L4BW's First Box - Inconspicuous Grow

IMG_20140213_211217_397.jpg
IMG_20140213_211225_965.jpg
IMG_20140214_215922_224.jpg

Hey folks so here we are @ week 3 of this little adventure, plants are still doing OK I guess. Got some tips turning brown on the oldest leaves. The yellowing on the oldest plant has stopped but a greyish tinge/metallic sheen has taken over...I'm seeing as they get older they are telling me more and more but I just don't understand what they are saying yet..I did go out tonight and picked up some new soil and perlite with 2 gal pots so I have a project tommorrow ...I'll post some more infor on the soil tomorrow.. anywho lemme know your thoughts/ opinions.

GREAT GREEN EVENING L4AbetterWay . . :welcome: . . TO . . :420:

SUBSCRIBED . . . . + REPS . . . . :passitleft:

JUST FOR THINKING YOUR CAPABLE OF GROWING CANNABIS . . . . :laugh:

L4AbetterWay CHECKOUT MR. Spimps MICRO GROW HE TALKS ABOUT ODOR AND TEMP CONTROL + HE FIMed AND USED LST

HERE's THE LINK Spimps 2013 1st Grow - Ghetto Micro

I WOULDN'T SAY "GOOD LUCK" . . :hmmmm:

SINCE LUCK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCIENCE OF GROWING CANNABIS IF YOU ASK ME . . . . ;)

ALTHOUGH I PRAY THAT YOU SIR, HAVE GOOD CANNABIS KARMA . . :laugh: . . :laugh: . . :biglaugh: . . :rofl:

MY GREENNESS REGARDS TO ALL AT :420:
:Namaste: . . . . SMOKE IT IF YOU GOT IT . . :roorrip: . . :biglaugh:

IMG_20140218_213215_940.jpg
IMG_20140218_213239_979.jpg
IMG_20140218_213306_094.jpg
IMG_20140218_213317_446.jpg
Hey y'all, it is day 27 since i placed th germinated seeds into soil. the girls have taken to the transplant nicley I don't think they skipped a beat. I managed to find some decent soil at Lowes called "just natural" idk if anyone has used it but there's little to no big chunks of bark. Mixed with ~50% perlite(mg was all they had and notes were minimal) I planted them in 2g containers which is there final home. I only have room for 2 plants in the box so I yanked #3 I felt bad but she didn't make the cut.

I also did a little training on plant 1, I ran across a page were I read that instead of fim or top you take they new grown and kind of jus pluck it out leaving the "Y" with no growth and no stem like with topping. Well see how it works.

Good, your plants are small but look mature for their age. Which is good. Check that bag of soil and see if it has added nutes already. If it has an NPK rating (5-10-5) or so ething like that we can determine when to start nutes etc. I think the issues before was that rough mulch soil you were using. In the future avoid miracle grow or just about any soil from Lowes lol. Try a nurserie or local garden store for some good stuff.

Hello L4AbetterWay,

I just looked at your soil mix here Jolly Gardener Products, Inc. to see the contents and thought to ask did you add anything to it? Or are you using it straight out of the bag?
The reason I ask is because there are very few potting soils that you can buy in stores that are complete enough to grow cannabis. It's a VERY hungry plant!

Your soil is composed of peat which will gradually acidify over time, causing your pH to drop, potentially causing nutrients to be locked out as, as certain nutrients are only available within a certain range of pH. To neutralize the acidity of the peat you must add some lime to the soil. Ideally you want to have your soil and everything ready before you have everything else ready, but like you, I didn't know this when I began, so now you know! The soil is something you don't wanna skimp on if you don't have to. Then again, it only needs to drain well if you plan on feeding the plants with synthetic nutes.

I'm an organic guy, so I don't "feed" my plants with nutes, so maybe someone else can help you in that regard because it looks like you should be feeding by now. I say so judging by the leaves on the last plant pictured. The first one looks happy for sure tho.
I put everything in my soil so that it's complete and capable of nourishing the plants without me feeding anything.

But try and find some dolomite lime or you're gonna run into problems growing in the peat.
If you want to go the organic route, looks for some Espoma Tomato Tone and Neptune's Harvest Fish Hydrolysate. Not Fish Emulsion!
A bag of compost would be a good idea as well, this is you wanna go organic.
Those three things can get you through this run in an organic fashion.
If you have a Home Depot near you can pick these things up.

Otherwise, it's time for you to go shopping for nutes to feed your plants.
You'll def. want some dolomite lime tho! As the peat breaks down, it'll acidify which will lower your pH

Good luck brother. I'm new here on this forum, but I'll be around!

:peace:

Good, your plants are small but look mature for their age. Which is good. Check that bag of soil and see if it has added nutes already. If it has an NPK rating (5-10-5) or so ething like that we can determine when to start nutes etc. I think the issues before was that rough mulch soil you were using. In the future avoid miracle grow or just about any soil from Lowes lol. Try a nurserie or local garden store for some good stuff.
To my knowledge it has no added nutes.

Hello L4AbetterWay,

I just looked at your soil mix here Jolly Gardener Products, Inc. to see the contents and thought to ask did you add anything to it? Or are you using it straight out of the bag?
The reason I ask is because there are very few potting soils that you can buy in stores that are complete enough to grow cannabis. It's a VERY hungry plant!

Your soil is composed of peat which will gradually acidify over time, causing your pH to drop, potentially causing nutrients to be locked out as, as certain nutrients are only available within a certain range of pH. To neutralize the acidity of the peat you must add some lime to the soil. Ideally you want to have your soil and everything ready before you have everything else ready, but like you, I didn't know this when I began, so now you know! The soil is something you don't wanna skimp on if you don't have to. Then again, it only needs to drain well if you plan on feeding the plants with synthetic nutes.

I'm an organic guy, so I don't "feed" my plants with nutes, so maybe someone else can help you in that regard because it looks like you should be feeding by now. I say so judging by the leaves on the last plant pictured. The first one looks happy for sure tho.
I put everything in my soil so that it's complete and capable of nourishing the plants without me feeding anything.

But try and find some dolomite lime or you're gonna run into problems growing in the peat.
If you want to go the organic route, looks for some Espoma Tomato Tone and Neptune's Harvest Fish Hydrolysate. Not Fish Emulsion!
A bag of compost would be a good idea as well, this is you wanna go organic.
Those three things can get you through this run in an organic fashion.
If you have a Home Depot near you can pick these things up.

Otherwise, it's time for you to go shopping for nutes to feed your plants.
You'll def. want some dolomite lime tho! As the peat breaks down, it'll acidify which will lower your pH

Good luck brother. I'm new here on this forum, but I'll be around!

I checked that link and the product shown is not what I have the soil I chose does have some lime in it its the last ingredient which usually means it has the least %...and it is mixed with roughly 50% MG perlite with <1% npk.I thought I was going crazy thinking they were short ...thank you for saving my sanity.

Hmm, Ok, I guess I got a little ahead of myself trying to help out! I did a Bing search on what you said you had and posted the first thing I found. But ok.
And for future reference, you have to rinse to MG perlite before using it, or better yet, avoid it like ShrubHub suggested.
You don't want slow release products like that because you want control.
But judging by the look of the plants, or the second one so to speak, your pH is off.

And since you're not organic, you just need to develop a good base soil that drains well, but not too fast.
Anyways, good luck and see ya around.

Hey L4,

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your grow! I myself started like you not too long ago.
this site and the ppl here are so helpful! I started in soil and did a micro grow on my 1st run. then my second
i switch to hydro (DWC -Deep Water Culture). Im now on my 3rd grow, 2nd DWC. I was drawn to your journal by
Your title. I also like to "hide" (for a lack of a better word) my grow. I built my own cabinet, cloner, air filter, etc.
check out my grows and if you have any questions ask away.

Keep it green! :goodjob:

Hmm, Ok, I guess I got a little ahead of myself trying to help out! I did a Bing search on what you said you had and posted the first thing I found. But ok.
And for future reference, you have to rinse to MG perlite before using it, or better yet, avoid it like ShrubHub suggested.
You don't want slow release products like that because you want control.
But judging by the look of the plants, or the second one so to speak, your pH is off.

And since you're not organic, you just need to develop a good base soil that drains well, but not too fast.
Anyways, good luck and see ya around.

Thank you proper green for taking the time to check out my journal and the bing search. I think the biggest obstacle for new growers is trying to go through ALL the information on the web. You get pulled in a hundred different directions. I have not decided on which path to go next time around organic or dwc but I'll definitely be checking out your grow for any inspiration/information.

Hey L4,

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your grow! I myself started like you not too long ago.
this site and the ppl here are so helpful! I started in soil and did a micro grow on my 1st run. then my second
i switch to hydro (DWC -Deep Water Culture). Im now on my 3rd grow, 2nd DWC. I was drawn to your journal by
Your title. I also like to "hide" (for a lack of a better word) my grow. I built my own cabinet, cloner, air filter, etc.
check out my grows and if you have any questions ask away.

Keep it green! :goodjob:
Thanks for stopping by, I'll def take a look.

Can anyone recommend a pH meter. Preferably one you have experience with and not "I heard (insert brand) was a good"

You can spend 30-40$ on one here in the US, but they will break quickly.
I went through 2 of these, before I got a BlueLab pen for $100. at the hydro shop.
Best tester I've used, it's lighted, foolproof to calibrate, waterproof, and has a great warranty.

IMG_20140225_192344_730.jpg
IMG_20140225_192414_110.jpg
IMG_20140225_192814_861.jpg
IMG_20140225_192436_877.jpg
Hello people of 420mag, lots of exciting stuff ( for this guy) since my last update. I think I have got the pH thing figured out. I decided to not get a digital pH meter and concentrated on using the tools already at my disposal, not saying I won't ever get one but well see how this grow plays out.
Plant one seems to have taken to her training well and has shown much better growth this past week. On Saturday I attempted to FIM #2 but I think I missed the mark. I gave them both light nutes with there last h2o, will gradually increase it ( I really don't wanna be "that guy" that killed his plants with love).
Im thinking I want to start some LST on #1 since she appears to be healthiest and new growth is getting tall. #2 seems healthy but a lighter shade of green. Strain type maybe? Or needs more nutes . Too much of a noon at this point to know either way.

Sorry for the poor paragraph structure so far this whole journal has been done from my phone.

the top on the plant in the first picture is well done, The attempted FIM on the other looks to be a fail. How do you want the plants to fill your space? Do you want a continuous supply of multiple colas? if thats the case continue topping at the second node each time to get the lower nodes to excite growth and have the tops split over and over for main colas. If you want to encourage lots of undergrowth and get multiple main colas from the lower nodes on the plant then LST would be better. I would judge this by your overall grow space. If you have lots of room for the plant to bush out like crazy go with topping. If you want to manipulate the plant to only grow a few dense colas in a confined area go with LST. You can use a combination of both but have a plan instead of just hacking and twisting a plant. This will take you much further with better results. I grew my first plants with minimal topping or straight natural growth just to get a better idea of how the plant grows without intervention.

Back
Top Bottom