Landrace Genetics 101

Snowhigh has good genetics...over priced on the website but still good genetics. If people want to spend over $100 on 5 seeds let them ;)

My previous response was generic in nature and not meant to be a poke at any one particular breeder.

Aside from that, I've nothing in my pockets but a little lint, lol, and even I would consider trading $100 for five seeds (containing good genetics) to be a more than fair trade. I'd rather pay $220 for 13, but that's just to account for phenotypical variation, possible screwups on my part, et cetera. I never was all that comfortable with the concept of only buying a couple/few seeds of a strain(*), especially a strain that isn't an IBL or unmolested landrace.

(*)Ironically, I have a big pile of tiny Ziploc type bags of different strains, mostly containing only one or two seeds each. But I didn't buy them that way (most of them, I didn't buy at all - and gifts, freely given by others and gladly accepted by me, fall under different rules).

Hopefully I do a good job with my breeding. I want to stabilize the traits of the Red Point through some inbreeding. I had one pheno out of 8 that grew and smoked exactly like described in the first post of this thread, average smokers declared that I was trying to kill them... If only I would have had room to clone her, or hadn't tossed all of my males.
:passitleft:

Perhaps one day I will have enough seeds to give as gifts rather than just receiving, locally and legally of course.

I am always searching for landrace seeds for sale at a US based seed bank, but so far no luck. I don't want to order from overseas... I like visa gift cards

Yes i've heard of The Real Seed Company @safeman I'm actually waiting on an order from them as we speak (1st package sent got held up somewhere, resending a 2nd package) so i'll be reporting whether they got through or not soon enough. I've spoken with their support team and it does happen from time to time but their packages have come through before (in Australia)

I just stumbled onto an article about landraces. I'm going to do something I usually don't, and post the link before doing more than just glancing at the article (it's late here), so I cannot guarantee its accuracy. But it looks - again, at a glance - to have a lot of information. Might interest some of you.
Code:
https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/what-are-main-cannabis-landraces/

Yes i've heard of The Real Seed Company @safeman I'm actually waiting on an order from them as we speak (1st package sent got held up somewhere, resending a 2nd package) so i'll be reporting whether they got through or not soon enough. I've spoken with their support team and it does happen from time to time but their packages have come through before (in Australia)
have you looked at Swamie Seeds, they have Road Kill Skunk strains

I just stumbled onto an article about landraces. I'm going to do something I usually don't, and post the link before doing more than just glancing at the article (it's late here), so I cannot guarantee its accuracy. But it looks - again, at a glance - to have a lot of information. Might interest some of you.
Code:
https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/what-are-main-cannabis-landraces/

That is full of good stuff. One thing with landraces that confuses me is how anything we breed at home, even if from a pure line, can even be considered a landrace anymore. They would still be pure sativa (for example) but cannabis is very good at adapting to the environment it is grown in. Our tents and QB's and controlled environments are not the same as the top of a hill in Columbia (just another example). So after one generation we end up with something that resembles a landrace but will continue evolving and changing no matter how much we inbreed.

That being said, my red point (punto rojo) is amazing stuff. It is fun to grow and more potent than most of the stuff on the market in WA. And even though I am in the midst of a breeding exercise to pick and choose phenos that best represent their red point father, I know that I will never get it all right and the subsequent generations will adapt more and more to my environment losing what made them, them... It won't stop me from trying though.

Morning ramble, not sure if I got anywhere with it. Lol. Landrace info is always good to get my neurons firing, that and Rockstar.
Peace

You're right they will adapt to their new environment but should basically retain the main traits that make them unique. At least for a period of time. Make careful selections that reinforces the traits you're looking for.

They love their new light too. I did the last grow under CFLs and an old mars300 and they did fantastic considering the crap lights. They got QB's now so things can only get better. Genetics are solid too, so growing them is pretty lazy

It's not gone, it grew me some pretty good buds within 8" of the light. Tasty ones too. When those baby's show sex I will be throwing that light back in. It certainly never failed to grow a nice plant. In factI wish I still had the other two I sold.

Back
Top Bottom