Landrace Genetics 101

I think we need to be aware of the dangers of domestication...that is allowing marijuana to become a"hothouse flower" that cannot survive outside of domestication. The dna creep from industrial hemp is a concern as well. If corporate america has its way and they seize control of the supply, renegade and preservation breeders will be looked at as a problem. I plan to buy landrace seeds while i can and they are relatively inexpensive.

I find it very odd that you can get good Lebanese, Malawi, Kerala and other "IBL from landrace" seeds for relatively cheap. But the latest OG-Purple-Bubba-Headband-Chem's-Ugly-Sister insanely inbred strains (see the Phylos results in my above post) are at least twice the price?

As for the future of growing, for flower it will all be in huge warehouses with strains like D9-TFD8967xGG63 in huge lots of clones growing under lights. Big tobacco will be producing these plants and processing them into oil cartridges and pre-rolled packs to be bought off the shelf as branded products. Big booze will be doing the same but processing them into branded beverages. Big Pharma will also be extracting cannabinoids and terpenes into pharmacy products. Those genetic breeds will be completely closed off to outsiders and the general population of growers. The flip side will be hemp, and as you say the pollen creep from large outdoor hemp fields will spread everywhere on the wind. That will likely taint outdoor grows and spread any GMO/CRISPR genetics to the general population of Cannabis, like it has with corn. Corn is a good model for the likely future of Cannabis/hemp growing, at least in North America. Corn is wind pollinated like Cannabis, and grown commercially on an extremely large scale. It is believed that there is no strain of corn available now that does not have at least some GMO genetics in it.

Purple Zacatecas, eh? Must have been stored in the freezer a long time :)
Hey bud!
These were from a grower on the West Coast I acquired in a trade. I will see what comes out of these and assess their potential legitimacy.
Back in the seventies I smoked a lot of high times centerfold type strains from luscious gold Buddha stick, Acapulco Gold, that shined through the bag, twisted red orange nugs of Panama Red, every bit of Columbian red, gold, regs, Rainbow. African black, Vietnamese Gold To the
Oaxacan Gold I still grow today and is going to be a key building block in a lot of my strains available through ACE After January and soooo many more.
But admittedly I have never had Purple Zacatecas
But when these flower out I certainly will know if I have anything worth pursuing regardless.

I have never seen anyone else growing Zac Purple myself. Lots of people sell it as Big Sur Holy Weed, a derisive of Zacatecas Purple, but to date what was sold as BSHW has always turned out to be some dubious line, or more commonly a strain of SAGE, a later indica cross with BSHW which is more common. The name SAGE was dubbed locally in the coastal Santa Lucia Mountains where it was bred as being the Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium. Sage is commonly mis-quoted as being a cross of Haze and Afghani, but it is definitely not a Haze cross. Zac Purple was in Big Sur in the 1960s long before Haze was bred, if Haze was bred in California at all. Big Sur Holy was more of a joke name locally. The name was later penned by Jerry Kamstra in the book, Weed published in 1972/3. Lots of stories about who brought Zac Purple to Big Sur, and they are mostly stories. Zac Purple was grown in the Big Sur area for about a decade though, in small plots as seeded standard weed. It was just called Big Sur Purple in the later 1970s and in the early 1980s it was grown as sinsemilla. Then it was displaced locally by SAGE and indica hybrids.

BIG SUR HOLY WEED,
from stock acquired from Kagyu of Coastal Seed Co. I believe in the late sixties and passed along through growers through the years and more recently by a friend to me to do a seed reproduction to keep her pure. She smells of Lavender and fruits. I grew these three girls from seed in a 2 Gal pot under outdoor Subtropical winter sun at 11 hours daylight. Super upbeat HAPPY giggle weed of the clearest order.

010.JPG
020.JPG

Back
Top Bottom