420 Magazine Background

Landrace Genetics 101

andIhalped

Thank you Morlie!
This Oaxacan is my baby. She is the backbone in most of my hybrids, I can see how DJ short got Blueberry out of his Oaxacan crosses.
The Oaxacan bagseed I guerilla grew in the '80s was some of the best weed I ever smoked...certainly the trippiest. Longlasting & energetic, too. So, I fully get what you're doing.
Breed on!:bravo:

Last edited:

andIhalped

Thanks Man!
Curious what time of the year did your 80's Oaxacan finish for you?
That was a loooooooooong time ago, but as I remember it was around Halloween/mid-Nov. I had planned to let it go longer, though I knew nothing about trichromes, but my roommates' rampant paranoia forced me into chopping. Their fear was pointless -- it was about 2 ft high and about 6 ft wide due to heavy topping underneath a garden canopy that I purposely let go to big nonsmokable weeds. Didn't even look like weed, really.

Some other salient info: Buds were thin & kinda wispy, but with lots of color (red hairs, gold & brown calyx). The seeds came out of very colorful, very good Oaxacan, but mine was better still, probably because it was sinsemilla. Not a big yielder due to shading & (probably) rube topping "technique."

Grown in N. Nevada, which has a perfect autumn weather for weed--usu. sunny, cool, & bone dry. Don't remember the flavor, but will never forget the stone. XLNT & strong. I warned folks that tried it not to smoke it like the reg. weed that was around at the time. Those that ignored those warnings were reduced to mental rubble for about 4 hours.

Morglie

Very pretty and delicate looking female there. Can you describe the high and what sort of yield you expect?
It's a cross of Oaxacan and Nepalese. I truthfully don't know what to expect as I've never grown it, or any Mexican before. This is one of @tropics crosses, available through Ace. It's a beautiful plant with lots of vigor. Creamy berry smell to her and they start to flower very early outdoors. I'll know better in a couple of months.

Morglie

Rock on my friend!!!
I'm looking forward to this one. I love the flavor of berry/fruity strains.

No issues that I've seen btw, from bringing the cutting indoors to 18/6 lighting and then dropping straight to 11/13 when it went into flower.

I really think the issue outdoors with it starting flowering in June was from the lack of direct sunlight for all except for about 5 hours a day. I need to do some clearing again in my spot. It's gotten really overgrown this year.

medmanmike

Purple Satellite just starting to flower.

Morglie, a few weeks behind you, but my Purple Satellite are doing well. #1 broke ground on Aug 4, the other two on the 5th. If you zoom In you might be able to see some purple highlights in the new growth. Did you experience this with your seedlings? I can’t say that I see any color in the leaves in your post. I'm in Doc's kit also. Any advice beyond what tropics has shared? Keep us updated with pics. No journal this grow, but I’ll do likewise.
7BCB385D-F6FA-4E8A-865A-0AD5EA75DC66.jpeg
8429B9B9-C67B-4D6F-AC48-A3913A814339.jpeg
2DEE9D3E-3012-4E64-BA24-3D98264F2384.jpeg

Morglie

Morglie, a few weeks behind you, but my Purple Satellite are doing well. #1 broke ground on Aug 4, the other two on the 5th. If you zoom In you might be able to see some purple highlights in the new growth. Did you experience this with your seedlings? I can’t say that I see any color in the leaves in your post. I'm in Doc's kit also. Any advice beyond what tropics has shared? Keep us updated with pics. No journal this grow, but I’ll do likewise.
The purple is only in the stems until they flower, then you should start seeing it in the pistols and later the buds. Some have really dark stems. It reminds me a lot of my purple pheno of Malawi.

Go easy on the GE. They don't like much N. Other than that they are nice well behaved plants. They want to stretch when you put them into flower. It looks like the one I have in flower is only going to be around 100-150% stretch so not too bad. Just something to keep in mind if you don't grow many pure sativas.

They are fairly quick, but the main way they are so fast at flowering outdoors is because they start early, as in mid July. It's still probably going to be an 8-10 week strain. Once they start.

Oh, and keep your lights on above 16 hours in veg or they'll try to start flowering.

tropics

Looking amazing!
nice healthy babies!

Top Bottom