Landrace Genetics 101

Knowing that cannabis in general reaches ‘sexual maturity’ anywhere from 4-6 weeks and will start flowering at that time (if the light cycle is right)...

This is obviously going to vary from strain to strain and I’m wondering if anyone has a read on this timing specifically for the Purple Satellite - so for @tropics and folks who have grown it and might have an idea (@Morglie @lazyfish @dynamo1 ).

For example, if sometime were to grow it out 12/12 from seed, about when would it likely start to flower?
:Namaste:
Hi Amy, wanted to add my current exp. with Purple Satellite. Not sure I can answer your question directly, but here is what I experienced. For the record, I topped once and ran a SCROG as I have limited head room.

Refer back to post #3247. You will see that one of my PS was showing maleness at 20 days from seed!

On day 30 from seed, PS #1 showed female preflowers.

Having discussed with tropics, et al the lighting requirements for PS, I opted for the following reduction in lighting.

I ran 18/6 to start. On day 39 from seed, I began decreasing the light schedule by 1 hour every four days for four times and then every three days until I got to 11/13. Keep in mind that a male showed under 18/6 at 20 days and a female showed a preflower at day 30 at 18/6.

At day 51 from seed, at 13/11 (still in the process of going to 11/13), growth tips were thickening and getting furry with numerous pistils. I counted this as day 1 of flowering. I don't have a pic of "day 1" but the first pic below is day 6 for flower, or day 57 from seed.

From then on, they really took off. Today, 49 days into flowering and day 104 from seed, I harvested a couple of branches from one of the plants. The second pic is one of the colas I took. The rest of this plant and its sister need another week or two to finish. Pics below.

So, I don't have a definitive answer for your question as to when flowering would start under 12/12, but based on my experience I would say flowering could start as early as day 40 from seed..

One final comment. Note the "red" stalks in the last pic. Are your's showing red? Also, I have removed the lower buds twice and they keep coming back! Loving this plant!

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg

Tropics sells the Purple Satellite through Ace seeds. Not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks Morgs. That’s exactly the kind of experience i was hoping someone had. So do you remember when it sprouted?

I bought it precisely because of its being quick to flower :thumb: The reason i’m curious about time-to-maturity is that it’s defnitely not going to get the 16 hours of light here at all. I’m aiming to start it at a time where it will hopefully go into flower close to the same time as everything else (mid-late January here). That may not be possible but no harm in trying right!
I need to check my notes when I get home. I know I started them later than I wanted to, as my original order got snatched at customs, so Lazyfish sent me a few of his seeds to run.

I cut mine around 8-9 weeks since pistols showed, as all the pistols were turned and receding, but smoking it, it seems like it should have gone a couple more weeks. I'm thinking it's a 10-11 week strain. It's the fact that it starts flowering so early that makes it good for the higher/lower latitudes like ours.

Ace seeds just dropped some really interesting Indian sativas. Man I am so tempted for next summer.
here's my Taj after pollination. Buds swelling a bit and purple veining really showing today.
taj1115.jpg
Plants looking nice and frosty

Thanks for the info on the Indian strains. They appear to have added an Indian seed collective that is being distributed through Ace's site. Very nice looking cultivars.

A lot of those were collected by Coco Genes in there indigenous locations. Coco Genes also sets up expeditions when he goes collecting at harvest time. I’m sure if you had the time and money you could join them.

I don't know of anyone selling them as a landrace. There are some in crosses I've seen, but the breeders mostly seen to want to keep the straight landraces to themselves.

Tropics uses a line in Purple Satellite that he's been maintaining since' 79.

Thanks Pennywise...will check them out. Think it unlikely to be like the 70's ones of legend.

And yes Morglie....I read tropics thread and how he's been working with the same Oaxacan strain for over 40 years. The clones he pictured were very uniform and I imagine kept true to their parentage. His Purple Sat. Looks awesome as well.

Recall him saying he believes he has the earliest maturing sativa anywhere...and I believe him

ok this is Malawi starting to flower its at 11/13 yesterday shes looking pretty happy man this girl doesn't want any n not even ewc tea just water so far no problem I can do just water lol!

maybe you want to see this im calling it my skunk Durban these buds are looking pretty good!

ok that's it for now have a good one! :)

Back
Top Bottom