Landrace Genetics 101

Here’s my Golden Tiger, Chocolate Thai and Panama grow. The little one is a Sour G I haven’t flipped yet. CL🍀

D56D81F6-32E2-4450-B693-40102D563F56.jpeg

43C1B61A-5B5C-4C22-B057-D2E67503E194.jpeg

100_0184.JPG

100_0190.JPG

100_0194.JPG

This is some Corinto after curing a couple weeks. Not really seeing purple in the colors. Seems there was a stealth hermie in the tent. Too many seeds for what I pollinated it for. No nanners or male flowers that I could see but too many seeds. Smoking a joint of this plant right now. Taste is old time and effect is there too. Bit more mellow effect after the cure it would seem or maybe just this plant. I will take it. hehe I think another 2 weeks in the bags at room temp and then into the freezer.

Looks like the old time stuff, yes? I barely tried to trim it just used my fingers to brush the buds and break off some of the fan leaves along with a bit of snipping. Nice euphoric effect. All the plants had euphoric feelings but some were more intense and trippy. This was is almost laid back by comparison. Again, curing may be at play.

Still kind of has that "fresh" look. Recommend, next time, a long... slow... drying, to allow chlorophyll to be converted to sugars, and to lose the green. Smoothest bud I ever smoked was almost brown in appearance. ZERO cough, long smile. Oaxacan highland sativa. Asked a complete stranger if he had any bud after he stopped to see if a stripper whose apartment I was hanging out at was home, one day when I was 16. She was a bit of a creeper. Er... the bud, not T. (who was more of an immediate effect ;) ). Guy gave me a big handful. I asked him what his name was, so I could let her know. "I haven't been around in a few years, and won't ever be back, so it doesn't really matter - but if there's any of that left when she finds her way home, she'll know."

There was, and she did. Said he used to be her connection when she was in high school <COUGH>but he always had good bud, too<COUGH>. So I gave her some grief for waking the parents up at 6:00am on a Sunday morning by standing on our sidewalk and repeatedly shouting that I really needed to come out and party until Pop opened the front door and told her she'd better get gone before he helped her along with his boot (while I desperately pretended to be asleep), then we got high.

And partied.

Good times. She was a lot of fun. I sure do miss...

...that bud.

Ramble on.

I've ordered some Ace Malawi which I plan to grow most of the end of the year.

And I've been thinking I could get my hands on some wild seeds from India quite easy, but I've always declined as well I always felt that would be such a hit and miss scenario and I always thought the nice thing about breeders is that they have grown out many strains and based on selection provide you with something that grows into an impressive plant with some stable and predictive qualities.

v ery interesting story - hope they mature for you this year ? keep us informed ! (did you by any chance get a male for seeds ?

That is last years male, I open pollinated 2 other sativa dominant a Durban not a landrace, and a cultivar I have been working on called personal Sativa. I’m trying out several seeds having that male genetic. I also have a new Duterte pheno going if it’s male or female it’s a win.

Check out the current journal if you interested.

According to its Wikipedia article, Palawan Island is practically on the equator (9°30′N). I wouldn't expect any landrace from there to finish flowering anywhere outdoors in Canada. Not unless you can artificially control the number of hours of uninterrupted darkness per day it receives, and even then I'd expect that to be "a lengthy project." Not only because it's most likely a long-flowering sativa, but also because I'd be surprised if that one even began to flower before the autumnal equinox. You might be looking at a natural finishing date some time in the middle of January, lol, unless you can artificially start giving it 12 hours of darkness beginning in June or July - and that with a plant that is already mature... On the equator, all plants are grown "12:12 from seed," as it were, so it's not uncommon for one to have evolved to be able to remain in the growth phase for quite a while under that light:dark schedule.

In other words, it's not just how long the actual flowering phase length phase is that makes growing equatorial landrace sativas a challenge, it's also how long it often is before they even start to flower. So it sucks to live well north (or south) of the equator and enjoy pure or nearly pure sativas. But it would suck just as much to live on the equator and enjoy indicas - which would enter the flowering phase just as soon as they were sexually mature, leading to rather small plants, unless the gardener used artificial lighting to interfere with the night/dark cycle each day until he/she was ready for flowering to begin.

Totally with you on that statement, I could’ve not said it better. I have in the past used light deprivation to gain a month of flowering. I’m assuming these are 14-15 weeks of flowering (give or take). I need to calculate because at any given moment I can start a natural “light schedule” starting 6am local time Vancouver island, and at 6pm light off, I will have to build a dark room that I can take on and off relatively quick otherwise it’s lots of elbow grease for at least 2 months until day length in my area is at 12 hrs of darkness per day around mid September. Start light dep mid July till mid September and let them go until mid November. Long shot
image.jpg

I also have then gen pool mix with a fast flowering Durban from last year.

This is my personal Sativa, late finishing lasted until mid November last season. Not fast at all.
image.jpg

I’m assuming these are 14-15 weeks of flowering (give or take).

If you're lucky ;). I've seen sativas advertised as having up to a 24-week flowering period (although 18-20 seems to be a more common upper limit, these days).

Totally with you on that statement, I could’ve not said it better. I have in the past used light deprivation to gain a month of flowering. I’m assuming these are 14-15 weeks of flowering (give or take). I need to calculate because at any given moment I can start a natural “light schedule” starting 6am local time Vancouver island, and at 6pm light off, I will have to build a dark room that I can take on and off relatively quick otherwise it’s lots of elbow grease for at least 2 months until day length in my area is at 12 hrs of darkness per day around mid September. Start light dep mid July till mid September and let them go until mid November. Long shot
image.jpg

I also have then gen pool mix with a fast flowering Durban from last year.

This is my personal Sativa, late finishing lasted until mid November last season. Not fast at all.
image.jpg
Momma did a light deprivation on her greenhouse. Built a cool set up to pull a blackout tarp over read about it starting about here Momma's Outdoor Kitchen

If anyone is interested, I recently found another breeder who's working with some classic sativas, including Destroyer.

Gerry at Colorado Sativas.

I'm going to place an order for Destroyer S1s and Jarilla Sinaloa x Destroyer. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thx for the tip, compadre. Picked up some beans from them.

Vamos a ver!

figured I ought to publically say thanks to Gerry at Colorado Sativas. found he's a for real guy and his stuff is no doubt the real deal. I'll be looking forward to some of that durban highland soon.

thanks Gerry...if anyone wants world famous sativa...you're the guy*

Thanks for the tip, would you know if he has something from Oaxaca highlands Mexican Sativa, not precisely a Oaxaca gold, there is another kind growing out there.

Thanks

his webs
Thanks for the tip, would you know if he has something from Oaxaca highlands Mexican Sativa, not precisely a Oaxaca gold, there is another kind growing out there.

Thanks
his website is an easy navigate to what he has and has pictures. sure he would be glad to answer any question you may have and he may even have something not listed as well. found him to be friendly and helpful in my questions. his contact info is on the website

his webs

his website is an easy navigate to what he has and has pictures. sure he would be glad to answer any question you may have and he may even have something not listed as well. found him to be friendly and helpful in my questions. his contact info is on the website
I just checked it out he is got fire there, Increible genetics, and he has got 2 Mexican genetics there just what I am looking for.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks
He has a variety of Oaxacans - IBL and S1 crossed to Purple Satellite, for instance.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom