Laquer Head's Indoor Organic Obsession: 2018

Had trouble uploading pictures today, all wanted to turn sideways on me...what a pain. Anyway here's a shot of the whole tent! When in the world do I trim this cover crop!? Its going wild! Do we just leave it until it gets blocked out from light? Definitely going to get a good bit of organic matter out of it so that's cool.

Then we have the Dark Devil! Canoeing has pretty much stopped, fairly certain that was a watering issue. Possibly air exchange issue. Its definitely gained some girth on its stem though!

LA Con has picked up a little. Not much to show for, for being at day 23 but progress is being made so I'm happy with that!

Still haven't watered so to speak, been about 4 days since they got a thorough watering. And gave them a light neem/kelp foliar this morning, only enough to saturate the ladies and cover crop (not the soil). The soil is still moist somehow so that's pretty neat, guess ill continue to hold off on watering until they ask for it? Sounds like the thing to do anyways.
Wasn't even sure about giving them the foliar but I haven't implemented my IPM yet so I thought the neem might help keep any pests at bay. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them in any way! For the neem/kelp tea I mixed up:
1.5 tsp kelp meal
2.5 tsp neem/karanja meal
.25 tsp aloe vera 200x
.5 tsp ful power
.5 tsp silica
I let the kelp/neem/fulvic sit for 20 hrs in mason jar then strained into my chapin filled with 1 gal water/aloe/silica. Sprayed at lights on as its not oil based in any way.

Ive heard you can start foliars/IPM at first true set of leaves..can anyone confirm this? I want to be diligent with this pest PREVENTION but dont want to cause the ladies any unnecessary harm. I would really prefer to use a neem/essential oil foliar by Wednesday or Thursday of this week if nobody wants to try and talk me out of it!? Lol

I would let them get a couple weeks old before you start doing too much with them. But I am also a big advocate of trying new things so if you have a couple seedlings and you don't mind one having issues, give it a spray at a young age and see how she reacts!

That's what I'm saying Pennywise! When I first joined Grasscity Van Stanks told me that if I were to ask 10 people, 9 of those people would all have some kind of different advise/response..so I try to go between the lines and go with my gut. Hopefully it works out for me! Thanks for following along :)

I most definitely will take it easy, I would rather my plants be a little behind than having burnt them or killed them. I'm just trying to cover my IPM is all (my reason for spraying this morning). I REALLY dont want to get an infestation like ive seen so many people have. And their #1 regret is usually not keeping up on an IPM schedule!

Hey LaquerHead - I made it over and am subbing up! Grow is off to a great start and you’ve got some of the good folk here helping you out already it looks like :thumb:

I can say that one of the biggest learning curves for me was how long they can, and like, to go before you water them. Honestly - a really long time between watering at this stage is important (I know of excellent growers here who have let up to 3 weeks go by in veg without water). Maybe the auto-flower not quite as long but for sure I left mine for up to 2 weeks without water at times during VEG and they absolutely loved it (and you’ve seen how they look now!). It’s what gets the roots going, working hard to find moisture and makes them throw out more fine root hairs which will do more for the plant. Once in flower you want to keep them good and watered (never dry out) but in VEG you definitely want them to dry out to almost wilting (only almost, not actually wilting, just on the verge of it). That they’re still a little droopy suggests ‘too wet’ to me still. Give it a try, see how long you can go! I remember being at a point of thinking wow they’ll surely need water soon, then over the next week (of still no water) they just looked better and better and got super perky and praying to the light. Push yourself to push them a bit and let them dry out almost completely before the next water and see how it goes. There’s plenty in your soil - they won’t want for anything! (It might also get that cover crop to slow down a bit!).

Glad I made it over to your journal - you’ve got an awesome grow space going there - going to be some excellent cannabis coming out of there :cheer:

:love::popcorn:

That length between waterings you speak of Amy, how big are the pots? I am growing in 7 and 10 gallons this time and I am getting about 7 days between waterings before I start to see the plant tell me they are ready for more. I can't imagine going 2 weeks unless they were in 15+ gallon pots.

Why thank you, thank you! Welcome to my journal :). I sure hope it produces some quality meds! As you were saying with watering, I'm still holding off as of now. Been about 8 days and its definitely still moist in the first inch. So much for my watering schedule I THOUGHT I had planned out haha. Guess we'll implement that at a later time. I did give the top layer of the DD a mist but probably didn't amount to more than a 1/2 cup. It seems to be settling in a little sooner. Thanks for stopping by! :ciao:

Probably going to trim the cover crop up this weekend, beginning to wonder if my pots can even hold all of it after chopping! I suppose the worms would enjoy any of the leftovers.
Will be snapping a picture of the DD tonight. Began making some new crazy/mutated growth. Was just on Bobs thread talking about this! So now I'm wondering if its genetics, tm-7, or possibly the ful-power. Though none have been used to much extent. Ful-power a couple times and tm-7 for the very initial watering. Hmm.
Am also considering topping the LA Con pretty soon as well. Would like to do a kind of flux training. Probably won't be textbook but just gonna roll with it and try and get the monster structure I want. IF it goes as planned and I have the patience, it should fill out the one half of the tent! :slide:

That length between waterings you speak of Amy, how big are the pots? I am growing in 7 and 10 gallons this time and I am getting about 7 days between waterings before I start to see the plant tell me they are ready for more. I can't imagine going 2 weeks unless they were in 15+ gallon pots.

Depends on the age of the plant too I guess. One of the other growers I refer to was Radogast on an earlier grow of his - he transplanted into a soaked 7gal pot and then didn’t water for 20+ days, that plant looked awesome. My own have been in various sizes so various times between water, but never bigger than 7gal. In my small pots (like one gal) they were easily going a week or more before water and loving it. I was overwatering and then a few folks advised me strongly to stop watering and see what happened - so I did. Never looked back. If the plant is bigger then for sure it;s going to drink more. But seedling to early veg a big watering (full soak) much less often is definitely the way to go. There;s nothing wrong with your growing approach that’s for sure! Your girls speak to that. I was just seeing that the babies here are stil droopy and that speaks to too much water (droop is different to wilt ;) ) - so I encourage LH to push it to the edge and see how they like it! I found I could push them quite a bit more than I’d thought and the results were actually very good. Keeping them wet or moist during veg makes the them lazy...

Oh I would be thrilled if I only had to water every two weeks. I love being a lazy grower! I like waking up, stopping by the tent on the way downstairs for my caffine and refilling the humidifier, saying hi, making sure everything in the environment is good and then zipping the tent back up until I need to take pictures or I look at my clipboard for each strain and seeing when the next watering is due! I love being able to keep my girls happy in an average of 5-10 minutes per day.

Don't mistake that for me saying I don't like to spend more time with them IF I CHOOSE! But I hate being handcuffed into constant attention.....I mean no one likes a high maintenance girl right?

Back
Top Bottom