Landrace Durban Poison Outdoor Grow

Transkei plants looking great brother! They seem to be doing well with the cold weather.

Transkei plants looking great brother! They seem to be doing well with the cold weather.
Thanks irie. They are chugging along. I'm going to move a few indoors to speed things up. They will join the others in the breeding spot until they can be sexed then pollinated then put outside to flower and finish the seeds up. Man it's been kak the last few days. 3 cold fronts back to back. You must be freezing hard your side.

So a quickie update. Been cold af and Gale force winds last days. There should be a break in the weather once the front passes... should be. Meh. Some pics of the flowering cuts .. first Sticky then wild Durban and then a cut of Sticky which is throwing purple stipules . Then Miss Sticky and wild Durban testing my patience in the box. Don't want to go wider too much as I still have a month and a half to go before going outside. Have some cleaning up to do just not the time. Peace
IMG_20190730_150505.jpg
IMG_20190730_150527.jpg
IMG_20190730_150557.jpg
IMG_20190730_150127.jpg
IMG_20190730_150147.jpg

So when are you gonna pollinate?

So when are you gonna pollinate?
Hey man. The transkei's whenever they are mature. Guessing a month until ready then they will go outside to finish. The weather should be milder then. Surprised they are still growing. Tough plants.
I've dropped about 30 seeds of my original Durbans from 3 different areas and as soon as they are up I'll do the same with the Malawi. Then when I've selected I'll open pollinate the Durban first and then the Malawi. I've also dropped some beans from my last breeding project to back cross with their mothers. I've been given the go ahead to use as much space as I want for seed production so ill be upgrading as I go. I'm due to refresh my strains from Tanzania and Botswana. It's been a while since I've done either. You know what it's like when you find some keepers and get distracted. Hah. Can't grow if you don't sow. :)

Nice variety Lerugged.
Glad to see the Transkei in there. I am hoping to see some dignity restored to a strain that has got a bit of a bad rap due to shoddy growing. I will pop some seeds in the spring

Looking good man, saw this today: ‘Intsangu’ is the king in Mpondoland

Hopefully not a deal to just enrich the king but could be a good start.
I mean.... he put forward his own farm so.... besides the manual labour for min bucks...I don't see the love being shared..
TIA after all. All it takes is for some honest people to have the Will to do what needs to be done. There is gold in these hills of Africa. sadly when money is involved seldom do the really needy benefit. I am privileged, and enterprising enough to make a success and assist a few others. The only thing that gives me an edge is the fact that I have pure genetics which are no longer to be found here. I believe the trend Will go back to landraces as strains become boring and similar. The medicinal value is huge. Anyways rambling .
Sun's out. Peace

I mean.... he put forward his own farm so.... besides the manual labour for min bucks...I don't see the love being shared..
TIA after all. All it takes is for some honest people to have the Will to do what needs to be done. There is gold in these hills of Africa. sadly when money is involved seldom do the really needy benefit. I am privileged, and enterprising enough to make a success and assist a few others. The only thing that gives me an edge is the fact that I have pure genetics which are no longer to be found here. I believe the trend Will go back to landraces as strains become boring and similar. The medicinal value is huge. Anyways rambling .
Sun's out. Peace

Yeah some follow up research shows the King to be pretty dodgy. Tried to sign a mining deal with them too, luckily the recent CC ruling gives him fok all powers to do so. On the positive side the Agri department in EC is getting its butt into gear to do feasibility studies on growing and exports there. That alone is pretty huge, they are at least taking steps.

And personally I'm not sure about landraces taking over unless you do manage to find some gold. On the medicinal side some could have high levels of the cannabanoids they are looking for but soon they'l be making them in labs from the looks of things. Even the weakest strains I've grown so far have been better and more potent. Even really well grown, selected landraces don't compare but that's just my personnel opinion. Had mates in Cape Town who I sent some landrace buds to cause I didn't even want to smoke them and they said it was the best shit ever..... maybe the air down there helps the potency when you smoke it? :blunt:

So Sun's out. It's wake and bake Saturday.
Another pearler day here in Cape Town. Off to explore Tulbagh for the day. Been here 9 years and still something new to discover every month.
Have a wonderful day! Just finishing up my day here in BC, 12:21 am and I'll be done work by 3 am!
Have a wonderful weekend!

It's a lovely day brother, i'm out to hike Helerberg reserve with my lady - lekka weather. Enjoy Tulbagh!

I believe the trend Will go back to landraces as strains become boring and similar
Yes! I didn't have access to weed for over 30 years. I'm up in a log cabin in the woods and honestly no one even near these parts will part with a gram of weed, it's too damned hard to get. So now that it is legal in this state and I've started growing I realize that about 80 percent of the 'new' strains are all either heavy body stone or happy breakfast quick high. Nothing even resembling what I was able to try in the 70s. The cerebral aspects seem to be gone, the candy flavours and so forth don't mean a thing to me... I'm seeing all these crosses for medicinal use. I grew out some Amnesia because it is supposed to be reminiscent of the 'old' strains but it isn't, really. So anyone growing, preserving and maintaining the old strains has my vote and my full support. Let's keep Big Brother Corp Inc. away from manipulating this into a bland, boring 'product'.

Yes! I didn't have access to weed for over 30 years. I'm up in a log cabin in the woods and honestly no one even near these parts will part with a gram of weed, it's too damned hard to get. So now that it is legal in this state and I've started growing I realize that about 80 percent of the 'new' strains are all either heavy body stone or happy breakfast quick high. Nothing even resembling what I was able to try in the 70s. The cerebral aspects seem to be gone, the candy flavours and so forth don't mean a thing to me... I'm seeing all these crosses for medicinal use. I grew out some Amnesia because it is supposed to be reminiscent of the 'old' strains but it isn't, really. So anyone growing, preserving and maintaining the old strains has my vote and my full support. Let's keep Big Brother Corp Inc. away from manipulating this into a bland, boring 'product'.
Well said, I agree 100%. Look at ACE, they have a great selection of landraces and original hybrids, lots of unique highs to had from them. There are other breeders too who preserve the old school strains.

Aside from a few quick specific auto strains I am really hoping to target those oldschool and landraces. Now that I've looked over the market and mania out there and knowing what I know about old strains of roses (I have an antique rose from the 1560s (yep), I know what happens when the originals start being hybridized. It often cripples some aspect of their health. One new hybrid will be totally susceptible to fungus, another to virus, another to root virus; and all the while they are dumping chemical after new chemical on them to keep them going they are completely ignoring the hardiness and evolutionary disease resistance the originals had. Of course it has to do with not growing a plant in an environment not suited to it in the first place, but that's another whole discussion. You just can't let the old subtle, complex genetics get erased, you'll never know what you might be missing out on.

Aside from a few quick specific auto strains I am really hoping to target those oldschool and landraces. Now that I've looked over the market and mania out there and knowing what I know about old strains of roses (I have an antique rose from the 1560s (yep), I know what happens when the originals start being hybridized. It often cripples some aspect of their health. One new hybrid will be totally susceptible to fungus, another to virus, another to root virus; and all the while they are dumping chemical after new chemical on them to keep them going they are completely ignoring the hardiness and evolutionary disease resistance the originals had. Of course it has to do with not growing a plant in an environment not suited to it in the first place, but that's another whole discussion. You just can't let the old subtle, complex genetics get erased, you'll never know what you might be missing out on.

Word, man :passitleft:

Somebody gets it.

1560 rose.. got a pic??

My last home I grew a rose called American Beauty. I was a dead head in the 70s lol.

Anyway the rose would only bloom if the local Barometric pressure took a quick dip as incoming storms approached. So local severe weather incoming, the rose would bloom, then the hard rains would beat down the flower petals and no more flower.

The rose was a beautiful light blue.

Man I miss that flower. I left it behind. The guy that moved in was a landscaper.

Back
Top Bottom