Landrace Genetics 101

A lot of sativas are indigenous to southern India.

Thanks. I got it. Northern India is for Indicas and southern India for Sativas. They have a lot of landrace strains. Most of them are not yet in the mainstream yet and some became legend that nowhere to be found anymore.

People sell those?!? Wait... People actually buy them, lol? Be all right if they were, IDK, <$1/each and you had some way to guarantee they weren't pollinated by a hermaphrodite or a female that so easily became stressed into producing opposite-sex flowers that it might as well have been. Which is often how sacks of "sinsemilla" get seeded.

Decent seeds are exponentially cheaper than the bud they can produce would otherwise cost. . . .

Maybe it is not for someone who wants to get a good bud. It is not the same with a lot of popular seed banks that we have now.

I think it really depends on the emotion and imagination of the customer. Some might feel that they just want to grow it out of curiousity. Or not a big deal and just want to buy and try it. They might just love growing or want to experience and learn the strains in a certain place. It is a bit of gamble but i don't think it is a waste. Growing is always a lovely experience.

I talked to the admins through their facebook page. They added me on their fb and their groups. They are nice and explained a bit about the startup. They say that they are still in infancy. They say they can't guarantee anything as they want to post it as bagseeds. Everyone could be a vendor. They say that chance of getting a hermie from bagseeds is normal. They say that even the vendors are trusted, the theme of the site is no one can guarantee the strain. They are all bagseeds from somewhere. We will depend on the feedback for the most trusted and most popular vendor. The experience of those who bought. The strains they got to a certain vendor. Since the startup is still in its infancy then the site is for those who love to buy it as a gift that will give them surprise. A surprise of whatever will grow.

I think later on, we will see a lot of good seeds that bought to a certain vendor. Great vendors will show up too when a lot of great customers arrive. I hope to get more infos there through their forum soon.

My point of buying was it is from a certain city in a certain country. For example, the seeds i will get from the seeds vendor from Bangalore will be nice because it came from somewhere in India even if ever it is not the seed that was mentioned at the item listed. Plus, i will able to explore what they smoke there. Maybe it is for a certain kind of grower. Not for those who will grow for the buds to get a harvest that they will consume.

They say that even the vendors are trusted

Well, that "sounds" nice, but...

Everyone could be a vendor.

Including a DEA agent, lol? I've always been wary of those "anyone can sell through this website" kind of deals. But more so now, when the head of the administration so obviously wants to make sure there is "an enemy." After all, history shows us that, if one cannot be found, one tends to get created.

They say that chance of getting a hermie from bagseeds is normal.

Well, yeah, but that normal is potentially higher when one has no way of knowing whether it was because there was a male present (perhaps unintentionally, but still within wind-pollination range (if grown outdoors)) or, instead, if the pollinator was a nearby female... that wasn't (or even a self-pollination). The purchaser obviously has no way of knowing this, but the grower might also not really know.

IDK. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances, as they say. You could end up with something decent, just as easily as not.

For example, the seeds i will get from the seeds vendor from Bangalore will be nice because it came from somewhere in India even if ever it is not the seed that was mentioned at the item listed.

It would be nice to get landrace seeds (or some kind of "partial-landrace" cross). Does the seller state that this is what it is, or it is more along the lines of "I live HERE, and I have these seeds from a bud of some sort to sell," perhaps? I have read that with the spread of seedbanks (and Internet access :rolleyes: ), more and more people from "traditional" areas have access to worked strains, and that many have begun growing them, either from curiosity or due to the potency stats of those strains. I've even read rumors that one of the "Seed breeder rep goes on the hunt for landrace varieties" people from a few years back was passing out some of his seeds in exchange for landrace seeds. I don't know if that's fact or merely a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I hope you end up with something interesting and fairly stable - enjoyable, too.

Maybe look at the Real Seed Company. They have seeds from India and Nepal that are what they say they are.

Yes, if you are a regular customer looking for the exact strain then you just have to search from the website of normal seed banks. Most of them have landraces listed. I think bagseeds.com has different market. Lets see what will be their future. If we will able to see too some new discovered strains discovered and tested by different customers. Maybe if they got a lot of customers and vendors then probably the competition of the vendors will become high. Great vendors will come out or maybe the vendors will try their best to sell the best seeds they can have. They will build their reputation at the site to get a lot of regular customers and money.

Maybe look at the Real Seed Company. They have seeds from India and Nepal that are what they say they are.

I noticed that they have at least one Afropips strain. I remember thinking, "Those Afropips strains seem like they'd be interesting, I'll have to grow some one of these years." Then that entity went away. Didn't he die (or was that the father - or son - I'm thinking of?)?

Are there any Mongolian strains extant?

Ever find yourself wishing that one of those grave robbers archaeologists will break into someone's tomb, find a big sealed container of cannabis seeds, manage to grow at least a couple, and produce a bunch of seeds, lol? I'd be all over those.

Well, that "sounds" nice, but...

Including a DEA agent, lol? I've always been wary of those "anyone can sell through this website" kind of deals. But more so now, when the head of the administration so obviously wants to make sure there is "an enemy." After all, history shows us that, if one cannot be found, one tends to get created.

I hope you end up with something interesting and fairly stable - enjoyable, too.

Maybe not like that with DEA. They say it is a startup and they are only inviting those vendors where cannabis seeds are legal in their country.

Obviously, you are not included to their market :)

Thank you. I hope to get a beautiful plant from it. Even it is not stable or hermies. It is fine. But we never know what surprise it will give me :)

HAHA Broccoli Man! I remember that story well.

I’m sure they have old seeds like that, maybe with tissue culture we will see it someday. I’ve read where they’ve found cannabis seeds in tombs in Egypt.

I brought that up to Sam skunkman on ICM years ago and he said that he received some of those 2000+ year old seeds found in one of the Gobi gravesites and wasn't able to germinate them.

here's some examples ..Ancient Cannabis 'Burial Shroud' Discovered in Desert Oasis

Phytochemical and genetic analyses of ancient cannabis from Central Asia

Makes me think what buds do I want to be buried with? I better work on my AfterLife strain.

Ran across purported Kona Gold in a dispensary & had to give it a try—Kona was the first really good weed I had in the 70s (didn’t find Columbian or Thai until a bit later).

While there’s no knowing if it was has the true heirloom strain lineage, it’s a great sativa! Very trippy & upper. Dirt cheap, too. As is most everything testing at <20% in OR these days (the Kona tested at 19%).

I’m just glad to see dispensaries carrying good sativas & heirlooms. Maybe it’ll help rekindle interest in these strains. If there’s enough interest, maybe some of these strains will persist despite ongoing genetic homogenization via commercialization.

The future’s unwritten.

OAXACAN GOLD
SK OCT 13 2014 011.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 018.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 024.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 027.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 027.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 061.JPG
SK OCT 13 2014 030.JPG
Original green line of Oaxacan gold

Back
Top Bottom