KushMeister's First Grow, Kandy Kush, SleeSkunk, Haze

KushMeister

The Basics

What strain is it? 2 Haze, 2 SleeSkunk, 1 Kandy Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Haze (100% +/- Sativa), SleeSkunk (70% Sativa), Kandy Kush (60% Indica)
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Flower
Veg for how long? 4-5 weeks
If in Flower stage... For how long? 1 week
Indoor or outdoor? 4'x4' closet
Soil or Hydro? Dirt
If soil... what is in your mix? African violet and FFOF mix.
If soil... What size pot? 5 Gal
Size of light? 400w HPS
Is it aircooled? yes
Temp of Room/cab? mid 70's
RH of Room/cab? 35%
PH of media or res? No
Any Pests ? Gnats
How often are you watering? As needed. About 2 times a week
Type and strength of ferts used? A little of this and a little of that. Bat guano, liquid fish and kelp, urine, molasses, X-Nutrients Grow, Bloom and Micro and Bone meal so far.

I grew my fair share of pot 30 years ago as a kid, mostly outdoors, with some pretty good results. My mom taught me how to care for them and hot to pinch the tops back to get a bushier plant. Thanks Mom!

Now I'm putting all that good training to use growing MMJ for my wife and for my head stash, hopefully. I've also learned a ton on 420 Mag. I couldn't do it without you!

I got my set-up from a guy who's wife said "Not in my house you don't!" Fortunately, my wife if cool with this. She suffers from migraines, and likes the idea of growing her own meds.

When we adopted our girls, they were tiny little week old sprouts drowning in waterlogged 5 gallon pails where they had been germinated. I spent the first month trying to let them dry out.

2013-01-02_2-weeks.jpg

A week later, they were responding to the improved growing conditions.

2013-01-04_15_days.jpg

After two weeks, I new they were on their way.

2013-01-09_3_weeks.jpg

Since I have a mix of strains in a closet, I figured it would be smart to start topping the girls as soon as possible. All 5 plants were topped after the third set of real leaves showed. All of the secondary branches were then topped after two nodes. This was repeated on all top tops through week 5 when they went to flower.

I started the girls on 18/6 with a 400w MH light for the first three weeks of veg then witched over to Gas Lantern Routine for the remaining week of veg. I can't say I noticed any difference in growth, but I'm sure I will see a difference in my electric bill.

I'm calling them my girls, but so far after one week of flower they haven't shown their sex.

2013-01-22_5_weeks-2.jpg
2013-01-22_5_weeks-3.jpg
FIM_KK_1-28-13.jpg

That's where I'm at today.

Like I said above, I've learned a ton from you here at 420, so please, please check in often and give me your comments. I'm still very much a newbie, despite my 420 name. That's wishful thinking. Also feel free to post pictures of your grow so we can have some comparisons.

To keep the smell down and provide ventilation and temperature control, I installed a carbon filter.
Filter26.jpg

The fan lives on the other side of the wall in the furnace room.
Exhaust_fan3.jpg

Here's the plants today, pretty much filling up the closet.
The Haze is in the back left, Kandy Kush in front left and the two supper bushy Sleeskunks on the right. The Sleeskunks, btw, have really responded well to all the topping I've done on them. There are easily a dozen or more tops on both.
Plants37.jpg

Huge south park fan. Own all the seasons. You have some interesting stuff going on here, I'll keep an eye on this one! Reps and subed.

Welcome Northener! Thanks for your interest and reps! I hope I can keep all the different strains going but we'll see if I lose any when they show sex.

I'm a big fan of Mat and Trey in general. Saw The Book of Mormon this past summer. Very very funny.

I'll make sure to check out your journal too.

Mini Update: Day 8 of Reduced Light

The Kandy Kush has stretched the most since flipping. She was the shortest going into reduced light but has stretched the most going from 14" to 21" tall. She has the fewest nodes, longest space between nodes of all the plants. I think she's a she, but not sure yet.

Main Haze has the most mature looking tops with tight nodes and lots of little preflower growth. I'll venture a guess and say she's a she, but it's really too early to tell. She has stretched from 15" to 21" tall.

Runt Haze is playing catch-up. She is 12" tall but too immature for preflowers. Looking healthy though.

SleeSkunk 1, the busiest and tallest plant with the most tops going in to reduced light has stretched from 15" to 21". She has responded well to FIMing and pinching and is really getting bushy instead of stretching. She's putting all her energy into getting all her tops up high into the light. She has about a dozen primary tops with about 6 secondary tops one to two inches behind. Tops aren't as mature as the Haze but starting to show nice alternating nodes and what's probably the beginning of preflowers. My guess is female, but again too early to tell.

SleeSkunk 2 in size and form is nearly identical to #1, just a little less bulk and height at 20". I think this one is a male though. There are preflowers that look like balls on a stalk. I'm going to let them get a little bigger before I take more photos, but I'm fairly sure.

If #2 turns out to be male, it will be culled ASAP. On the bright side I have the other SleeSkunk and removing one plant from the closet will only help the other plants get more light, which is a good thing.

Dvda rules

[video=youtube;gZbWyH8mGi0]
[/video]

Baby, every time we kiss, Hot Lava
And every time that we make love, that's Lava, Hot Lava
It's lava so hot, it makes me sweat
And lava so warm, it's red and wet
Mountain is rumbling, We must find a safer place

Soon half of Pele, Will fall upon your face
Great Nectar of the Gods spews far from Pinatabo
Mixed with a Women's Sweat, it makes the Lava we know

Burnin' through the forest, Where Red hot lava flows
Rolls down the islands body, and into the ocean below
When it meets the cool, cool water, there's a big flow of the living
Rich magma flowing into a sobiquious environment, Produces Pillow Lava
And starts a pressure of sea water
Tends to inhabit the vesical size of the basalt

And after the eruption, you lay dormant for a while
Let's just hold each other and talk, For now, Pele sleeps
It's lava so hot, it's red and wet
And lava so warm it makes me sweat.

Update: Day 9 of Reduced Light

First the good news. We have pistis!

Here's a close up of SleeSkunk 1

slee1_pistils.jpg

Now the bad news. Both Hazes are showing preflowers and both look like males. Also, SleeSkunk 2 still looks like a male.

Kandy Kush hasn't shown me anything yet. If she isn't a she, I'll be down to one plant! But what a plant she will be, sitting right under the light and having all that room to spread out.

I haven't pulled anything yet. I'm going to wait another day or two to be sure.

any room left? I brought my beanbag chair and need a place to put it:)

:rip::sorry:

Thanks man!

I'm keeping the clippers close by. I have a feeling it's not going to be a pretty weekend.

The SleeSkunk was easy to call as it had been preflowering the longest and I had another to compare to. I'm about 75% sure the two Hazes are also male. The Kandy just started preflowering today but it's way too early to call.

Back
Top Bottom