Large fan leaves yellowing and dying. First grow.

Osirus

420 Member
IMG_20140119_203745.jpg
IMG_20140119_203729.jpg
IMG_20140119_203657.jpg
IMG_20140119_203648.jpg

SOIL GROW

Strain - Big girl is Northern lights/indica hybrid , Little girl is Unknown.
# of Plants - 2
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon
Lights - (1) 600 Watt MH
Nutrients - Bio thrive 4-3-3, only fed once at (1) tsp per half gallon in its life Jan 13. One watering before transplant into 5 Gallon.
Medium - 15% Perlite 85% Happy Frog Soil.
PPM - Unknown.
PH of water given - 7.0
Run off PH - Big girl 5.0 , Little girl 6.0
RH - 50%
Room Temperature -74°- 78° day , 66°-69° night
Solution Temperature -Unknown, room temperature.
Room Square Footage - 4x4x8
Pests - None Known

Problem: Leaves of big girl are yellowing and dying. After I added the nutrient I noticed the pH run off of Big girl dropped to 5.0, little girl was 6.0 and unaffected by the nutrient. I only had a half gallon of water at the time so I put (1) tsp to half gallon. Recommended light feeding was (2) tsp per gallon, so I just halfed it. Jan 13 was the first time I ever tried nutrient and this is what happened.. I do believe the pH is just way too low and it may be locked out. Any suggestions? I hear happy frog is a very acidy soil. BTW I only have the drops to measure pH so I just use whole decimals. Also I did a transplant Jan 16 into 5 gallon, watered with plain 7.0 water. Now just waiting for next water to correct pH.

You want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil. I would flush your plants with pH 6.5 adjusted water until the runoff pH is the same as the input pH. Your leaf problems appear to be from a nutrient lockout.

here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply. Would you suggest i do a flush right away or next watering? I just watered 3 days ago, so its still fairly wet.

Thank you for the quick reply. Would you suggest i do a flush right away or next watering? I just watered 3 days ago, so its still fairly wet.

I would flush your plants now if the yellowing is progressing fast.

I figured the potential hazards of nute lock out are worse than over watering. Thanks for the advice, ill try it and post a follow up. It does seem rather fast.

Hm.. No matter how many gallons of 7.0 (light green) i pour in it, the ph wont go any higher than 6.0 (bright yellow). Im on gallon number 20 and this is only a 5 gallon pot. It did raise it from 5.0 to 6.0 though.. Should i try adding a buffer after this soil dries out next watering?

You could try to add a buffer to your nutrient solution next time you water or top dress. Do not use baking soda as a buffer, it contains too much sodium. Just make sure you continue to water with pH 6.5 adjusted water.

Back
Top Bottom