Landrace Genetics 101

The more I read about what is happening with regards to breeding and probably in a few years all hybrids will be like generic aspirin, All the same shiz, the more I want to hold onto and preserve the strains I've been working for the last 15-20 years or so. Even in Africa the original landraces and heirlooms are mostly gone save for a few people like myself who don't have too much interest in hybrids. Not to say anything is wrong with hybrids just have to weed through a lot to find a keeper. Even today what is sold as land race or even just pure African sativa is almost never what it's sold as. In fact the majority is just plain old swazi (our staple in SA). You get hold of Malawi, it's swaz . Get some Durban, pondo, transkei , Lesotho...it's all swaz. It's a pity because there is really no substitute for the real deals. They are on another level. Sure some might not be as potent as modern strains but some are and what's special to me is that the plants evolved for centuries to be what they are so why change what nature perfected. I don't know , maybe my views are way off but they are my views either way. I get a good feeling when I read through journals like this and see there are others with the same views as myself.
Have a kickass day to all

Heirlooms will come back around, but mostly as a connoisseur segment of the market imo. It’s gonna happen, cause seasoned users will eventually get bored with hybrids, but also it has a chance of becoming something exclusive, that nobody else smokes.

Saying that there’s strong drive towards relaxing/couchlock hybrids on the legal market, but I also see it here. Sure, people will smoke more uplifting strains, but mostly cause they don’t have much of a choice. But if shit got legalised, then it’d be mostly indica market, cause people are too stressed and preoccupied with where all this is going, so they wanna forget about it and switch off their brains. Nobody wants to ride it out by getting blasted into hyperspace with psychedelic sativa :)

Another thing... in the early 70’s there was a switch from psychedelics to blow around the world, although it was also the beginning of golden age of landrace sativas.

Many experts claim it happened due to 60’s hangover, Nixonian oppression and later due to oil crisis and recession. People wanted to get anaesthetised. Obviously indicas weren’t available that much, but if they were people would probably choose those over sativas.

Well they took over later together with crack and heroin. And now it’s fentanyl and similar synthetic opioids that are the problem for the very same reason, they are stupor drugs which allow to hide in your safety zone instead of facing reality.

That's interesting info Conrad. In Africa sativa were kinda thought of as eh kak weed. They were grown horribly. I remember when that was all you could get. If you were lucky you got some good sativa or luckier you got mind blowing stuff. I remember when the indicas made their appearance here and it was full scale indica madness. Everywhere. I think to a degree it's still like that. Mostly hybrids though. Before internets and stuff we south Africans were always a year or two behind the rest of the world. An aspect of apartheid for sure. Interesting to read how it happened on the other side of the world. Cheers

Yeah I know me too... I just smoked my leftover King Tut, which is basically AK-47 in the very haze and this is like old school sativa, but with upped potency, great daytime smoke... but what I was going to say is that we're not really good indication of where the market's going, cause we grow stuff that ALMOST NEVER ends up on the shelves :laugh:

Mulange all knocked up.

And while I have you here @tropics , I thought this was interesting. The cut on the right is my Purple Malawi and the two on the left are from a Purple Satellite. The stems look identical, and the leaves aren't too far off either.

Mulange all knocked up.

And while I have you here @tropics , I thought this was interesting. The cut on the right is my Purple Malawi and the two on the left are from a Purple Satellite. The stems look identical, and the leaves aren't too far off either.
Hey Morglie!
PERFECT! I would not be able to tell the difference, very cool and the ladies are looking luscious, I really like #2 Mulanje.
Did you take cuts from bigger plants?

Hey Morglie!
PERFECT! I would not be able to tell the difference, very cool and the ladies are looking luscious, I really like #2 Mulanje.
Did you take cuts from bigger plants?
Number 2 was the one that stalled out badly when my soil biota died. I was questionable on whether it would survive, but it's bounced back and is going strong.

The number 1 Mulanje has the strongest aroma. She started to smell of lime today. I took cuts off all of them, but had clone issues and had already started them flowering when the cuttings died on me, so I won't be able to properly sample Mulange until I grow these seeds out.

Green Mountain Grape Oaxacan Gold purple line X Nepali Highland Sativa X Proprietary Heirloom mostly Sativa.
two land races crossed to an heirloom.
Look for Fall Release through ACE seeds

HAWAIIAN SATIVA BREED AND GMG UPDATE 014.JPG

Back
Top Bottom