Landrace Genetics 101

Golden Tiger is my go too strain right now and she’s still sticky as hell some 8 months after harvesting her (18.5w flowering alone)
I will be growing Golden Tiger(Ace's 2nd version) as a 2nd grow this season. Starting sometime in July.

Did it take 18 weeks to flower inside? If so, what light schedule did you use? I will be growing inside in hydro.

I will be growing Golden Tiger(Ace's 2nd version) as a 2nd grow this season. Starting sometime in July.

Did it take 18 weeks to flower inside? If so, what light schedule did you use? I will be growing inside in hydro.

Yeah I’m in Canada so an indoor grow is the only way for me. It was 18.5w flowering really and did 12/12 for the first 3 weeks and then went 11/13 from there

C91496E1-7B67-4270-825D-45FEFFCF6EE6.jpeg

Well I just put my 2 GT 3.0 into darkness last night for the next 30 hr's. Then we should see some pistils in about a week or so I hope as I am going by the ACE description of 12-14 weeks of flower. So that will put me into the first week of Sept. for the chop. I have in the past always manifolded my plants but these two I have done a low stress training on them since March. and have a fairly flat canopy approx. 12 in. high . They have spread out to fill there rubber maid containers which are about 30in. wide and have really started to add a lot of foliage since I started to feed fish fertilizer and a small amount of Ca Mg. I planted them in my super soil mix but it didn't seem to get them really going. I will start my A 5 Killer outside in June-ish and bring inside in Sept to finish.....So that's the plan of Mice.

Yeah I’m in Canada so an indoor grow is the only way for me. It was 18.5w flowering really and did 12/12 for the first 3 weeks and then went 11/13 from there
Well, that's about what I was planning. That's about a month more flowering time than the Panama I grew last year :oops:

That's about a month more flowering time than the Panama I grew last year:oops:

Sign of a true sativa, lol.

I tried to get some of the breeder's Auto Zamaldelica, which is a (Réunion Island) Zamal female crossed with a Golden Tiger male, then crossed with something or other to get an autoflowering line. But they were out of stock at the business I used, so I had to settle for their Auto Malawi × Northern Lights, instead. Which was a bit of a disappointment, because I had hoped to see how quickly (or not ;) ) the Auto Zamaldelica finished, in comparison to the regular "version."

Some autoflowering sativa crosses aren't exactly the... well, I suppose one still saves some time. Probably. I don't know how it compares to flowering a rooted clone, though. Normally, one would expect a clone that is flowered as soon as possible to result in a rather small plant. IDK, though, sometimes... I recall doing that with some clones from Nevil's Haze, years back, 9" to 12" clones - that ended up around six feet tall at harvest :rolleyes: . So you never know until you know, I suppose. Come to think of it, there's an AF cross of that one (N. Haze) out. A bunch of different ones, probably (think I've got two). Anyway, one of them, Nevil Bilbo Auto from Genehtik Seeds... even though it's a legitimate autoflowering strain, the breeder strongly recommends a 12/12 light/dark schedule indoors from sprout to harvest, unless the gardener has both lots of time and tall ceilings. Probably not a good candidate for a Solo cup grow in a converted PC case.

Just rambling. Er... Landraces, TS, landraces. Hmm... Nope, nothing. I wanted some, but felt the need to do autos this year, for various reasons. I have a few that have some landrace genetics in them but, well, pretty much every strain does, if you look hard enough. Hopefully, some of mine have it close enough to the surface to produce something worth harvesting. I think I've got Mexican Airlines, by Fast Buds. The breeder advertises "A pure-bred Sativa. A fierce combination of Colombian and Mexican Sativas." I'm not sure how that works, all things considered. . . .

If anyone is interested, I recently found another breeder who's working with some classic sativas, including Destroyer.

Gerry at Colorado Sativas.

I'm going to place an order for Destroyer S1s and Jarilla Sinaloa x Destroyer. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Just opened up the grow box after 30 hr of darkness and these 2 GT 3.0 have grown 3-5 in. since lights off. Using a low stress containment for their height and had to bend some down again. Lights turned on to 11/13 as it is supposed to help with controlling their height . Pic in a few days.....

The thread hasn’t died. Good to know! Keep up these landraces 😎

If anyone is interested, I recently found another breeder who's working with some classic sativas, including Destroyer.

Gerry at Colorado Sativas.

I'm going to place an order for Destroyer S1s and Jarilla Sinaloa x Destroyer. :cheesygrinsmiley:
colorado Sativa's ?
Just opened up the grow box after 30 hr of darkness and these 2 GT 3.0 have grown 3-5 in. since lights off. Using a low stress containment for their height and had to bend some down again. Lights turned on to 11/13 as it is supposed to help with controlling their height . Pic in a few days.....
glad things worked out __ you gave them that dark time before changing the light cycle to 11/13 (flower) did you veg at 12/12 also ? taking a look at Colorado's sativa;s

The thread hasn’t died. Good to know! Keep up these landraces 😎

Transkei x Jelly Punch

Hits like grape jam and gets me high af. On the trim table today.

Transkei seeds were a gift from SA from someone here.

Crossed it with Jelly Punch. Then back crossed it 2x to see if I could get rid of nanners.

It worked.

20230515_104510.jpg

20230515_104450.jpg

That’s a pretty one!

My last landrace or traditional cultivar was Mazar-i-Shariff from RSC 😎

IMG_0689.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0686.jpeg

DUTERTES NIGHTMARE
(Filipino unknown)
A040C4F8-3BED-44CA-9EDA-DBF0A737B034.jpeg

F2A35C45-4C8C-4E51-9E6A-CCBEBDCD29BE.jpeg

This is a cultivar I am growing in the 49th parallel west Canada; got the seeds from Palawan island south of Luzon island Philippines in 2019. As you may know it is almost death sentence to grow, sell, or be related to cannabis in Philippines. I was given seeded bud by a local, Only information I was given is that cannabis is grown in the northen jungles in Luzon the main island in Philippines. I been growing it for the second year now, I could not get it to finish flowering last year.

The side shoots are almost symmetrical.

this was last year November 6th...
1685023507631.png

DUTERTES NIGHTMARE
(Filipino unknown)

This is a cultivar I am growing in the 49th parallel west Canada; got the seeds from Palawan island south of Luzon island Philippines in 2019. As you may know it is almost death sentence to grow, sell, or be related to cannabis in Philippines. I was given seeded bud by a local, Only information I was given is that cannabis is grown in the northen jungles in Luzon the main island in Philippines. I been growing it for the second year now, I could not get it to finish flowering last year.

1685023507631.png
Beautiful! Fingers crossed it will finish. I'm growing Lao Gold in the greenhouse. Love those tropical sativa highs!

1685023507631.png

According to its Wikipedia article, Palawan Island is practically on the equator (9°30′N). I wouldn't expect any landrace from there to finish flowering anywhere outdoors in Canada. Not unless you can artificially control the number of hours of uninterrupted darkness per day it receives, and even then I'd expect that to be "a lengthy project." Not only because it's most likely a long-flowering sativa, but also because I'd be surprised if that one even began to flower before the autumnal equinox. You might be looking at a natural finishing date some time in the middle of January, lol, unless you can artificially start giving it 12 hours of darkness beginning in June or July - and that with a plant that is already mature... On the equator, all plants are grown "12:12 from seed," as it were, so it's not uncommon for one to have evolved to be able to remain in the growth phase for quite a while under that light:dark schedule.

In other words, it's not just how long the actual flowering phase length phase is that makes growing equatorial landrace sativas a challenge, it's also how long it often is before they even start to flower. So it sucks to live well north (or south) of the equator and enjoy pure or nearly pure sativas. But it would suck just as much to live on the equator and enjoy indicas - which would enter the flowering phase just as soon as they were sexually mature, leading to rather small plants, unless the gardener used artificial lighting to interfere with the night/dark cycle each day until he/she was ready for flowering to begin.

DUTERTES NIGHTMARE
(Filipino unknown)

1685023507631.png
v ery interesting story - hope they mature for you this year ? keep us informed ! (did you by any chance get a male for seeds ?

According to its Wikipedia article, Palawan Island is practically on the equator (9°30′N). I wouldn't expect any landrace from there to finish flowering anywhere outdoors in Canada. Not unless you can artificially control the number of hours of uninterrupted darkness per day it receives, and even then I'd expect that to be "a lengthy project." Not only because it's most likely a long-flowering sativa, but also because I'd be surprised if that one even began to flower before the autumnal equinox. You might be looking at a natural finishing date some time in the middle of January, lol, unless you can artificially start giving it 12 hours of darkness beginning in June or July - and that with a plant that is already mature... On the equator, all plants are grown "12:12 from seed," as it were, so it's not uncommon for one to have evolved to be able to remain in the growth phase for quite a while under that light:dark schedule.

In other words, it's not just how long the actual flowering phase length phase is that makes growing equatorial landrace sativas a challenge, it's also how long it often is before they even start to flower. So it sucks to live well north (or south) of the equator and enjoy pure or nearly pure sativas. But it would suck just as much to live on the equator and enjoy indicas - which would enter the flowering phase just as soon as they were sexually mature, leading to rather small plants, unless the gardener used artificial lighting to interfere with the night/dark cycle each day until he/she was ready for flowering to begin.
that would be a great grow - indoors - for a great finish interesting information

Back
Top Bottom