Landrace Genetics 101

Wow - this has been fun. Was way behind here so have read the last 2 months or so worth of discussion over the last week. Have probably forgotten most of the excellent info shared but it’s been a blast.

I’m really interested in Morglie’s zamaldelica x panama because I’ve got a good bee in my bonnet about CBG - and they both seem to have the recessive gene that gives rise to more CBG remaining in the plant (by inhibiting the enzymatic conversion into THC). Looking at it, there would be bound to be some phenotypes come out that have upwards of 5%CBG, maybe higher? Maybe it wouldn’t quite work like that. Maybe recessive gene effects don’t get multiplied, or enhanced. Still, it’s an awesome cross if you were seeking CBG (which I am). I have a moratorium on buying seeds after busting my bank setting up to grow inside... but once that’s lifted I’ll likely go for either of those 2 parents - because setting up inside is long-term about growing longer flowering plants :)

Thanks for the great discussions here people :thumb:
Not on my phone. And in none of the menu headings either. I assume it’s buried in the sub menus somewhere.
Oh and this... it was a while ago so maybe you’ve sorted this, but...

On my phone - the sponsors list is linked right at the top of the menu list when you tap the (unfortunately named) ‘hamburger’
I missed it for ages! It’s literally the first thing (unless they only added it recently).

:Namaste:

Morglie that Sinai was from RSC right? I have a few beans of it and it has been tempting me to pop some. Hoping for a dreamy effect from it. Not too sedative though. I will for sure run the Manipuri next grow.

I am taking my plants down earlier both indica and sativa. They buzz gets more comfortable when I let them go to amber or similar, but the indicas are too sleepy and the sativas lose their edge or trip factor.

Five beans more than I got, brother. Lol.

I have a lot of indica hybrids that I haven't grown out yet. Nothing sounds as appealing as that one plant looks. Besides growing more red points of course

:thumb:

Imagine those red points under some QBs! Raise the roof!
For sure, they can only get better. Waiting for Dan to call me back anytime now so he can take my money

Morglie that Sinai was from RSC right? I have a few beans of it and it has been tempting me to pop some. Hoping for a dreamy effect from it. Not too sedative though. I will for sure run the Manipuri next grow.

I am taking my plants down earlier both indica and sativa. They buzz gets more comfortable when I let them go to amber or similar, but the indicas are too sleepy and the sativas lose their edge or trip factor.
Yes, it is RSC. I need to give another one a try. I only got about 3/4 oz from it. It's a great nightime smoke. I had the autoflower one and the other seed I tried, wouldn't pop. Still have 3 more to try.

Me too--I've been going for earlier harvests on all strains for those exact reasons.

Wow - this has been fun. Was way behind here so have read the last 2 months or so worth of discussion over the last week. Have probably forgotten most of the excellent info shared but it’s been a blast.

I’m really interested in Morglie’s zamaldelica x panama because I’ve got a good bee in my bonnet about CBG - and they both seem to have the recessive gene that gives rise to more CBG remaining in the plant (by inhibiting the enzymatic conversion into THC). Looking at it, there would be bound to be some phenotypes come out that have upwards of 5%CBG, maybe higher? Maybe it wouldn’t quite work like that. Maybe recessive gene effects don’t get multiplied, or enhanced. Still, it’s an awesome cross if you were seeking CBG (which I am). I have a moratorium on buying seeds after busting my bank setting up to grow inside... but once that’s lifted I’ll likely go for either of those 2 parents - because setting up inside is long-term about growing longer flowering plants :)

Thanks for the great discussions here people :thumb:

Oh and this... it was a while ago so maybe you’ve sorted this, but...

On my phone - the sponsors list is linked right at the top of the menu list when you tap the (unfortunately named) ‘hamburger’
I missed it for ages! It’s literally the first thing (unless they only added it recently).

From what I've been reading, isn't CBG the precursor to CBD which the CBD-synthase gene changes? And THCA is converted by the THC-synthase gene?

Maybe the key to more CBG is to grow a high-CBD strain and harvest early?

From what I've been reading, isn't CBG the precursor to CBD which the CBD-synthase gene changes? And THCA is converted by the THC-synthase gene?

CBG(a) is the precursor to both CBD(a) and THC(a). More, maybe (I don't recall offhand). But, yes, this is just "an initial step" in the plant's process of manufacturing THC(a).

From what I’ve read (ill seek out the sources again and post) the reason some strains/chemovars show significant levels of CBG (like Panama, and Zamaldelica - and from what Gray said over at neiko’s recently there are others I haven’t discovered yet), is because of a gene mutation that inhibits the enzymes that drive the conversion from CBGa to other cannbinoids, so we get more CBGa/CBG in the final product(s) (pre/post decarb’). The question for me then, is whether further conversion happens during the cure - when those processes (of the living plant) might not be in action anymore (but that’s beyond my understanding of botany). NOt sure what kind of gene mutation it is (recessive or not?). Will see if i can dig up the material (wish I kept better track :ganjamon:).

I need to take a break from seed collecting, just grabbed 2 packs of Chemdog 91 S1 from CSI Humboldt. That will be a priority pheno hunt.

I hear that. OES just did a Snowhigh drop. I picked up:

Panama Red sweet berry pheno

"PANAMA RED: (Sweet Berry pheno)
This is your chance to acquire a Pure Heirloom Landrace equatorial Central American cultivar
from Panama.

"** LIMITED RELEASE**
Flower time range 12-16 weeks+ with some going 20+ weeks"

Already sold out, bought them yesterday.

Next pic

"Royal Purple Thai (Holy Purple Thai (Big Sur Holy Weed x Purple Thai) Metal Haze
F2 x Angola Red) Heirloom Landrace hybrid
Royal Purple Thai is a combination of our Holy Purple Thai (Big Sur Holy Weed x Purple Thai) (Big
Sur Holy Bud variant from Bodhi Seeds) that exhibited pink pistils and expressions reminiscent of
old school Mexican cultivars from the 50’s-60’s pollinated with a Purple Thai (South East Asian
Thai Stick x Purple Afghan) male. a select Holy Purple Thai mother was pollinated by a red trait
and resinous Metal Haze F2 x Angola Red male to complete the Royal Purple Thai genetic blend."

"So for those who have lost hope Royal Purple Thai is exactly as advertised.
Sativa/Indica 80/20 Heirloom Landrace Sativa dominant Hybrid
Flower time: 9-11 weeks with the possibility of some even longer phenotypes"

Yeah so all the talk about landrace strains and a snowhigh drop, no more seeds

I need help o_O

Congrats on the Panama Red. As you can see I am a fan. Lower your tolerance by not smoking a week and then bomb that Panama. You will not be disappointed but might feel 'lost'. As in, lost in space.

Snow has been selling his stuff himself, he gives his contact info at instagram.

Whats a heirloom landrace hybrid?

I'd guess that's what happens when a breeder decides to "improve" something so he can sell it to the mouth-breathers.

Back
Top Bottom