Kushtie - ShortStuff Autos In NFT

Thanks guys :)

It was a mate that convinced me to start with NFT by selling me one of the 20 litre NFT systems as he now uses a much bigger one.

I'm liking the smaller systems.....they seem pretty good for running one plant at a time and with buffered nutes I'm sure would be easier to maintain. With a res for each plant I can see what each plant is doing and can feed their individual requirements....I messed up a bit with the green one as I should have run veg nutes for longer than the pink one but if they had both been in the same res that would not have been an option.

There's loads of growth enhancers and stuff I haven't tried yet too. :)

The big camera is a Canon DSLR and a macro lens....and a macro flash ;)

Thanks guys, that means a lot to me.

Just finished chopping the one I think they call Auto Pink Grapefruit but maybe Auto Red Diesel would be more accurate based on the smell while trimming and the taster bud last week. I expect to enjoy smoking it even more than I enjoyed ShortStuff's Russian Rocket Fuel and I liked that enough to buy more seeds twice.

Wet weight was closer to 1.5kg than the 1kg I was hoping it would be so am hopeful I might get my first half pound plant. Doubt it will be as much as as I got off doing 4 of the Russian Rocket Fuel in the same tank but it was only one Auto Pink Grapefruit and there was far less popcorn.

And I didn't trim any of it...I only used scissors to chop branches off the plant and my mate started trimming. When I finished chopping down I started prepping for the scissor trim by pulling big leaves off by hand and my buddy was trimming pretty much as fast as I could de-fan. Took less than a couple of hours and I didn't get close to that weird sicky frustrated feeling I can get when trimming.

Pics tomorrow. ..getting well rattled now :)

Few wee camera pics:

mix2401-1.jpg

mix2401-2.jpg

mix2401-3.jpg

Wow, I'm glad I did not miss this grow, fantastic buds some of the best I've seen.

Cheers

I did nft after a wee grow in soil. Tried soil as a wee starter and to get me accustomed. Nft does grow big and quick. I had a 70L tank (i think) and was big enough to grow 6 plants although 4 would have been better. Changing the tank was a nightmare. Had to take out the top section, sit that out, take the res to the bathroom (took 2 if us to carry it), empty and refill. Although i had an EC pen and (i think) a PH pen or PH strips (had them to start with) i didnt constantly check both and made minor adjustments when i needed to along the way when it was way out. Kushtie seems to have nailed it and keeps on top of it well. I can vouch his weed is top notch and once he masters drying and curing it will be even better. Anything i have tried is always stinky stuff.

Didnt know you could get tanks that small. Be good if you could get another couple of small tanks in there and either a bigger light or another 600W. Only problem with bigger lights or more lights is the power consumption and heat issues. Using cool tubes for the light(s) would combat the heat issues. Install solar panels and energy usage isnt an issue :)

Ok, so my half pound finger in the air guesstimate for the APG might be a little off.

Any of you guys care to hazard a guess at what I should have been expecting? I've had it drying 3 and a half days, RH has dropped to 51% and the buds are dry enough to grind.

Time to weigh it? I've just weighed some of it to get an idea after trimming excess stalk and getting it in a tub for burping and curing.

From 1.5kg wet weight and now you done a bit more trimming i would of hazarded a guess of around 250g once fully dried and cured, perhaps a wee bit less. But 250g is half a pound (1kg = 2.2lb). Normally you could say wet bud will lose 75-80% of that weight whilst drying, and curing will result in minimal weight loss. I would be surprised if you ended up with under 200g although that still a good amount of bud from 3 months of growing an auto.

Did you cut off the water supply 2 days before chopping and leave it in the dark for that 2 day period?

Dry enough to grind after 3.5 days sounds about right but i would still leave it to dry a bit longer. You need a stem to snap and not bend before starting to cure. If you really want to go all out for curing get some glass mason jars and small hygrometers to go inside them. That will give you a constant measure of the RH inside the jars and glass is much better than plastic. Keep RH in the jars around 45% and you'll be sorted. If you see any moisture inside the jars while curing then take out the buds and dry a bit more (a few hours should do). If you dont then you could lose your crop to mould. You've mastered the art of growing, now you just need to master the art of drying and curing, not that there has been any problems in the past (especially from what i have sampled - and you do grow some good sh*t) but most people still learn something (even experienced growers).

When do you chop your other baby?

Take your time on drying. I lost 2 jars to mold during cure cuz I Jared to soon. Cheers

No worries guys.....it's still on the rack. The little bits I put in a tub went soft again so hopefully I just slowed the drying process on them as we're down to 47% RH and they were starting to feel a little too crispy on the outside.

Did I mention I got a bit of concentrated Amnesia Hash to tide me over? It came down from the mountains in Morocco as dust in a bag, was then frozen before being beaten with a rubber mallet and put through a 75 micron screen. Seems to be pretty good but it's a pain trying to roll a joint with it.....will do pics with my close up lens for the eye candy thread later :)

Cant rush drying but sounds as though you got it under control. I learned a lot with my grows and learned a shed load while researching growing on the net. Plenty of forums too. It surprising how much i take in and draw my own conclusion. Tried and tested methods are the ones to learn from as they work and put your own spin on them as you learn.

Some amount if garble there. Had a bubble hash cookie an hour and a half ago. Wasted!

Also just on another note - have you ever heard of bud washing? There is a big thread on here about it. It involves running the branches through buckets of: lemon juice and baking soda mixed with water; then a bucket of plain water. Loss of trichs is supposed to be minimal as you gently swirl the branches in the buckets and then hang to drip dry then dry as normal. It is supposed to rid the buds of dust etc and speeds up the drying process and makes it a nicer smoke. Have a read of it when you get tine but there is over 80 pages of replies. I havent done it as only found out about it during my last grow and seen as i didnt end up with much the couldnt test out the theory. Suppose if i had a lot i could have done side by side comparisons and see if it works or not.

Did I mention the more like 1.5kg wet was just the big buds on the tray as pictured?.....there was still a couple of piles of smaller buds that I didn't weigh wet as it was probably more weight in stalk than bud(like the pile behind the tray of wet buds).

So before I start digging into it too much.....

Weight of empty tub is 193.55:
tubweight-1.jpg

1st full tub weighs 355.5 - 193.55 = 161.95g
apgweight-1.jpg

2nd full tub weighs 384.7 - 193.55 = 191.15g
apgweight-2.jpg

Just been digging into popcorn last couple of days and there is still some left too:
apgweight-3.jpg

I make that 353.1g.....over 12 ounces!:thanks::420:

Back
Top Bottom