Leaf curl - Claw - Purpling of fanleaf stems

Re: leaf curl(claw) purpling of fam leaf stems

ok so checked ph and yep its close to 7.
i have some ph down liquid so i have brought the ph down on my stored water to 6.6, the is no 6.5 on the colour chart so that should be close enough and i should have enough water to last til the end of the week. i wouldnt of thought that neutral water would of caused the plant problems but because everything has been working fine until now.
it would be great if some other 420 growers would agree that a ph7 instead of 6.5 could cause plant problems?

A PH of 7 isn't the worst thing in soil. It won't kill most grows, but it can contribute some stress, depending on how finicky the strain is. Think of strains and phenotypes (phenotype means it has the same parents, so all seeds from a plant are phenos,, like brothers and sisters) like people... Every one is different and unique.

When you water, is the top of your soil completely dry?

The more common causes of stunted growth are overwatering, not enough light, or a really out of whack PH (like my plant ended up with a PH of 4 something, when it was supposed to be 6.5, blame the cheap meter, not me :) )

Watch your watering schedule closely now. The top of the soil should be completely dry, like dust.. And this forms an insulating layer, so the remaining moisture in the soil doesn't dry as fast by the air, and its almost completely up to the plant to absorb the rest of the water.

Don't get mad if you don't get the answer you want, its called brainstorming or throwing ideas out there so YOU can decide what's best for your plant. I looked at your grow report and everything looks normal except for you adding more perlite ( google how it works ) I have done this you pour water in and it drains fine but now soil feels like gravel. The soil and perlite can't hold anymore water because your not letting it dry out, thus drowning your plant. That is MY opinion, take it or leave it. Good Luck and i hope you find the answer your looking for. :jawdropper::peacetwo:

i never added more perlite just roughly 40% that was mixed in at the start.
i am wondering if the potting soil is more alkaline based so it would have a slightly higher ph valve and miracle grow feed has pushed it higher causing the problem. i have never used this soil before and just used it cause i had it. lack of info on the bag it came in. so iv maybe made a problem for myself by using it.
the plant pot aint even that heavy. i would normally water tonight but i wont as i had gave it the normal 1.5ltr and then added an extra 0.5ltr and the most recent pics show over watering. when i do water again i will check ph on run off

That sounds like a real plan! Next time find some soil that has Limestone in it. That way your ph won't go over 7. It's to late now since they have started to flower.

no offence to you antics but i would of thought that with the knowledge base on this forum help would of been a bit more forthcoming?

The forum is comprised primary of mature people, with various jobs, responsibilities, families, etc.. Replies don't pop up immediately because we typically don't have a load of forum members lurking around, waiting for a new post to go blabber on about nonsense, offer no real help to aid the poster with their query, and then just go on with another 2 paragraphs loaded with typos as he explains how stoned he is, then types an exceedingly long 'hahahahaha'

It sucks during those times when you feel you urgently need help, but as soon as someone has time, they'll reply and help as much as they can.

Now there also exists a possibility that out of the 224 people that have viewed this thread (as of right now), several could have been members coming to give you an answer, but might have agreed with my advice, and decided not to post a response. I've gone into tons of topics where everything I would have said is already said by others, so I can move on and use my time elsewhere. I'm sure others do the same thing.

:Namaste:

cheers cruizer. yep i will have to do that now anyway as i had added extra water last night to see if that helped but the lower leafs drooped worse. the soil seems to drain well but it has went very granular/seperated near the top. i will do a ph test of the run off once it dries out. beginning to think the moisture test rod gauge i have is telling lies.

dont use a "moisture test rod gauge" heft the pot, if its light water it, if it has some weight don't water it. also anything out of range on the ph can cause problems, so yes a high ph can lock out nutes. and your using a color test not a meter, so your ph of 7 could be higher or lower.

thanks for the input there go4snypr
iv had a bit of time to think about the grow now and im a bit happier with it now.
agreed that lifting the pot makes sense, i was trying to avoid any clumsy lifting and scorching the canopy on the light but i'll just need to be careful and lift it. i had watered it on monday and then left it be until last night/thursday and lifted it and noticed it was quite light so instead of 1.5 ltr of water i gave it just 1 ltr. i will try 4 days between watering but lift also. a bit of a learning curve!!
im thinking that some of the new growth on the bottom 3rd of the plant not looking so sprightly is maybe because the 250 watt bulb is now not penetrating so well as before.
the claw leaf curl that is present on maybe half a dozen smaller/new growth fan leafs has maybe been caused by a lack of oxygen/nuit block and also some leaf tips were curling and that is maybe the same thing. the general health of the plant looked ok but the constant slight over watering has gradually taking its toll on the plant.
last night the fan leafs looked healthy without any really noticeable leaf tip curl.
so i think once i fine tune the watering everything should be good. currently 2 hrs before lights come on and temp is sitting at 67'f and humidity 46%.

Wow, leafy. I would have thought with all that help you got here, a thank you and/or apology would of been a bit more forthcoming?

I'm still in disbelief. Ah, well. Stress will do that.....
:Namaste:

I will just add that I agree that leafty is not watering correctly. Leafty, it is critical to let a weed dry out all the way to the bottom while in veg...
I wrote an article on this that has been made a sticky thread on every forum I have posted it to. I invite you to read it...

Basically, by adding a certain amount of water that you have determined to be correct, and doing it on a schedule that you have also determined for the plant, you are doing this all wrong. If you want to grow quality buds, you are going to have to adjust your methods and let your plants think for themselves. Incoming PH is indeed important, as is how often and how much you water.

A couple of other hints... Measuring your run off pH is a waste of time... it tells you nothing other than that your water passed through the soil and changed its pH... big deal. A coffee percolator does that. Make sure your incoming pH is correct, the soil will drift as it is designed to do.

If lifting is too much for you, (and for me it is with large 7 gallon containers) just slide them. You can easily tell with a quick shove if the container is light or not.

Lastly, be nice. The advice you get here is for free, but not without expectations of civility within the community.

Since this thread is 6 months old, this is too little, too late, but I agree with Emilya. That plant looked to be watered incorrectly and badly over watered.

Back
Top Bottom