Landrace Genetics 101

Gotta love those strains... currently puffing on some pure sativa lambs bread. :blunt:
Nice, I just finished dusting some Mulanje x Swaziland male pollen on some Mulanje x Swaziland females and a CBDream fem in early flower. Got a few months wait to try some fresh sativas

Nice, I just finished dusting some Mulanje x Swaziland male pollen on some Mulanje x Swaziland females and a CBDream fem in early flower. Got a few months wait to try some fresh sativas
Oooweee your gonna be in for a good time friend. :passitleft:

@Scottsquatch the guy who’s making the Romulan seeds is the son of the original breeder of the clone only Romulan. He’s supposed to have a cut from his dads original mother. Should be able to find a keeper for sure. I’ll be watching your grow for sure.

I'll probably pop one right away. If it's a male I'll save pollen and pop another. I'll keep a female around until I run the remaining 2 or 3 plants. Then I'll take clones of the mother I want to keep and pollinate a branch on each female with pollen. If I have two males I'll do a branch for each male on every female. I should keep the genetic diversity going that way and eventually find a mind blowing mother in a much larger run.

Thanks penny. I recently made the call to abandon feminized seed. I'll keep what I have, but all new purchases will be regs. Fems are great if there wont be any breeding, but I'd rather not muck about with reversing plants and all that. Male plants will be better. I have a seperate small room under slightly negative pressure with it's own ventilation. I'll be using that for males so I dont end up accidentally pollinating entire runs.
I also plan to pollinate a seperate branch on every female with pollen from each male. Seems like that will be the best way to maintain diversity.

Thanks penny. I recently made the call to abandon feminized seed. I'll keep what I have, but all new purchases will be regs. Fems are great if there wont be any breeding, but I'd rather not muck about with reversing plants and all that. Male plants will be better. I have a seperate small room under slightly negative pressure with it's own ventilation. I'll be using that for males so I dont end up accidentally pollinating entire runs.
I also plan to pollinate a seperate branch on every female with pollen from each male. Seems like that will be the best way to maintain diversity.
The clips that you get on bread bags clip to branches nicely to label what you pollinated it with.

If you reverse a one of a kind female the S1 seeds will behave like F2 seeds from a regular plant. The S1’s will show considerable variation between siblings. You would have to select carefully to duplicate the mother.

So selfing a femmed seed is not actually a way to reproduce the plant you have. The offspring will be like an F2. You would need to plant a lot of the S1's in order to find the same phenotype (and hopefully genotype) of the plant you selfed.
That is crazy that S1 acts like F2. I thought the offspring would be identical.
Would the S1's be identical to the plant in question if it was a very stable line? Would the S1's be the same then? I'm guessing the line is stable because a lot of the diversity has been removed. Is that accurate?

It may help to have a stable line worked a number of generations down the line. I believe the big draw with S1’s is to have something close to the mom but having a pheno no one else has.

Back
Top Bottom