Konk's 1st Grow: ON Canada

Aphid solution was just over 2 cups of solution, my bottle holds 3 cups and I see I've mixed that up. I used it misting from bottom to top under the leaves, branches and all the way up the tops.

1.6 cups warm water
.6 cup 70% rubbing alcohol
1/3 tablespoon dish soap

This morning the 2 plants look ok, or at least they survived and look fine, even good. Time will tell...and I'm not entirely sure it even worked yet.

It was 2 days ago I attempted to mimic a creature nibbling some damage to this plant #5.5.

This is another piece I broke off of plant #5. I just tossed it in water and it has stayed there...boring but still green. I rinsed the container and crushed up an asprin adding it to the water.

Say I put this in a windowsill over winter, would it sit dormant similar to the spider & aloe plants I almost kill seasonally or is it just not possible to hold them in flower in poor conditions for 8 months? If it grows anything root like, I may see for myself...

Neem Oil availability in Canada was discussed, hyjacking a thread of greenjeans, leading to helpful available products for our aphid problem.

Search "True Oils Neem (Indian lilac, Azadirachta indica) Cold Pressed Unrefined Oil 3.38 fl. oz.(100ml) anti-dandruff, skin itching and acne treatment".
The cold press unrefined part vs a serum in the beauty section.

No, like smokey, i use organic cold pressed neem oil. Mixed with soap {i use Castile soap} but you can use regular dish soap. Ratio about table spoon per gallon water, into sprayer and apply. Try now that she's flowering to selectively spray infested area. Reapply as needed.
Neem has, i think , 2.5 day half life.

Edit: per gallon of water.:bong:

Shout out of thanks @Kodiak420 for the recipe!

Biggest take away was that is maybe not a great time to use neem oil this far in or by the time it arrives...

Another tried option is Safer's Insecticidal Soap Concentrate. I think I can get that here, although the garden sections are pretty bare these days. I have one more dose worth of alcohol and some Murphy's Oil Soap to take another go before making a shopping run.

Edit: Font size out of whack

@Konks Dirt Empire that is an amazing plant you have in that bag! Despite what i have outdoors, i personally LOVE gardeners getting by with what we got. That is an exceptional idea. I started out doing these grows on the poorer/destitute side of things. I still operate that way. I am not spending good cash on certain things. Pots is one. I really like your idea.

Everything I have read about that safer soap talks about thoroughly washing and anything that will be consumed, that was sprayed with it. I would be careful with it also. Remember names like "safer" are marketing gimmicks. And there is nothing that says this is certified for organic use in Canada, even though it is marketed like that, if that bothers you.

Just my 0.02's worth... :rofl:

Keep of the good fight konk.

Everything I have read about that safer soap talks about thoroughly washing and anything that will be consumed, that was sprayed with it. I would be careful with it also. Remember names like "safer" are marketing gimmicks. And there is nothing that says this is certified for organic use in Canada, even though it is marketed like that, if that bothers you.

Just my 0.02's worth... :rofl:

Keep of the good fight konk.
.02 cents worth noted and appreciated!
I realize alcohol and soap are not great either, I am pretty sure I am going to hit them again recklessly & impulsively if the aphids are visible the day after tomorrow...probably sooner. How much is too much, do you think?

@Konks Dirt Empire that is an amazing plant you have in that bag! Despite what i have outdoors, i personally LOVE gardeners getting by with what we got. That is an exceptional idea. I started out doing these grows on the poorer/destitute side of things. I still operate that way. I am not spending good cash on certain things. Pots is one. I really like your idea.

Thank you, @Patient puffer, I have 3 plants in those reusable fabric bags and another in a recycle bin with makeshift screen. Trying as much as I can this season, I can ask for more funding for next year if I pull off the goods!

Google "hall walmart bag grow". I found this guy Larry Hall who has many videos about air pruning and massive growth. I jumped on board and MacGyverized what I had from his exceptional idea!

I joke about a home hardware style grow, but if it has to be sourced from farther away it might not arrive in time so make it work. That's how the dirt empire rolls. :rofl:

Tobacco from cigarettes mixed with water works also. Don't know the amount for medicine:yummy: but mom would unroll 3 cigarettes put tobacco in cup with warm water let steep until cool, then spray on tomato plants.
For aphids, @Enr0n?

Tobacco from cigarettes mixed with water works also. Don't know the amount for medicine:yummy: but mom would unroll 3 cigarettes put tobacco in cup with warm water let steep until cool, then spray on tomato plants.
Good call! I had forgotten all about tobacco water! Thank you for this because I’m going to spray for bugs tonight before lights out.

And I happen to be a smoker that rolls his own so I have a big old bag of Turkish tobacco. :slide:

Second night of frost last night, brought the weed wagon in and backed that biotch up myself this morning! We have showers forcasted sometime today, and I can tarp them as needed.

Fed the lot 15-30-15.
I went rogue and added 1 tablespoon of self-created of banana tea, juice or liquid to 4L or so of water, every plant got some. Maybe the aphid ahole got 2 tablespoon incase aphids really do hate bananas:bong:

I put 1 prestine yellow peel in clean water and left it in the fridge for about 2 weeks. Maybe 10 days, someone pulled it out last night asking wth was in the fridge.
Don't do this until we see how badly my impulsiveness plays out :laugh:

Originally, I went over plant #5 that has aphids, I started trimming off the leaves with groupings of bugs or likely eggy yet still mobile babies. Then my plant looked too cut up so I got the farmer's almanac recipe and misted from bottom to top the evening before last. Yesterday and today there are fewer eggs but where there are still or new eggs there are bigger aphids. I am gonna hit them again this evening with the same mixture.

Found this in a search, Tobacco Water and from what I know it works well, mom had good tomatoes.
Thanks, Enr0n, I am going to read this first! I am leaning towards a repeat just because they don't seem too phased by the mixture...

I am seeing green specs everywhere! In the grossest comparison it's like looking for green lice on green. It isn't yet an infestation like I've see online, but I don't think you can wait and see with these little ba$tards.

Anyone else go here? :laughtwo:
20200915_123932.jpg

Another interesting follow up is the asprin as a rooting agent fine print...

20200914_212234.jpg

I dumped a crushed asprin in the bottle and stuck the stem in it. :rofl: I had it labelled as compost weeks ago, but I did not follow instructions!

Well at least some of my backwoods might work. The old folks in the southern USA had different ways of doing things and I am old enough to have been taught.
I truly appreciate the tidbits, ecspecially the backwoods ones you have heard or been taught!

I hope that Simpsons bit wasn't taken as a slight, @Enr0n. Almost every buzzed thought I have runs through a Simpsons filter. In that episode Homer steals plutonium from the power plant to add to his crops. I think he had a mixed bag of tomatoes and tobacco seeds he planted.

I've checked out your journal and nothing about it says backwoods. I think I read up to 12 leaves isn't unheard of, so 9 is uncommon? Is it the strain?

We loaded up the wagon and moved the crop inside the garage for the night to avoid any potential overnight frost.

This visitor hung around for a day and a half. It could be anywhere now, took forever to find him in my direct line of sight :rofl:

Plant #2, Julie-N 21 days since pistils showed

This is plant #5, Random, patriotically showing off her shape.

Plant #5.5, Baby Rand, is a salvaged piece from plant# 5 a clone, I guess. I am going to try backbuilding this one. I think she looks like a strong spare.

Safe weekend!
#5 is a beauty...all that training is paying off and that clone my surprise ya with a nice bonus.
I hope the weather stays stable after this coming frost. Ya think you might get some colors with all the low temps?

Wrestled the girls back outside after a night in the garage to protect them from frost. It happened, not a warning, frost September 11th.

Decided that if I was a deer I wouldn't walk past plant 5.5 another week and took a run at backbuilding the bushier right side leaving the two on the left (left of the orange strings) untouched. I am ahead of the week 5 suggestion, so there is that, but I couldn't wait! I was inspired by the sunshine. It seems like maybe there is time left now that it's warm again.

Then I checked out plant #5 and eventually came across these creepy little bastards
And these
And these

@BeanTownFan420 said aphids on my gallery pic, thank you!
I can't get neem oil or at least I've looked for it and can't find a .ca version. I don't want to say that I got them all or it's even under contol, but I will definitely see in the morning if I was even near the popular part of the plant. :rolleyes:

Things took a nice turn in the evening when this mobile weed wagon got MacGyverized. I can run the whole crop into the garage and lift nothing! Reminds me that I had all the plants crowded together next to the aphid host...
Bugs suck!!! I been using spinosad.

That weed wagon would make a cool avatar..love it.

Hmm, they really are much more developed in the backbuilding link in my signature. You know, had I noticed I may not have even tried. I do not see mine getting near that size in a week. I have nothing to compare the growth to but it seems too optimistic. If these were closer to the bush something would probably nibble them. I went with the impulse, in the sunshine, that they would have time to recover if I just went for it.
:popcorn: Some lesson should come from this.
I'm interested in the method too. I did it to one of my WW buds. Not sure how long it has to finish. I'm guessing within the next two weeks. Can't hurt to try one in late flower. I like stepping out of the norm...lol

#5 is a beauty...all that training is paying off and that clone my surprise ya with a nice bonus.
I hope the weather stays stable after this coming frost. Ya think you might get some colors with all the low temps?

Thanks, it is nice to see a strong plant from a misc bag of seed. It is the one with the aphids though, I need to chill a bit and let her ride 2 whole days.

20200916_082502.jpg

20200916_082533.jpg

Looks like we are in for sunny days and cool to cold nights. I don't know about colours, I have seen them around the forum but honestly have no idea what to expect. I'm just pleased we can whip them around without much effort, looks like they are going to be moved around a lot this week.

I'm interested in the method too. I did it to one of my WW buds. Not sure how long it has to finish. I'm guessing within the next two weeks. Can't hurt to try one in late flower. I like stepping out of the norm...lol
I jumped the gun for sure, but it seems a great plant for a little experiment. :laughtwo: I think mine may go a least 6 more weeks. Halloween is about the cut off for snow...
Did you post about it? I'll be checking it out.

Back
Top Bottom