Kodiak Kid's Second Outdoor Grow - Out of Africa - Strawberry Hybrid - Eirdbei

Ground always wins, it's just a different level of growing.

Put them in the ground and you take advantage of the power of evolution. The fungi working in the ground are so far superior to anything we can contain in a pot that it's mind-boggling. The network that assists your plant in growing...... well, you witnessed this first hand last season KK.

The three biggest girls, all Out of Africa, could go in the ground right now but for the upcoming weather. Nice roots are present at the bottom of the 4 inch pots and showing all around the sides. Record highs of 101 and 103 expected for Sat. and Sun. Back to reasonable the first part of next week. That's when I'll do it. I'll keep them safe over the weekend.

Here's the deal. We've just had three really hot days. Basically 100, 100, 94. I ferried the girls from shade to sun to inside to avoid the hot weather but still get sun. All was perfect, until this afternoon, the wind unexpectedly kicked up an of of the elder Out of Africa girls got blew down in her pot. The stem bent over. Not sure she will make it. I'll know tomorrow. Troubling since I had 4. Now maybe 3. Need 2 girls. Shit. Will start two more tomorrow. Not a good thing as I started six. 1 didn't pop. One croaked early. Now this. 3/6 maybe. Anyway, I went forward. Put two in the ground tonight. They are the two most vigorous little girls I've had so far in two years. Both are on 4th true leaves in two weeks and have secondary growth starting at the intersections of leaves and stems. Pics manana.

Sorry, Brightlights, about the post on to GrayTail's. grow. Getting a lot of likes from that post, but no new follwers. Lol. These OOA plants are something else. Blasted out of the little pots like dynamite. Got two in the ground today. 4th set of leaves and starting secondary growth Two weeks above ground. The Strawberry hybrids started 10 days later not showing the same amazing vigor but green and growing like little seedlings should. My plan is for 6 in the ground, 4-5 in pots. Need 4 girlies. Thinking 11 minimum for that. 12? 50-50 is no guarantee, and need room for mortality as I am well capable of killing a couple. Might have lost a nice OOA to unexpected wind today. Bent her little stalk over too far. Shit.

I want to again apologize to my friends here for ending my last journal abruptly. I was dealing with some life things. You know what I mean. Everything is cool, though. I did't get to talk about what I ended up with on last year's harvest with all the late difficulties. I ended up with enough good bud to get me through to this year's harvest. Not the strength or quantity that would have happened without an early chop. Kaya Gold was awesome. It hits me in the front of my head and makes me close my eyes. Then it moves to the back of my head, I open my eyes, and everything is brighter and clearer. The freebie Sativa was way different. Not near as strong. Just a great mild sativa high. Mild euphoria, sense of well being. Doesn't put me to sleep unless I keep on it. Not strong at all but a good old fashioned high for this old guy.

If you thiink about it, it was a good combo. A keep ya going early evening smoke that wakes you up, and a later one to chill out for sleep.

Hardening the stems is one of the biggest advantage of growing in mother Earth. They have unlimited stock of silica, calcium, magnesium and so on, so in result they get stronger and very windproof. Well then there are mutants that have to be supported anyway, but I try to pick the right strains.

:high-five:
I can't count how many times my plants in 1 gal. pots have been blown over by the wind. I keep them out as early as possible. With the weather, it is inevitable. I've never had one break anything other than a small side branch. I think the wind, and being outside, toughens them up so the stems can take it. I've even had them fall over and roll down two steps. Lost soil from the pots but otherwise they were fine. I bet yours will be OK too - like an unexpected supercropping.
:goodluck:

She's still really little, in a 4 in. pot. But she looks like she will be o.k. So just a short report today. The two I put in the ground last night look good, though a few little bug bites. I'm guessing flea beetles, but I didn't see anything. Not worrisome yet. But I did spray with my all purpose garlic/pepper spray that I use on everything. The only pesticide I have ever used here in the garden. My biggest observation is that the OOA girls have the most vigor I've seen in young plants in my short experience. The two biggest ones already have 4 sets of big true leaves. They are about 6 in. tall and more surprisingly, 6 in across at about 17 days after emerging. On the other hand the Strawberry Hybrids are being pokey. They are looking green and good, but not bursting forth like the other strain. Just for extra measure I am going to start a couple more of each for good measure in case I the gender odds go south. Finally, the girls in the ground needed a bit of water since it was again 90 today. I put 1/4 strength nutes, Botanicare PBP grow in my water.

Here are pics of the two OOA in the ground. For those just picking this up these are called Out Of Africa, A South African hybrid in F9. Both are nice green. The difference in the photos is just the lighting.

IMG_009452.JPG

IMG_009962.JPG

This is the third strain I have. A lonely only. An old maid, if you will. It is Sugar Plum from Stoney Girl Gardens here in the Portland Area. The next county over from me. Last year on July 1, Oregon's "legal" day they gave away some free seeds. Pretty much got what you paid for as none of the seeds i got germinated. This year I discovered I had one left. She did pop. This is a highly regarded Sativa which is a cross between Berkeley Blues and Hawaiian Haze. I'm putting her in the ground tomorrow. Crap shoot. Let's root for her to be a girl. She's looking green and good on her fourth set of true leaves.

IMG_010357.JPG

Good luck with the Sugar Plum! It is supposed to be excellent.
I had really good luck with Pitbull last year from SGG (derived from Sugar Plum). I have no experience with your current choices or breeder.

I potted up Sugar Plum to a bigger pot. She's looking fabulous. She's going to go into one of the 8 gal. pots. Life outside is not without problems. First it has been cold and raining occasionally for several days now. The later group of seedlings, the Strawberry hybrids don't like it. The cold and esp. constant wetness. They are starting to show some ugliness in the newest growth, brownish yellow. Staying constantly wet I guess. So I potted them up, or at least in the process of it. I used the growth mix I will us in the big pots. It is only damp. I added no water for now.

Second issue is live pests. I'm nervous about that damage for another week or so. The damage occurs at night. So the last couple nights I covered them with buckets. At least that would eliminate a flying pest problem. Well this morning, I saw there were a couple tiny slugs on one of the girls in the ground. So slug abatement is in order. Should be easily done. For the one's still in small pots, I'm just going to start bringing them in at night till they grow some. The three other Out of Africas in the ground are growing a bit even with the cold. I think they are safe from random pest attacks now. Warm weather coming. 80's which should get me some good growth. I don't shivering over the seedling stage and early veg. Good can turn to bad too quickly. As a fail safe I'm starting a couple more of the Strawberry hybrid, the South African hybrid.

I did, it works.

Two weeks since the first ones have been in the ground. Three Out of Africa. The largest has stayed so. She's now about 15 inches tall an about a foot across with secondary branches forming. The other two pictured here are just a bit smaller but green and growing. They have almost tripled their size in the two weeks. The fourth in the ground was the one eaten by a slug or two. I'm hoping she will recover. They got her pretty good in one night. All the others are uppotted into gallon pots and green and growing.

IMG_024752.JPG

IMG_024651.JPG

IMG_024349.JPG

IMG_024253.JPG

All caught up now KK. Having fun, are we? :laughtwo: I'll remember the copper wire trick when I get the chance to grow outdoors someday. I'll have to make that happen.

Your plants are looking great. May they all be female.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all girls. Probably still another 5 weeks, or so, to find out. :popcorn:
:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom