Landrace Genetics 101

If I am fortunate enough to find some, I will get regs and do a seed run. If I am successful at producing seed, I will make a genuine effort to get that stuff out there. I'd really like to see some of these legendary landraces widely available again. Shoot, if people promised to make seed, I'd probably give seeds away to those who wanted to try and make some seed. This is a strain that should not disappear.

This is what I hope to do also. Make seeds from the landraces so atleast the ones I get wont go extinct. I believe its important to keep our roots intact as best as possible :)

Worthwhile activity, the big cannabis corporations will try to limit chemovars so everyone grows their genetics. The future of cannabis as we know it depends on preservation by growers.

I ordered some from a dispensary last year and it was fantastic. Such a clear motivational high. Strong. Lasted for 3-4 hours, feeling great. Haven't seen it since. Growing out an African Sativa cross and hope it comes close to AG.
I have heard that the African sativas are pretty dang good and some of them, like Malawi by Ace Seeds, can be a dang near trippy experience. I have about a dozen Ace strains and I plan on dunking some this winter after I am finished building my new grow room. I need to maximize all available height before I start messing with pure sativas.

I have heard that the African sativas are pretty dang good and some of them, like Malawi by Ace Seeds, can be a dang near trippy experience. I have about a dozen Ace strains and I plan on dunking some this winter after I am finished building my new grow room. I need to maximize all available height before I start messing with pure sativas.
African ones are nice. They tend to be more on the energizing side than central American ones. How much height are you going to have? They can be grown in very limited setups, but it's easier to let them do their thing and go a bit wild. That's just my lazy grower side coming out though. I've seen people keep Zamadelica under two foot tall and manageable the whole time.

This is one of the more extreme stretchers I've ran. Same cut. The left one is at 3 days under 11/13 lighting. There right one is at 33 days and it started out looking almost identical to the left one.
Most of the Ace strains I've ran, have stretched a bit less than this one. The main trick, is to flip them when they're small the first time. Once you get a feel for how much the cut will stretch, then you can start tweaking it for your setup.

I appreciate the info. I guess its not as bad as I had heard/imagined. I can manage that, but I'm still only gonna have about 6 feet max to work with after the lights are all the way up. I have quite a shallow basement.
You're welcome. The stretch is always the thing that gets people worried about growing sativas. This can be managed through flowering early and/or restricting the root base. They can be trained/scrogged, but that takes a lot more work to maintain.

The tall one is done stretching and it's closer to 6ft tall including the container. With 6ft of height you should have plenty of space to flower out some pure sativas.

African ones are nice. They tend to be more on the energizing side than central American ones. How much height are you going to have? They can be grown in very limited setups, but it's easier to let them do their thing and go a bit wild. That's just my lazy grower side coming out though. I've seen people keep Zamadelica under two foot tall and manageable the whole time.

This is one of the more extreme stretchers I've ran. Same cut. The left one is at 3 days under 11/13 lighting. There right one is at 33 days and it started out looking almost identical to the left one.
Most of the Ace strains I've ran, have stretched a bit less than this one. The main trick, is to flip them when they're small the first time. Once you get a feel for how much the cut will stretch, then you can start tweaking it for your setup.
she looks good morglie nice work!

[QUOTE = "tropici, post: 4562913, membro: 246646"]
ZACATECAS TRIBUTE
Big Sur Holy Weed X Oaxaxcan oro
A 9 settimane di fioritura l'11,5 dalla verdura di tre settimane ora è grande quasi quanto il mio pugno a meno di un metro di altezza.
Bastoncini di carne prevalentemente messicani!

[ATTACH = full] 1.856.437 [/ attach] [attach = full] 1.856.438 [/ attach] [attach = full] 1.856.439 [/ attach] [attach = full] 1.856.440 [/ attach] [attach = full] 1.856.441 [/ attach] [ATTACH = full] 1856442 [/ attach] [attach = completa] 1856443 [/ attach]
[/ CITAZIONE]
I just saw this,wooooooooow

Yep, that's what I was thinking/hoping. I have a couple sativa dominant plants in the 4×8 and they only have about 5 ft. That's a little too short for them. I think the extra foot will help a lot.
5 feet is easily enough room to grow them in. My first flower room had around 3 feet of height from the base of the pot to the lights. I ran everything in 2-3 gallon pots and kept them small. Yield was shit. I normally got 1-1.5 zips per plant, but I could grow them fine. And didn't do any training beyond topping them a couple of times.
she looks good morglie nice work!
Thank you. I'm trying to figure out how to best manage her, as this is a cut I'd like to keep around.
Non ho esperienza indoor, ma uso anche le stesse soluzioni all'aperto, piccola fase vegetativa, piccoli contenitori, potatura e piegatura ...
So you use root restriction outdoors? Do you keep them in pots to move them indoors when it gets cold? I would love to put a pure sativa in the ground and see what it would do. There's no way one would finish, but it would be fun to see how large it could get.

I usually keep the plants in small containers (0.5 lt) until the beginning of flowering, then put them in larger pots, moreover, I sow late, at the end of June, beginning of July,
and at the end of flowering the plants are high, if not pruned they reach almost 2 meters ...
No, I never take plants indoors, I rely on time, and on suitable varieties (so far I have had some problems only with oldtimer haze purple)....

I usually keep the plants in small containers (0.5 lt) until the beginning of flowering, then put them in larger pots, moreover, I sow late, at the end of June, beginning of July,
and at the end of flowering the plants are high, if not pruned they reach almost 2 meters ...
No, I never take plants indoors, I rely on time, and on suitable varieties (so far I have had some problems only with oldtimer haze purple)....

Do you mean that you plant in small pots in June/ July and when flowering starts then they go in big pots?

Yes, Exactly, obviously instinct is needed, not all plants grow in the same way, even between sisters, and this system is especially valid for sativa, an indica planted in July in 0.5 lt, is practically a lowrider, a Honduras sativa becomes high 130 cm ...
Thanks for the clarification. May I ask what latitude and climate you grow in? I am at 45 degrees N in Oregon where its fn wet and damp and cold in October and I NEVER get to finish a long flowering sativa outdoors. I had a 15 footer once or twice and had to watch them mold. . .

This year I have a big greenhouse to grow in. 4 big sativas, too. 2 Zamaldelica, a Purple malawi x UD, and a purple chocolate thai. Goodtimes,

Cheers,

I also live at 45 n, but near me there is a huge lake that greatly mitigates the climate, it never freezes before mid-late December, the only problem is the fog and rain between October and November ...
With the indica I have a sea of problems ....
The only sativa gave me problem was oldtimer haze purple, because it finish to late December, early january, when the light is weak and the temperatures are too low, it does not mature properly ...

I am at about 45 n here as well. No lake near here per se, save for the Pacific 'pond' west of me. This year has been terrible with rain all through summer. Much cooler than average summer. Not a great year for me to grow these late strains. Last year would have been way better with a warm dry September and warm and dryer fall.

Anyway, here is a Colombian Punto Rojo landrace from bag weed seed I got in the 1970s. No indica in these babies. They are wire leaf landrace satvas. These are regulars, forced with light dep to bloom early. Otherwise they would not start blooming until late October.

Punto Rojo early bloom.JPG

Back
Top Bottom