Landrace Genetics 101

Thank you. There's no decent smokable bud on them though. They are covered with seeds. I was doing an open pollination to make a new batch of seeds.
I'd smoke what was left after de-seeding! :lot-o-toke:

I'd smoke what was left after de-seeding! :lot-o-toke:
I'm sure I'll be smoking on the larf, but that's about all that there'll be. They're pretty thoroughly seeded.

Speaking of the Mulanje. I was checking on them today and noticed an anise smell coming through in the #2 plant as it's drying. Very nice mixed with the creamy lime. I'm looking forward to exploring this strain.

I'm sure I'll be smoking on the larf, but that's about all that there'll be. They're pretty thoroughly seeded.

Speaking of the Mulanje. I was checking on them today and noticed an anise smell coming through in the #2 plant as it's drying. Very nice mixed with the creamy lime. I'm looking forward to exploring this strain.
I'd say land races from the mountains areas area of of Malawi are the most potent and most interesting of all the Malawi's. One of my absolute favourite strains. I'll be throwing a couple wild seeds out this spring for sure for some breeding, selection and seed production. I've not had anise in Malawi but the cream lime (I call it lemon meringue pie) is one of the best scents that come through. I'm also very fond of the dried mango and Apple scents but I find that mostly on the purple malawi phenos.

I'd say land races from the mountains areas area of of Malawi are the most potent and most interesting of all the Malawi's. One of my absolute favourite strains. I'll be throwing a couple wild seeds out this spring for sure for some breeding, selection and seed production. I've not had anise in Malawi but the cream lime (I call it lemon meringue pie) is one of the best scents that come through. I'm also very fond of the dried mango and Apple scents but I find that mostly on the purple malawi phenos.
I've got a purple pheno of Malawi I've had running for a couple of years now that has a lovely mix of grape, chocolate, and other fruity flavors.

I've got a purple pheno of Malawi I've had running for a couple of years now that has a lovely mix of grape, chocolate, and other fruity flavors.
Yep that sounds about right. It's a goodie that one. There is another less common pheno that smells like straight up lemon and grapefruit rind and earth. Very earthy. Only found it a few times and hoping for it again. It doesn't purple (that I've found) but the high is instant and can be devastating if you don't know what to expect. Euphoric clean and a little trippy but it goes on for what feels like hours. It's a great one for waking and baking and then hitting the beach for a surf.

Mine was extremely exotic... in fact I never had anything like that before or after. It was like spicy jasmine oil! Very pungent!

All this talk of African Cannabis smells is making me drool, One of my Mulanje phenos clearly had the most destinctive fragrance of orange creamsicle, that has been my favorite.

Yep that sounds about right. It's a goodie that one. There is another less common pheno that smells like straight up lemon and grapefruit rind and earth. Very earthy. Only found it a few times and hoping for it again. It doesn't purple (that I've found) but the high is instant and can be devastating if you don't know what to expect. Euphoric clean and a little trippy but it goes on for what feels like hours. It's a great one for waking and baking and then hitting the beach for a surf.
Very nice. I love buzzes like that. I've got a Zamedelica that gives me a nice buzz like that but it only lasts an hour or two.
Mine was extremely exotic... in fact I never had anything like that before or after. It was like spicy jasmine oil! Very pungent!
Nice! I need to pop my last 4 sometime and look for more. I found the purple one and a fruity green one that was like speed that finished in 8-9 weeks and moved on at the time.
All this talk of African Cannabis smells is making me drool, One of my Mulanje phenos clearly had the most destinctive fragrance of orange creamsicle, that has been my favorite.
Cool! Definitely some nice plants to look for in these beans.

So here are some transkei landraces still growing unprotected through mid winter. Slow but still going
IMG_20190806_142015.jpg
IMG_20190806_175031.jpg
IMG_20190806_175104.jpg
IMG_20190806_175126.jpg

That's an indica isn't it? Those are some skinny leaves! Very nice!
Land race sativa from Transkei region of South Africa. It's a search for some rooibaart thats somewhere in the beans. Looking pretty similar pheno wise so let's hope one or two stand out.

Oh sweet! I thought it was an middle Eastern indica for some reason.
I've never grown a Land race indica in over 20 years. Mostly been preserving old lines of Land race sativa from all over the southern part of Africa. It might be time to grow one of the indica's. I'm growing some bag seed lsd for my brother but it's just a side chick for now . Not getting most of the attention . Haha

Update/Taj hash: next to my standard guitar for size comparison. Definitely going to need a string of lights for the holiday season.

IMG_20190806_163625.jpg
I'm glad you put your guitar in there for comparison. It would look a lot smaller than it is. Those are some huge leaves.

Just got done processing the Mulanje. I've got a nice technique, where I hang them to dry in 5 gallon paint strainer bags. Then I smack them against the wall and knock most of the seeds lose. It's easy enough to sift through them from that point. It doesn't leave much to puff on though. :confused:

It sure makes it easier to get the seeds though.
:ganjamon:

Mulanje #1. Strong astringent lime smell. More of an industrial cleaner, than a fruit smell. This was a long node, narrow fingered pheno. A bit longer nodes than plant #2. When I cut her at 70 days I found multiple nanners on her. They were sterile, but I found about a dozen on a 3 foot plant. This was the more vigorous of the two, but to be fair, for the first month+ they were alive, their soil biota was dead and the #2 plant never really fully recovered from the problem after I caught it and corrected it.

And now for the other plant....

Mulanje #2 plant. Long internodes and fairly narrow leaves. Soft anise and herbal smell off of the bud. Not the most vigorous plant as I mentioned above, but she only had 1 sterile nanner on her when I cut her at 70 days of flowering. She was done and starting to amber at that point. Nice little cache of seeds. :)
I'm thinking these will be the seeds to search through. :slide:

Thank you @neikodog! You made this happen.

Back
Top Bottom