Landrace Genetics 101

Here you go.
Been hellawindy the last few days so they are a bit beaten up but doing great.
Miss Sticky
Miss Sticky.jpeg
Miss Sticky1.jpeg
Miss Sticky2.jpeg
Miss Sticky3.jpeg

Another Kzn Landrace from a different area. Completely red.
RR2.jpeg
RR3.jpeg
RR4.jpeg
RR.jpeg
RR1.jpeg

Actually no the Pakastani is a landrace and the Afghani is a landrace so it is cross of two landrace strains
What if they met and crossed naturally without human involvement? Just curious where the line gets drawn. Like Balkh and Mazar I Shariff are close enough for miracles to happen. Does it lose its title of land race because it isn’t directly genetically influenced by its environment?

I would think not because there has always been pollen drift and regions like you describe are so close this could happen. Some people draw the line quiet sharply, but in general if a strain develops for many generations and many years and becomes quite homogenous I would call it a landrace. Some people specify without human intervention but whenever does that happen?
just my opinion

To me, landrace strains are those that have been growing in small regions for 100s of years. There's always some drift, but they have a uniform character. They absorb any new genetics. The conditions that produced the original uniformity remain. Soil, climate, precipitation, etc.

My own experience growing weeds from the 1980s tell me that a landrace has a lot of variation in potency or terpenes even before you introduce new genetics. The genome is very diverse, so you always get individual standouts and clunkers. A small hillside stand will be less diverse than a large regional group.

Finding those isolated stands is almost impossible these days, so there's really no such thing as a true landrace anymore. And once we get ahold of one, we interbreed the standouts anyway. So working with landraces is more a matter of preserving what makes them different, than mixing them with completely different genetics.

I would think not because there has always been pollen drift and regions like you describe are so close this could happen. Some people draw the line quiet sharply, but in general if a strain develops for many generations and many years and becomes quite homogenous I would call it a landrace. Some people specify without human intervention but whenever does that happen?
just my opinion
I actually love how you mention the homogeny of the plants, that makes perfect sense to me that introducing new alleles to the genome is the official line crossed. Even with the gene pool diversity that graytail cleverly mentions, the alleles are still coming from the same selection, just different orders.
To me, landrace strains are those that have been growing in small regions for 100s of years. There's always some drift, but they have a uniform character. They absorb any new genetics. The conditions that produced the original uniformity remain. Soil, climate, precipitation, etc.

My own experience growing weeds from the 1980s tell me that a landrace has a lot of variation in potency or terpenes even before you introduce new genetics. The genome is very diverse, so you always get individual standouts and clunkers. A small hillside stand will be less diverse than a large regional group.

Finding those isolated stands is almost impossible these days, so there's really no such thing as a true landrace anymore. And once we get ahold of one, we interbreed the standouts anyway. So working with landraces is more a matter of preserving what makes them different, than mixing them with completely different genetics.
Graytail I appreciate how you put this, I feel like environmental influence on a naturally fallen seed could alter the dna of the plant but it would still be true to its landrace status because the environment is what would separate each landrace from the common ancestor of the plant anyways. So I guess my question is sort of answered. My seeds wouldn’t be a landrace because they are the sons and daughters of the domestic plants, mixing the gene pools and never giving them time for genetic alteration from its locale.

Does this make sense? or maybe I’m way off still. Just in the sense of genetics it does make good sense to me.

National Ganjagraphic!!!

NTH

I actually love how you mention the homogeny of the plants, that makes perfect sense to me that introducing new alleles to the genome is the official line crossed. Even with the gene pool diversity that graytail cleverly mentions, the alleles are still coming from the same selection, just different orders.

Graytail I appreciate how you put this, I feel like environmental influence on a naturally fallen seed could alter the dna of the plant but it would still be true to its landrace status because the environment is what would separate each landrace from the common ancestor of the plant anyways. So I guess my question is sort of answered. My seeds wouldn’t be a landrace because they are the sons and daughters of the domestic plants, mixing the gene pools and never giving them time for genetic alteration from its locale.

Does this make sense? or maybe I’m way off still. Just in the sense of genetics it does make good sense to me.
Look into epigenetics. I've seen it happen in my own garden. I had a wide-leafed plant turn into a narrow leafed one during veg, and the cut from it was narrow leafed from the beginning. Odd to see. The conditions in my garden triggered a genetic adaptation.

The cannabis genome has many, many unexpressed chains in its DNA. Environmental conditions will throw a switch and turn them on and off. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yeah I'm with Graytail here too. Soil, water availability and light are every thing to and of landraces. I see some wacky stuff pop out every now and then and occasionally something extra special but generally they are similar. The pearl necklace bud type smells just like the mother who makes chunky buds. Very similar high just one that normally smells sweet and spicy suddenly smells manky (good Manky ) just like one of the other phenotypes. In general you should know more less what to expect when you grow them as the vast majority are extra similar. It's really the quality of light, soil and water. For me , landrace sativa needs plenty strong sunlight, great soil with space to spread its roots and a lot of water. A lot.
I realise not everyone has the opportunity to grow outside and finish plants never mind landrace sativa and so my suggestions when anyone asks me about growing sativa indoors is lots of space, biggest pots you could possibly fit. And finally to let that plant veg for a long time. The quality is definitely better the older the plant is. Also not easy to keep a plant in a pit happy for 8 to 9 months total. The training is easy. You just have to commit to doing it twice a week for months . Haha. But with pruning and patience ,(I know also money) after a good few months veg you can grow a tent full of top quality sativa landrace buds that Will be worth the effort for sure.

Back
Top Bottom