Lakeside Sandy Soil?

Curly Beaver

Would SANDY shoreline on a freshwater lake be out of the question for growing? I have a place in mind that is about 18" above the water level. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to start adding manure and other additives or just bury a pre-filled smart pot. I have read that many areas of the world are SANDY but grow excellent cannabis crops. Does anyone have experience growing Lakeside and what all would I need to do to get the soil prepped for spring? The roots would have access to all the water they could use almost immediately so I don't think the fast drainage would be a problem.
Thanks.

Would SANDY shoreline on a freshwater lake be out of the question for growing? I have a place in mind that is about 18" above the water level. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth it to start adding manure and other additives or just bury a pre-filled smart pot. I have read that many areas of the world are SANDY but grow excellent cannabis crops. Does anyone have experience growing Lakeside and what all would I need to do to get the soil prepped for spring? The roots would have access to all the water they could use almost immediately so I don't think the fast drainage would be a problem.
Thanks.

Thoughts on sandy soil like this?

I read this when you first posted it, but it's hard to say. I think, if I were in your position I would dig a big hole and fill it with good quality potting soil or garden soil and plant your plant in that. The sand will be good for drainage and you might have to water more often because of that, but I would look at that as a good thing as long as I had the time to take care of it. Also, you should make sure that it's high enough from the water line that when the high water comes in the spring and summer, so your plant isn't under the water line.

I read this when you first posted it, but it's hard to say. I think, if I were in your position I would dig a big hole and fill it with good quality potting soil or garden soil and plant your plant in that. The sand will be good for drainage and you might have to water more often because of that, but I would look at that as a good thing as long as I had the time to take care of it. Also, you should make sure that it's high enough from the water line that when the high water comes in the spring and summer, so your plant isn't under the water line.

Thank you for the reply. It is a beautiful day so I grabbed my shovel & wheelbarrow and prepped two decent sized holes about 30" deep then filled them with composted material and topped them off with pellitized lime. If any nutrient's leach out into the soil over the winter I'll be further ahead plus in the spring there will be more curious neighbors. Now that the top layer has been removed (about 12 inches of various roots) the hard part is done so in the spring I can either dig some out and replace it with decent soil or plop a Smart Pot down in the hole. I like having choices.

I ended up using just one of the holes I prepped last fall, but here are a couple of pics of a GDP clone in a 20 gallon smart pot.
GDP318.jpg
GDP137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom