Landrace Genetics 101

So you're using a shorter daylight cycle with the Far Red ...

You shouldn't get a loss of yield. At 77W per sqft, the DLI is at saturation ...

(I've been chain smoking one-hitters in preparation for a hot shower, so my head may be off somewhere else. :cheesygrinsmiley: :Rasta: - speaking of which, I think I'm stoned now, so ... :slide: )

So you're using a shorter daylight cycle with the Far Red ...

You shouldn't get a loss of yield. At 77W per sqft, the DLI is at saturation ...

(I've been chain smoking one-hitters in preparation for a hot shower, so my head may be off somewhere else. :cheesygrinsmiley: :Rasta: - speaking of which, I think I'm stoned now, so ... :slide: )

Yes but not by a lot, running 11/13 flower and was going to go 10/14 mid way to shorten the
flower time further but looking at the size starting week 8 I figured she can use the extra time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: ops gotta go take uncle to Doc appt

Less electricity, (fewer hours of daylight) faster finish on long running sativas
but with a loss in yield it does not make sense.

could be the way I am using the far-red maybe only in Veg

Icemud ran a journal on it, found out pretty much what you said, the less days of flowering gave less weight.

here the journal:..............Here.

and a random quote from it about the far red...

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Thanks Norcaliwood...

Yea this grow was a test of using Far Red light to "trick" the plant into having a shorter flowering cycle. It did work as intended and I cut 12 days off my harvests of multiple strains, however, with 12 less days of flowering, it also reduced the weight (which was pretty much expected). I do think that far red light may have some use but more has to be experimented with to see if its beneficial or not.

This grow though didn't have to do with lack of spectrrum though as my lights are full spectrum. It was just a test of using far red light for 15 minutes after the normal lights went out :)

I do agree that plants need a full spectrum though. But the balance of what wavelengths, is still not known completely as there are 2 sides to plant lighting. (how a light drives photosynthesis, and how the plant reacts by photomorphogenics) Photosynthesis is closely related to the Mcree curve however its mainly based on absorbed photons which on the modified mcree curve, most wavelengths are absorbed nearly equal. Green is absorbed slightly less by about 15% but not by much, and at high intensity this actually changes and becomes more efficient than other colors. So when thinking in terms of photosynthesis, there is very little difference between the wavelengths where a completely blue spectrum will keep up with a full spectrum white light, at the same PPFD. However, the morphologiccal effects of the blue spectrum vs the white spectrum will be completely different. We know a lot about the photosynthesis spectrum, but not much about the morphological effects which scientists are still trying to figure out.

So this far red grow I did was the results of testing morphological response. Using UV-B light is also a morphological response which activates a SAR response.

How does one even find landrace these days?
Therr are several breeders to focus on landrace. Ace being the most popular, but you also have the real seed company, tropical seed company, and seeds of Africa. Some breeder's may have one, or two true, or close to true landraces, but those companies are the main places you can pick them up.

Therr are several breeders to focus on landrace. Ace being the most popular, but you also have the real seed company, tropical seed company, and seeds of Africa. Some breeder's may have one, or two true, or close to true landraces, but those companies are the main places you can pick them up.
The reason I'm asking is because I was informed yesterday when a site says 100% sativa or even landrace sativa that it really isn't pure because they breed it with other things and so on. We got on the topic because I just dropped Durban Posion a few days ago.

The reason I'm asking is because I was informed yesterday when a site says 100% sativa or even landrace sativa that it really isn't pure because they breed it with other things and so on. We got on the topic because I just dropped Durban Posion a few days ago.
ive got one of those going rite now it looks like a skunk Durban it said pure sativa landrace so I went for it and this is what I got!
from 420!

ive got one of those going rite now it looks like a skunk Durban it said pure sativa landrace so I went for it and this is what I got!
from 420!
I got mine from our new sponsors New420Guyseeds. Says pure landrace sativa. I'm only a couple days in so far but she was the 4th to break ground and nearly doubles in size to the others I started at the same time. ( different various strains )

Ace has a few heirloom strains they use, but if you look through the details at the bottom you can see which those are. RSC and seeds of Africa both focus on pure landrace. Tropical seeds, make sure you read the description. They mix some other strains in some of theirs, but they are mostly landrace as well.

Knowing that cannabis in general reaches ‘sexual maturity’ anywhere from 4-6 weeks and will start flowering at that time (if the light cycle is right)...

This is obviously going to vary from strain to strain and I’m wondering if anyone has a read on this timing specifically for the Purple Satellite - so for @tropics and folks who have grown it and might have an idea (@Morglie @lazyfish @dynamo1 ).

For example, if sometime were to grow it out 12/12 from seed, about when would it likely start to flower?
:Namaste:

Knowing that cannabis in general reaches ‘sexual maturity’ anywhere from 4-6 weeks and will start flowering at that time (if the light cycle is right)...

This is obviously going to vary from strain to strain and I’m wondering if anyone has a read on this timing specifically for the Purple Satellite - so for @tropics and folks who have grown it and might have an idea (@Morglie @lazyfish @dynamo1 ).

For example, if sometime were to grow it out 12/12 from seed, about when would it likely start to flower?
:Namaste:
I only grew out two of them and don't recall when they reached maturity. They didn't seem faster than other strains. The key to it finishing so early is because it starts to flower really early. Indoors, they seem to want to flower once your lighting goes under 16 hours. Mine were in a spot that only gets about 6 hours of direct light a day and they started to flower in mid June.

@Orlando Scout
Thanks again for the tip brother! He'll sell me some 1977 Maui Wowie seeds. They are a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I didnt see them anywhere in their seed store that weren't already crossed with somthing else. I think maybe it was my request as I explained to him what I wanted to do in my experiment. If so, that is pretty dang awesome. Anyway, I will probably order them on the 1st and pop them as soon as my Vulx comes in. I'll definitely journal this one. I already have a sample of Vulx, but maybe if I do a 6 plant comparative grow growing 3 with vulx and three without, I can talk him into sponsoring it. You never know. Later all.

You mean send you some more? I mean, sure.

Interesting question. I have not seen tropics lately...........wtf
Tropics, processed his garden harvest, winterized his house and headed south for the winter. I thought he may pop back on after he was done with that, but he seems to have fallen off the grid. I haven't looked to see if he's been around in his normal forums. I may have to take a look over there.

Tropics sells the Purple Satellite through Ace seeds. Not sure about the other stuff.
I only grew out two of them and don't recall when they reached maturity. They didn't seem faster than other strains. The key to it finishing so early is because it starts to flower really early. Indoors, they seem to want to flower once your lighting goes under 16 hours. Mine were in a spot that only gets about 6 hours of direct light a day and they started to flower in mid June.
Thanks Morgs. That’s exactly the kind of experience i was hoping someone had. So do you remember when it sprouted?

I bought it precisely because of its being quick to flower :thumb: The reason i’m curious about time-to-maturity is that it’s defnitely not going to get the 16 hours of light here at all. I’m aiming to start it at a time where it will hopefully go into flower close to the same time as everything else (mid-late January here). That may not be possible but no harm in trying right!

Ace seeds just dropped some really interesting Indian sativas. Man I am so tempted for next summer.
here's my Taj after pollination. Buds swelling a bit and purple veining really showing today.
taj1115.jpg

Back
Top Bottom