Kovach arrest turns up marijuana residue

Roachclip

PHOENIXVILLE - A Phoenixville man was arrested by police on disorderly conduct and public drunkenness charges following an alleged disturbance along Bridge Street Monday afternoon.

According to Officer Robert I. Sutton, Jr., he came into contact with Jeffrey Allen Kovach, 44, of the first block of South Robarts Drive, Phoenixville, during a report of a disturbance around 1:20 p.m. May 24.

"I was dispatched to the 600 block of Bridge Street and discovered Kovach was at that location," said Sutton. "I was informed that he was intoxicated and was refusing to leave a residence along the 500 block of Bridge Street."

Sutton said he discovered Kovach, whose father Alex Kovach is the chairman of The Official Phoenixville Democratic Committee, walking in the roadway, in traffic, and talking to himself.

"I approached him and ordered him to stop," said Sutton. "He refused and took an aggressive stance towards me. I gave him numerous commands to comply with my requests and he refused. Kovach began yelling and behaving very erratically."

After back-up arrived on the scene, Kovach was taken into custody, said Sutton.

"He began kicking towards us and using obscenities and racial slurs," said Sutton. "We were finally able to place him in a patrol car."

After transporting him to the police station, Kovach was searched by police, and Sutton said a small corn cob pipe that contained a marijuana residue was recovered.

Sutton said that Kovach had been arrested by Phoenixville Police earlier this month on a disorderly conduct charge, and he was told not to have any criminal conduct.

"We've had to respond to Kovach's residence several times for disturbances caused by Kovach," said Sutton. "On Sunday, after responding to his residence, he wanted to fight several of our officers."

Kovach is charged with disorderly conduct; possession of a controlled substance, drugs, device or cosmetic; possession of drug paraphernalia; and public drunkenness.

He was arraigned before District Justice Ted Michaels Monday afternoon and remanded to Chester County Prison on $5,000 cash bail.

Back
Top Bottom