Pupurea Ticinensis X (Jack Herer/Citral(kush)/Black Domina/Swiss Miss)

Flowering period: ~7-8 weeks
Harvest outdoors before end Sept (45-48 N Lats).
Height: short/medium – medium
Yield: medium
mold resistance: very good to high
Potency: medium to very good
CBD potential

OGC, the local outfit acquired the hybrid in F7. My seeds are F9. He has only grown it outdoors. After last season, I was careful to choose a strain that would finish before about October 10.

So that is the first one. I'll describe the second one in the next post and follow with an update with pictures of where I am at!!! :welcome:

O.K. the second strain I'm featuring is from South Africa, a local early hybrid of South African Sativas. Here is the breeder's brief description.

Durban Poison/Ciskei (high alt. so. African sativa) x Durban (fast Durban hybrid)
Flowering period: ~ 9 weeks
End Sept to Oct 10
Yield: above average
Height: medium, some specimens can go big (outdoors)
potency: average to well above average

Again, this is a strain he has been growing outside and he says it was one of the best performers in the outdoor trial garden last season. It should be ready for harvest no later than Oct. 10. As with all my girls, these were started in an inert high quality commercial seeding mix (E.B. Stone Organics). It consists of mostly peat plus perlite, dolomite lime, and gypsum. I added more perlite for extra measure. The OoA emerged about 8 days ago. I have four. One didn't germinate. One croaked at emergence. (damping off?) The four remaining are looking great to my novice eyes. (I have a couple back ups popping) Here are a couple images.

IMG_0021211.JPG

IMG_0022209.JPG

They vary a bit in size. The breeder says the ones taking after parent stock will grow larger. i don't think you can tell anything this early. They all look good. Three of these are destined to be in the ground. More later.

That beauty in the lower right hand corner should be one of your three. Good vigor in that one, I can feel it from here. Interesting strain KK. Good choices, and it should eliminate the angst of last season, eh? Alright, let the show begin. :slide:

Subbed :thumb:

I sure did. Smaller bud. And not as mature as it should have been. But we ended up with a very nice supply of decent bud. It will supply the two of us well past harvest this year.

I'm so thrilled to read this KK. Stretching the harvest is my greatest challenge, mostly because I indulge to the extreme to move this fast. :laughtwo: I see you're collecting the crew. Good morning Conradino and Majic Jim. I already greeted you this morning Mister POTM. :hug:

Hey KK....good to see you back. Saw your post to me but it was posted on GrayTail's journal. :laughtwo: EB Stone is a top level soil mix. One of the few that actually adds "real dirt" to it. It's been around a long time & was widely used by NorCal growers before the market got flooded with so many mixes. Great for outdoors. EBS also makes a premium mix called Recipe 420 that's also excellent.
:Namaste:

I'm in, KK. I'll be over ................ here following with great interest. :cheer:

Thanks all. I'm already behind. I got the Strawberry hybrid seeds later than I should have. But they have emerged and looking good. My plan will be to put a few in the ground and a few in pots like last year. I'll go direct from the little pots you see into the ground at the appropriate time. The others, I'm thinking I will pot up to gallon pots and then into the final big ones which are about 8 gallons.

O.K. The question I'm pondering is when is the right time to put the first ones in the ground. Soon is all I know. My thinking is that I want to put them in as as soon as I think they are big enough get through any transplant shock and be able to handle the hot sun coming. Bugs, I'm not so worried about based on last year. The OOA, Out of Africa, girls are hardened off. I'm inclined to put the biggest two girls out perhaps Monday. They'll have 4 sets of true leaves by then, and we should be past the 90 degree weather we'll be having over the weekend.

Last year I didn't start the journal until after most of the decisions had been made. It is nice to put my thoughts out this time for the first time at this stage. So, I am deciding on a mix for the pots. Last year I used Patio Plus Organic Plus Outdoor Potting Mix. Anyone know anything about it. I'm on a budget so it was a good price. I added about 30% perlite and thought it worked out pretty well. But nothing to compare it to. It has some nutes. I started adding dilute nutes about 2-3 weeks after transplant. I want a commercial mix. Not really ready to do my own mix this time. Thoughts about this or alternatives?

As I think back to last year, I think I learned one thing for sure. Putting plants into the ground in my garden was an amazing thing compared to the putting them into big pots. Last year I intended to have them all in pots. But through the course of things, I ended up putting four into the ground. The first two were "gonner" tiny seedlings that looked near death. I put them into the ground as a final resting place, more or less. Within days, a miracle. They perked up and grew and grew. Later I had two that in their gallon pots turned literally almost white. I had no idea why. So I put the two in the ground. And within days they started to recover. And grew and grew. One was that big sativa I posted about last year.

In case anyone is wondering why I don't put all of the girls in the ground; it is because I live on a typical Old Portland lot of 5000 sq. feet. And I grow some food. But, I am now going to move a big flowering plant to the front of my house making room for more veg. Making roo for another cannabis. And I am not sure why a couple tomates can't live in a pot. Hmm.

Ground always wins, it's just a different level of growing.

IDK how big those current pots are, or how long they've been in there.
I'd transplant them into the ground as soon as the root balls are developed enough.

Back
Top Bottom