LA Confidential 1st Grow

buddz

Just took home 3 LA Confidential clones from a local dispensary about 4 days ago. Got my 400W HPS setup in my closet. Growing in 80% foxfarm organic soil 20% perlite and have been feeding once daily using water from my 40 gallon fish tank and have been giving foxfarm grow big nutrients every other day. I have been fighting some high temperatures but I think they are under control now with my fans and ventalation, seems to be staying under 90 degrees. I have my lights on 18/6. 2 of the clones look like they are doing well with some new leaves growing in the few days I have had them, but one of them has some wilted leaves with some yellowing. Any advice is greatly appreciated considering that this is my first attempt at growing.

2010-08-23203054.jpg

2010-08-23203108.jpg

2010-08-23203116.jpg

2010-08-23203136.jpg

2010-08-23203045.jpg

:welcome: buddz!

Looking good on the setup and the clones. Very nice and those clones look great!!!

Ever thought of adding some CFL's to the mix. They provide a great spectrum that is usable for the least cost. I like to to veg under fluoros and bloom under HPS, but that's just my style. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I was thinking about adding some CFLs or possibly a couple T5s any suggestions to which one would be better?

CFL's add more concentrated light while T5's provide more light potentially. However T5's also have a lot of wasted light and therefore are less efficient according to some growers. Its more of a personal preference, but I use both as seen here...

(2) 4' T5 w/40W cool white tubes and 3 46W CFL's for my veg & clone setup, adding more CFL's tomorrow and maybe changing 1 of the tubes to daylight...
IMG00334-20100818-1449.jpg

Been busy and also having computer problems, but finally am able to update. My ladies have taken off. I switched the light to 12/12 for flowering about 5 days ago. I am currently giving them fox farm big bloom nutrients every other water, and am still watering with water from my fish tank. Any suggestions for other nutes that I can use for flowering? Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20100914_220406.jpg

IMG_20100914_220322.jpg

Looks great Buddz and :welcome: to 420!

Fish tank water seems to be paying dividends! I'm guessing it's packed full of nitrates and other goodies!
Since they're taking off you can use the Big Bloom w/ every watering and add Fox Farm Tiger Bloom with the Big Bloom every other watering.
Keeping it simple is a great thing and you're nailing it!
You may also see lower temps by taking the small fan off the wall and placing it on the floor in the spot between the three ladies and point it up.
It should push cool air from the floor up thru the canopy which will stimulate the plants while at the same time keep hot air near the top of the space where it can be evacuated. :goodluck:

I agree with bandit. Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom combo is a nice supplement and the fish tank water seems to have plenty of N to make up for the lack of it in the Fow Farm combo. Those leaves are super green even under the HPS. Just be careful not to overdo the nutes. I wouldn't necessarily move to full time nutes just yet and ease your way in at 1/4 concentration with the Tiger Bloom and check for any changes before going gung-ho. That's just my opinion because I had to chop a plant early from going crazy with the nutes. The leaves started to burn almost instantly when I started full time and the hairs all turned brown about a month too soon and she started to wilt. The other 2 in the room seem to be doing fine with 100% nutes but each plant has a different tolerance.

Great looking plants and keep up the good work.

I agree with bandit. Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom combo is a nice supplement and the fish tank water seems to have plenty of N to make up for the lack of it in the Fow Farm combo. Those leaves are super green even under the HPS. Just be careful not to overdo the nutes. I wouldn't necessarily move to full time nutes just yet and ease your way in at 1/4 concentration with the Tiger Bloom and check for any changes before going gung-ho. That's just my opinion because I had to chop a plant early from going crazy with the nutes. The leaves started to burn almost instantly when I started full time and the hairs all turned brown about a month too soon and she started to wilt. The other 2 in the room seem to be doing fine with 100% nutes but each plant has a different tolerance.

Great looking plants and keep up the good work.

Good call Herbsnbuds! I should have included using the nutes at minimum strength when applied with every watering and yes be very careful w/ Tiger Bloom. 1tsp (5mil) per gallon is usually more than enough.

Thanks everyone for all of the help! I moved one of my fans to the middle of the plants and pointed it upward. Also just got back from my local grow shop with some Tiger Bloom. I will start adding that in tomorrow when I water. Hopefully I can get some good finished product.

Any idea what kind of yield i should expect from plants this size?

Been a long day, time to unwind :roorrip:
Safe smoking out there!

-Buddz

There really is no telling at this point. Plus every plant grows its flowers differently. All I can say is if you keep the plants looking that healthy, the yield will be maxed out.
:welldone:

Took a few more pictures yesterday with the hps light off. The color in these pictures look much better but they are a little blurry cause they were taken with a phone. Starting to see a few white hairs here and there. :grinjoint:

IMG_20100916_124508.jpg

IMG_20100916_124458.jpg

IMG_20100916_124418.jpg

I let them grow natural being my first attempt at growing. I didn't want to mess anything up. My next grow I will definitely try to top my plants because these ones are much taller than I expected. I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with the fact that I vegged with a HPS? Not sure though..

My main goal with this grow was just to get some experience, give it a shot, and try to get some decent smokeable product. As long as I can do that I will be happy. lol

Day ten of flowering and I'm starting to see some nice buds coming along. Been giving them fox farm big bloom with every watering now and tiger bloom every other. The plant on the back right seems to have the most buds on it. Was noticing some dead looking leaves on the bottom of the plants so I am thinking about doing some trimming tomorrow. Any pointers on what to trim and what not to trim?

Thanks for all of the help so far!

Here are a few pictures of the new buds.

IMG_20100919_190005.jpg

IMG_20100919_190811.jpg

IMG_20100919_190829.jpg

Day 17 of flower and there are buds everywhere! took some dead leaves off of the bottoms. I have noticed that because of the big fan leaves many of the buds and leaves underneath are not growing as fast. Is it recommended to trim some of these bigger fan leaves? Any input it appreciated!

-Buddz :tokin:
tmpphpljTPjc.jpg
tmpphpWRCLRv.jpg
tmpphpCGnFhm.jpg
tmpphpGDNSN0.jpg
tmpphpd0naRi.jpg

those are looking great man

everything i have read says NO do not cut the fan leaves but seein as im on my first grow aswell i dont kno from exp.

good luck with the rest of your grow lookin forward to seein em finish

Back
Top Bottom